February 15, 2020

Mid Month Moments - BE not DO

February's MID MONTH MOMENTS 
(from the archives of 'Mid-Week Moments' by Connie Inglis)
Originally published on November 23, 2017


Interruptions? What do we do with them in the big picture of eternity?

Yesterday I planned on spending the day moving forward with my NaNoWriMo goals. Then, I was interrupted. The phone buzzed at 6:15 a.m. A friend calling, but why would she be calling me at this hour? "Could you pick up Joan at 7:20 and take her to the cancer clinic for her next round of treatments? I got the flu in the night and definitely can't take her. Joan said it would be 4 or 5 hours and she really wanted someone to stay with her this time." It took me a minute to process.

I had been praying for Joan daily since her diagnosis only three months prior, but lately hadn't been able to go visit her. I had felt the Spirit's nudging in the last few days, feeling as if I should be doing more. But what? So, when this phone call came, I knew I had to say yes. Less than an hour later, I was out the door for what became a 7-hour adventure. (I had never taken anyone to the cancer clinic for a treatment before.)

So again I ask, what do we do with interruptions in the big picture of eternity?

Yesterday I was reminded that before God called me, called any of us, to DO (to write), He called me/us as human BEings, not human DOings. To be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Gal. 5:22-25. Do any of you remember the old children's song by Frank & Betsy Hernandez called "The Fruit of the Spirit"? That's the song that popped into my head. (Here's the youtube video address if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVrHE0JrB0)

Galatians 5:25 is also part of the song: "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." I know that if I hadn't been listening to the Spirit's voice prior to this phone call, I probably would have said no because I really wanted to be sitting at my computer, writing. BUT, this verse calls us to BE Spirit-sensitive and Spirit-controlled. To BE living by the Spirit. Yesterday, I was that. But I must confess, that is not always the case. Sometimes I'd rather be doing that being.

God also calls us to BE light. In Matthew 5:14-16 Jesus says, "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Yesterday I had opportunity to be light to a friend in her struggle and pain. To sit with her, pray with her, read with her, fellowship with her. And in the end SHE was a light to me--her faith, her trust in God, spoke to my heart. And it was good.

In the light of eternity, I will never comprehend the full impact this interruption had or will have on all those involved: Joan, her family, myself, my family, the clinic staff, any of those I tell this story to like you. Maybe in heaven I'll know. BUT, right now I don't need to know. I just need to keep BEing.

My prayer for us this week is that we will BE the fruits of the Spirit in our relationships and that we will BE the light God has called us to BE. I also pray that we will live by the Spirit, keeping in step with His promptings. Because, that's what matters in light of eternity.

Col. 3:1,2: "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

Living to BE,
Connie


3 comments:

  1. This was one of the most memorable Mid week moments for me... BE not DO... I thank Connie for her wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well and truthfully said, Connie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder that God wants us in a loving relationship more than what He wants us to do for Him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.