February 02, 2020

Adapting is Not an Option by Marcia Lee Laycock


                                                    Photo from Pixabay.com


Dictionary.com lists two verbs under the word adapt. The first verb is used with an object – such as, ‘I adapt my work to my audience’, meaning I “adjust or modify” the work to a specific group or person.

The second verb is used without an object – such as ‘I adapt,’ meaning I adjust myself to different conditions, environment, circumstances etc. 

Sometimes the two go hand in hand.

I was asked to speak to a group of students in a Christian school some time ago. It was literacy week and I had been asked to talk about poetry. They told me the group would include grades four to eight. As I began to plan I realized what a big range in age that was and prayed that the Lord would give me words and stories to engage them. I laid out a plan.

When I walked into the classroom it was packed. Younger students in front, older in back. A row of grade eight boys stood along the back wall, all of them with their arms crossed over their chests and blank looks on their faces. I read their body language immediately. “No middle-aged woman is going to get me interested in poetry.”

I immediately adapted. I had intended to use a story about Irina Ratushinskaya, a Russian dissident imprisoned for her work, at the end of my talk. I decided to open with it.

“You may think poetry has no power.” I spoke directly to those boys in the back. “But let me tell you a story.” They started to lean forward as I told them how this brave woman wrote her poetry in soap while in prison, memorizing over 250 poems in the hope that one day they would be read. I told them that Ms. Ratushinskaya received the Religious Freedom Award in 1987 from the Institute of Religion and Democracy. That same year she was deprived of Russian citizenship. “Why do you think they did that?” I asked those boys. “Because they were afraid – afraid of a poet’s words.” Words have power. Poetry has power.

By the end of that class time I had the students writing poetry. Some of it was very good poetry. Some of the best was written by those older boys.

When I walked into that classroom I knew that adapting to my audience was a matter of survival. It was crucial to being heard.

Adapting our writing to our audience is the same. The first time I submitted a short story to a Sunday School publication, I received a short note from the publisher. She loved the story but it was much too long for their readers. “Cut it in half,” she advised. I groaned but I did as she asked and it was published. That was the beginning of several years writing for that publication. Adapting is a matter of survival.

Adapting to our audience in prayer is also the same. Think about that. When we come before God we usually have a long list of requests on our minds. Help this one, do that for that one, give me the desires in my heart. But often, if we truly come into God’s presence as we pray, we find we must adapt ourselves, we must bow humbly before Him, draw close and listen to the One who is our audience.

We must also learn to adapt our lives to His way of acting in the world, His way of seeing the world. As we do so we begin not only to survive as followers of Christ, but to thrive spiritually. As the words of Job tell us – “He shall pray to God, and He will delight in him, he shall see His face with joy, for He restores to man His righteousness” (Job 33:26).

Adapting is not an option, neither for a writer, nor for a follower of Jesus.
****
Find more of Marcia's work at www.marcialeelaycock.com and at https://medium.com/pondrings




6 comments:

  1. These are wonderful examples of adapting and I agree - we must adapt to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick thinking, Marcia. Good story!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your story about the way you adapted your lesson on poetry to get the older fellows with arms crossed at the back of the room. Having spent years teaching, I can Identify with the story.

    I can also identify with your conclusion that we need to change our attitude when we pray. So often in our prayers, we are thinking of what we want God to do for us or for our friends. but God does respond with joy to a humble and contrite spirit. When we pray, God is hoping we will become more mature in our faith and "adapt our lives to His way of acting in the world, His way of seeing the world. As we do so we begin not only to survive as followers of Christ, but to thrive spiritually.” Wise words, Marcia. As we grow more Christ-like, we can delight in God and I’m sure God will delight more in our spiritual maturity. Thanks for your message, Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Marcia! It also makes me think of how when we adapt to His way of seeing things, we also become more like Jesus--and love like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia, what a beautiful tribute to God for giving you His words to those students. I so appreciated your words, "if we truly come into God’s presence as we pray, we find we must adapt ourselves, we must bow humbly before Him, draw close and listen to the One who is our audience." and "We must also learn to adapt our lives to His way of acting in the world, His way of seeing the world." What a great reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia, as a possible new InScribe blog writer, I have been looking through the list of themes to chose from. I did not think I found a theme until I read your post. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.