February 07, 2020

A Shelter in the Time of Storm by Pamela Mytroen

 A Shelter in the Time of Storm 


My phone vibrated in my pocket and whoop, whooped. "Tornado Watch. Funnel Clouds are in the area and could develop into tornadoes. Stay alert and take cover as danger escalates." I swivelled my shopping cart back to the entry of the store and parked it. Bursting out into the open area of the mall I searched for my husband. Where would we go? Where could we take cover? We were in a mall in Branson, Missouri and there was no basement. I paced back and forth in the corridor looking for him, going over my options. We could go down into the theatre, I reasoned, since it was a few steps below ground level, but still not far enough below ground to be protected from a tornado.

Finally I spotted my husband in a store across the way and I zoomed over to him. He chatted with a salesman. They had their backs to a huge window. Wind whipped the trees into arches that touched the ground, but they seemed oblivious to it all. I tugged on my husband's coat sleeve and mentioned the tornado warning that had blared through my phone. The salesman chuckled. "Oh we don't pay much attention to those warnings. They are non-stop at this time of year."

I looked at the trees bending beneath the fury of the wind, and then I glanced across to the store I had just stormed out of. People chatted, picked up merchandise, set it down, and strolled around like they were enjoying a walk in the park, even though their phones were also spewing warnings like popping corn in a theatre.

"But where would we go if there was a tornado?" I ventured, always the cautious one.

"Well, we would just crouch down, I suppose," he said in his slow drawl. He returned to his sales pitch.

I relaxed a little, seeing everybody go about their business like they were at the fair. But the next day we learned of several tornadoes, one that had left fatalities in its wake and of another one close by that had devastated a city.

It's true that when you live in Tornado Ally, you don't heed the warnings until it's too late. They are too common, too everyday to stop and take notice. On one hand people do not pay attention to warnings of imminent danger, and on the other hand, I seem to create imaginary situations to worry about as I think about my family, my job, and my health.  My pendulum swings to the worry extreme while other's pendulums swing to the careless and carefree side. While some people die of a tornado by not heeding the dire warnings, I might die of high blood pressure by worrying about situations that are barely a fist-sized cloud in the sky.  


The stress from my job and family situations had been building like black angry clouds, and swirling into tornadoes of anxiety. After much prayer, the Lord showed me that I was trying to meet everyone's expectations, which was impossible. He showed me that I needed a new mind-set. He whispered that it was okay to fail, to do my best and to stop striving. While I still tend to shoulder people's troubles, I'm learning to push my computer chair away from the desk, and take a break from the never-ending lesson planning. I'm learning to stop thinking about what could happen to my job with a new manager coming on board; I am learning to let go of the sky-high expectations my students place on me; I'm learning to fail and accept that I can't be perfect and I can't please everyone. I'm learning to stop worrying about my family, and their health, and be thankful instead. Switching one set of thoughts for another takes  self-discipline. I am amazed at the freedom and the space in my mind that was once taken up by stress and anxiety.

My daughter texted me as I was writing my blog and said that her two-year old dropped a can of Pepsi on his bare foot. She thinks his toe might be broken. Off she goes with her children into town on unplowed gravel roads while the snow is coming down. I could worry but I'm letting it go. I can't take on the burden. Instead, I find myself saying, "Thank you Lord for my daughter being a good mother. Thank you for doctors being available and for the wisdom they have. Thank you for watching over them."

As much as it takes concentration and hard work as I pour myself into my jobs and ministries, I find it takes far more focus and strength to shut down my OCD brain, to back away, take a break, call my friends, take time for coffee, and to intentionally focus on beautiful and praise-worthy things.

So today, in the midst of storms because there is always a storm brewing somewhere, I choose to be thankful. To be balanced. To hunker down and "take cover" when need be  - whether my grandson's toe is throbbing or my job is in jeopardy - and then to continue on my way, with His peace and joy. He is my shelter in the time of storm.


"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind," Romans 12:2b.

Pamela Mytroen

   

14 comments:

  1. You remind me of myself in days gone by when I used to shoulder the weight of the world's woes on myself, trying to help everyone, until the day came when I couldn't do it any longer. Then began the lessons of learning, like you, of letting go, of casting all my cares, of giving thanks instead of being anxious.

    Thank you so much for this beautiful post, Pamela, and your timely testimony of how you are finding that shelter in the storm. It lifts my soul today.

    Many blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda. I'm glad to know that we are fellow pilgrims on this journey, and that you are going ahead! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminder, Pam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia. God is so faithful to stick with us!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your honesty and transparency, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that so many of our members have been honest about their anxiety. It helps me to be transparent too. I'm really thankful for our InScribe family!!

      Delete
  5. I see myself in some of your story too, Pamela. I believe you are using allegory here, Pam, when you are comparing people’s varying responses to tornado warnings to the varied responses people have to the day-to-day stresses that will inevitably appear. Some folks are calm and some of us at times over-react and take on the stresses of everyone around us.

    Being a work-in-progress myself, I got a kick out of your several statements that begin, “I am learning. . .” I can identify, because I am not full there either. It takes mindfulness and prayer to become completely “transformed by the renewing of our minds.” Claiming God’s many promises in Scripture does help. One promise I claim is, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV)

    I so appreciate your concluding paragraph: "So today, in the midst of storms, because there is always a storm brewing somewhere, I choose to be thankful. To be balanced. To hunker down. . .
    and then to continue on my way, with His peace and joy. He is my shelter in the time of storm. Amen.

    And that doesn’t mean that we don’t feel a grandson’s, or anyone else’s, pain, but we know it will be taken care of and that this too shall pass. If Jesus can calm the angry waters with his words, “Peace be still,” he can helps us stay calm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. You are a fellow pilgrim with me as we batten down the hatches and endure the storms! I love that verse you shared from 2 Timothy. God's word is so rich, powerful, and life-giving.

      Delete
  6. Thank for your analogy of our responses to our storms, Pam. You reminded me that God not only delivers us from storms, He is with us in storms. God bless you as you rest in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Yes, REST in Him. Oh how I need to be reminded of that!

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam! Wow, this is a beautiful message for us to ponder. I sense your tender heart. I must admit I relate to what you say so well. I learned a hard way not to worry about every storm that comes my way. Your words are ones that make their way into my heart. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. It's great to have a fellow traveller as we go through storms together. So thankful for our InScribe family and their support, friendship, and faith.

      Delete
  8. Great post Pam. I once had my husband tie down our trailer on the farm during tornado season so I can so relate to your anxiety. A tornado after all is big and we are not! I love how you brought it into your daily life and the stressors we face and how we need to let Gods peace be bigger than our anxieties. Nice to read your posts on here. One of my favorite writers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Gloria! I relate to the mobile home story. We flew out of our home once and down into the root cellar when we saw a huge black cloud rolling towards our farm. Thankfully it was just a lot of wind and dirt but it was always a little unsettling living in a tornado-magnet. I am learning to focus on good and joyful things and on Jesus when I feel stressed. I'm so thankful that God isn't finished with me yet - I should've learned this lesson a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.