February 20, 2020

Smiles to Enrich My Clarity – Denise M. Ford

These days my writer’s mind discovers refreshment and renewal from the smiling faces of my grandchildren. When they turn their eyes toward mine and a reaction so pure and so loving breaks forth from their mouths. That upturned tugging of the lips drawing quickly and completely across their cheeks showing me that they recognize who I am. 

A connection held by an invisible strand of shining joy; a smile creates a path on which I eagerly respond with shimmering delight. 

Today my youngest grandson is four months old.  I have witnessed the debut of his smile as it began hesitantly, a slight reflection of exaggerated expressions moving above and around him. He now can identify my voice and will flash a drooling grin my way simply because I speak aloud in his vicinity. He knows me, his face shines with a smile as I become present to him.

Our nineteen-month-old grandson has learned to smile and say cheese for the iPhone whenever he spies us holding it in front of him. However, what I truly treasure happens as he sits on my lap, while I cuddle and rock him. While I read to him, I point to pictures in the book.  He follows my words over and over again throughout the story so that he knows what will happen next.  He often grabs the page to turn it before I finish a sentence. Because he has listened, he responds and then he smiles up at me, nodding his little head. Often while I hold him, a slumbering movement of final wakefulness moves across his cheeks as he attempts one last reassuring smile towards my face.  As I return a soft smile to him, I close my eyes to encourage him to rest, to feel content in my arms, to surrender to the comfort of my loving embrace.

It bears repeating this word, smile.  For the purity of its motion creates calm. It changes a struggling weary outlook to a carefree elated perspective.

Yes, a smile refreshes me. It brings to mind these words,
"Smile on me your loving servant. Instruct me on what is right in your eyes."
Psalm 119:135 (TPT Version)
What does it mean to look into the face of Christ and receive His smile for me? Do I try to emulate the shining kindness that radiates from His love for me? Do I take the time to recognize His smile and allow it to change my outlook to a new perspective?

These days as often as I see the smile Christ offers me, I also need to receive His instruction.  I want to follow the way He reads to me and to understand so I can hear His guidance for me. I want to rest in the assurance that I have surrendered within His loving embrace.

This refreshes me. This creates a new delight within me. I want to speak like Job and say,
"I will forget my complaint; I will change my expression and smile."
Job 27 (NIV Version)
How beautiful that God would create us to react in rejuvenating ways spurred on by simply sharing a smile. How wonderful that we have this simple tool that we can put upon our countenance. This facial muscle movement that even when forced while we linger in difficult situations, can offer a refreshing of spirit to ourselves and to others.

We often complicate our lives by seeking and wanting to know what will happen next. How will tomorrow bring a solution to our problem?

So, I turn to the words of the Psalmist again and arm myself with my newfound inspiration.
"O Lord God, invincible warrior, restore us! Smile on us! Then we will be delivered!"
Psalm 80:19 (NET Bible)
I look toward His face and seek those strands of shining joy. His smile enriches my clarity so that I may refocus my words to reflect what He wants me to write.

The other day I played a game with my four-year-old granddaughter. She explained the rules to me, gently admonishing me when I forgot to place my player on the right spot.
“No, we have to move together, Nana. Here I will show you.”

She moved her player piece next to mine, pretending to give my piece a little hug from hers.
“Okay, ready?” she looked toward me with upraised eyebrows. “Here we go!”

And from her face to mine the path brilliantly lit up with her glowing smile. We both shimmered with smiles and laughter as we advanced our players along the gameboard’s winding way.  

May you too find refreshment in the simplicity of a smile given to you or granted by you. Be reassured by the knowledge that God loves to smile on you with His radiance and His abundant love. Let His smile for you provide you with momentum to allow your thoughts to meander and meet in the words He surely instructs you to write.

"Smile on your servant! Deliver me because of your faithfulness!
Psalm 31:16 (NET Bible)

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your descriptive interactions with your grandchildren. I am in a similar season and they are a delight. I also appreciated how you related this relationship to the one we have with our heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your unique perspective on God's refreshment to you, Denise, and for reminding us how much God loves us and smiles and is pleased when we return our love back to Him. Your description of how much a child's smile lightens our spirits is a good metaphor for how God must feel. God bless your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.