February 01, 2020

How Does God Refresh You? By Sandi Somers


Our theme this month focuses on how profoundly we need God’s refreshment, especially when winter is still with us. We’re tired of the cold and snow. Or we’re exhausted after extended demands. Some days it seems as though our spirits are caught in a deep freeze. Our resources become depleted and we long for the warm breath of God to renew our faith and creative endeavours.

As I was preparing this blog in mid-January, much of Western Canada experienced a deep freeze when temperatures dipped to lows we hadn't seen in years. (Alberta’s record low was -47.) Even the penguins at the Calgary zoo couldn’t handle the cold weather!

Calgary in -30 weather
 I thought of the many times when life has hit me like a winter blizzard. I became overextended or exhausted with health needs, disturbed through grief, or simply downcast and anxious. I needed God’s refreshment.  
Two of our bloggers in January chose words of the year that reflected on rest and refreshment. Alan Anderson’s “Rest” resonated with many readers, judging by the number of comments he received. Pam Mytroen chose “Renewal”. How much she needed God to breathe His life into her and renew her mind, body and spirit! Her renewal is not a search for what to do but who to be. (Both these blogs are worth a wonderful reread!)
What does God say to us during these times? God knows we don't have unlimited resources. He knows we need respite, even when we don’t always realize how critical our need is until we're totally worn out. He comes to us with the gentle touch of Himself, like the welcome Chinook winds blowing into Southern Alberta.
In January, within four days of our frigid weather, Chinook winds wafted over the Rocky Mountains, bringing above freezing temperatures. We shed our heaviest coats and mitts, came out of hibernation, visited neighbours, caught up with our shopping, and said how glad we were for warm weather.

Chinook Arch cloud formation
When Chinooks arrive, I love being outside. The air from the low-pressure system carries sounds clearly. I feel as well as hear the children’s clear voices on the outdoor hockey rink, their skates swishing, their hockey sticks ringing against pucks. I hear trains in the distance the way I can’t during storm systems. I even feel the release of pressure on my body.
Like Chinooks, God refreshes our spirits. He has tenderly brought words of promise in my times of chaos. "He restores my soul”, David wrote. (Psalm 23:3). Jesus promised, "Come to me and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). God also promises: “I restore the crushed spirit” (Isaiah 57:15). “I refresh my weary inheritance” (Psalm 68:9).
God also comes with the gentle breeze of His presence. The seventeenth-century monk, Brother Lawrence, thought of God in the present moment. His example reminds me to focus my thoughts back to God in praise and gratitude, whose “mercies are new every morning” (Lamentations 3:22-23).
God brings the gentle breezes of His larger purpose. We may not see this purpose until, well after the crisis, we understand it in hindsight. But we can be sure God has one. “My ways are higher than your ways,” the prophet Isaiah said (55:8-9).
God brings a gentle breeze of His perspective and balance as we reflect on His providential ordering of events. And we know that, as we receive God's strength, we will emerge with stronger faith.
~ ~ ~
God has many creative ways to bring us healing and restoration. Our writers this month will give their perspectives and counsel and will demonstrate how God inspires us to see His redemptive purposes from our winter darkness.
And you? How has God’s gentle breeze brought refreshment to you? How does God restore you, your spirits and/or your writing?
Press into the Lord and claim His peace, His renewal and healing. 


12 comments:

  1. Absolutely refreshing! Remembering His promises has brought me soothing refreshment lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy to read your comment, Lynn, and to know how His promises have brought your soothing refreshment!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Lynn. So refreshing. I loved the description of the sounds too. 'Resting' and enforced respite are in my future as I comment from my hospital bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were refreshed by this blog, Tracy! May God restore you during your enforced respite!!

      Delete
  3. Just seeing the sunlight move on the floor toward its summer position refreshes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun's shining is such a refreshing presence, Bruce. Even tonight I noticed how much later the sun is setting here in Calgary.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I love the phrase and can feel "a gentle breeze of His perspective and balance as we reflect on His providential ordering of events."

    Thank you, Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to comment, Brenda. I have felt so many times that God's presence has come to me like a gentle breeze. May this be true of you, too!

      Delete
  5. I loved this, Sandi: “God brings the gentle breezes of His larger purpose. We may not see this purpose until, well after the crisis, we understand it in hindsight. But we can be sure God has one. “My ways are higher than your ways,” the prophet Isaiah said (55:8-9).”
    I am so thankful that God knows, and has a plan, and redeems our crisis’ and mistakes. He is so good and faithful! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Pam. It's been good for me to focus on God, who restores us. God's plan is so wonderful, and so satisfying when we follow it--and how wonderful to know he redeems our mistakes!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Sandi, for your refreshing message to us today. Like some of our other readers, I appreciate the way you point out that, "God brings the gentle breezes of His larger purpose. . . , "His perspective and balance as we reflect on His providential ordering of events.” Yes, we may not see or understand God’s purpose when we are dealing with the present crisis. We are too close to, and too immersed in the situation.

    Lately, I have seen glimpses of God at work in our present circumstances. Events unfold. Then they are stalled and I reaffirm my belief in God’s omniscience. Again I trust and try to leave the results in his hands, because God’s ways are much higher than my ways. I do have faith, though it may sometimes be as small as a mustard seed. May the Lord help our unbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment, Sharon. Seeing "glimpses of God at work in our present circumstances" is a valuable contribution to our discussion. That is one way God refreshes us.. God bless you and Hank in this sometimes trying and challenging
    season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.