February 13, 2020

My Favorite Sources of R & R for my #Writerslife by Wendy L. Macdonald



There are two especially powerful ways God refreshes my spirit and rejuvenates my writing. Although there are many other channels God’s power and encouragement flow through, the two ways I desire to share with you are my favorites.

The first one is what happens first thing each morning of the week: my quiet time.

I prefer silence when I go to meet with the Lord.  For the last couple of years our home gets noisy once everyone is awake. This has motivated me to rise earlier than I used to. My alarm clock is set for 5:00 am. And because I cherish my morning coffee time with Christ, I’m less likely to tap the snooze button a billion times.

I never considered myself a morning person before. Now I can’t imagine facing the day without savoring time with God first. My couple of hours alone enables me time to read lots of Scripture and write a few paragraphs in my journal. I recently started writing out a prayer each morning, too. This helps me stay focused. Plus, it’s wonderful to look back and realize God answered a detailed request with a detailed yes. Regularly writing out part of The Serenity Prayer helps me accept the no, not now, and maybe replies too.

Each morning I choose a verse of the day from my Bible reading, I pour my heart into my journal, and then I write a poem in response to the verse I chose. Each poem is left to rest for a few weeks and is then edited and published on my Facebook page with a nature picture and Scripture verse I chose.

My second favorite way God rejuvenates my spirit is through my nature walks with my husband.

Because I bring my camera, we tend to notice more things than when I don’t have it handy. Our slowing down to take pictures slows down our thoughts and inspires us to hear God’s still small voice. Many of my Walking with Hope podcasts were inspired by our outings in local parks. My husband often makes an observation that intrigues my writerly mind; next thing you know, I ask him if I can quote his words because they inspired a bunch more of my own.

Many of the Scriptures-pictures I post on my Facebook page and blog are created from the photographs I took while hiking with my husband. Some are nature pictures from our garden.

Nothing rewards me more regarding my poetry and Scripture pictures than when someone on social media says my post was what they needed to read that day. I don’t know if they realize I’m sharing with them the same comfort, refreshment, and rejuvenation I received from God. And besides, we’re supposed to. No wonder it brings us such joy. God is good.

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, 
just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, 
so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort
 we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV

I’m nosy-to-know if you share stuff you discovered during your quiet times? 

You're invited to visit this blog post of mine for more encouraging verses: Words to Encourage You



     

15 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than a quiet prayer time ... if we can get it in this busy life we lead. We seem to have lost our priorities somehow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Victor. Being intentional is the key to solving this problem of lost priorities. It's too easy to let prayer slip to the wayside. The struggle is real.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful way to start you day, Wendy. I was right there with you as you walked me through it. My nature walks with my camera have inspired many of my writings including what I call my "Breathing Spaces." I think we might be kindred spirits in that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Lynn. I love the title: Breathing Spaces. Yes, getting out in nature and spending time thinking about God are breathing spaces for the soul. I enjoy hearing what the Lord has to say to us through His creation as well as through His Word.
      Blessings as you continue to capture both ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  3. Wendy: I truly admire all the ways you have shared your faith, through your writing and your photographs. Ian is a good man who shares his insights and observations with you, so you can creatively inspire your readers. May God continue to shower you with gentle blessings. ~ Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Richard. Ian is often God's spokesman for words I needed to hear from the Lord. He's not a man of many words, but many of the ones he does say are inspired. I suspect you do the same for your life-partner, Mary.
      Blessings to you both as you continue to beautifully share God's natural artwork with the world ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. Glad to hear you're freed from your room with a view.
      Blessings on your body, heart, and writing ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  5. I relate to your time with God in the morning, Wendy. I couldn't do without that time. I also find God out in nature, whether on a brisk walk or a drive into the country. (I need to take my camera along more often!) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. I'm like you, I can't go without time alone with God each morning. I wilt with worry and whither with fear as the day progresses if I haven't filled up on Living Water first.
      Blessings as you drink deeply each day ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  6. I like your idea of writing a poem every day, Wendy. And I love your nature photographs.
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Pam. I remind myself that the old writing quote about not being able to edit a blank page is appropriate for poetry too. Sometimes the first draft stinks, but it marks a place for me to return to and get it right on the second or third or whatever round. :)
      Blessings as you keep writing ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Wendy, for inspiring us with what you glean from you your morning quiet time or your walks with your husband. (I am using “to glean" in the modern sense, where you gather information from various sources, i.e the Bible, nature, your husband, your observations on life.) Your “gleanings” are by no means “leftovers for the poor," as they were in historical times.

      I too appreciate the early mornings--but not quite as early as you do--when all is quiet and duties can wait. I am often amazed when reading the Bible and other material, praying, plus journal writing and reflecting often gets me thinking along the same lines. Before I know it, I have connected ideas that inspire my writing.

      I love your husband’s story of “the little guy” reaching up to you and his analogy that this is like us reaching up to God. Tell your hubby thanks for the story.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, dear Sharon. I passed on your thanks to my husband. You blessed me by reminding me of that story. My husband has inspired so many podcasts of mine that I could probably self-publish a devotional based on those alone. It all started when I became intentional about being still and silent for five more seconds whenever he paused during a conversation. He often followed up what he said with even deeper and wiser words. Yes, I must remember to do this more.
      Thank you for your always thoughtful and encouraging comments.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  7. I'd rather listen to the scriptures while I eat breakfast. There are times when I'll glean an inspiration for a blog post or whole monthly topic from hearing God's Word. Your method works for you, Wendy, and mine works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.