January 07, 2020

Renewal in 2020 by Pamela Mytroen

Renewal in 2020


My biggest desire this past year was to have a daily coffee break. Stellar, I know. I’m not sure how my engine cycled down to park, but halfway through teaching English last year I started sputtering and smoking and ended up with no desire to get into gear again. This is quite unlike me, the girl like Josephine in “Little Women” full of boundless energy, whose life goal was to “do all the things”. I haven’t finished “doing all the things” yet, but I feel like Bilbo Baggin who said, “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.” As I prayed and searched the Lord for a word from The Word, I knew it couldn’t be an action word where I actually had to “DO” something, heaven forbid, like “Love” or “Trust” or even “Seek”. Instead, in my present lethargy, it had to be something that the Lord would do for me, so I finally landed on Renew and it feels just right. Here’s what I’m asking the LORD to do for me in 2020, or more accurately, since he’s already done it all on the Cross, I’m asking Him to help me access that which is already available: I need him to renew me, spirit, mind, and body.


RENEW my spirit and heart.

  Isaiah 57:15b, NIV says, “I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.”

 King David prayed in Psalm 51:10, NIV, “Create in me a clean heart, Oh Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.” A “right” spirit is also translated, “a steadfast spirit”. Yes, I need that Lord. I can’t quit yet. Help me to endure. With your right spirit in me, I can do all things. More importantly, I can BE the person you want me to be. I can be loving, kind, and patient. I can always trust, always protect, always hope and always believe with your spirit renewed in me.

Proverbs 4:23 Berean Translation says, “Guard your heart with all diligence, for from it flow springs of life.” I need those springs of life to flow again, so I’m trusting you Lord to guard my heart, to renew it and fill it with You.

Luke  6:45 NLT says, “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart.” Oh Lord, fill up my heart with the treasure of YOU, so that from my heart will flow grace and goodness.

RENEW my mind.

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,” (Romans 12:2a NIV). Transformation is what I need right now. I need an about face in my thinking so that I can do and be what’s required of me. I need God to do this for me. As I focus on Him, I trust that I will be able to get moving again, and get unstuck from this not-wanting-to-do-anything. Isaiah 26:3 says, “People with their minds set on you, you keep completely whole. Steady on their feet, because they keep at it and don’t quit” The Message.


RENEW my strength

I want to soar again like I used to. Isaiah 40:31 says, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint,” King James Bible.

Oh Lord, please renew my strength. I want to rise up over the situations around me and fly, I want to get the big picture, your perspective on things, and be able to quickly dive down to where I’m needed and do what’s required of me, but I can only do that Lord if I’m soaring.

“Awake, awake, Zion, clothe yourself with strength! Put on your garments of splendour,” Isaiah 52:1 NIV. This verse caught my interest, and maybe it’s because I am not a pyjama person. I fear being caught at the door in my pjs so I quickly get dressed every morning. I can picture myself pulling on some nice clothes while I also pull on the strength of the Lord every morning.

Habakkuk 3:19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength, he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights. We have a lot of deer where I live, and at times they sleep and graze in our yard. If frightened, they will leap over the six foot fence from a standing position. Oh, Lord, how I need that kind of ease, grace, and spring in my step again!

Psalm 84:7 NIV says, “They go from strength to strength till each appears before God in Zion.” This Psalm describes the pilgrims as they ascended the hills to Jerusalem. They needed strength to keep going and to finish the climb. I need the Lord to renew my strength to finish the journey so that I can worship Him.

Oh Lord, I want to love you with all my heart (spirit), all my strength, and all my mind. Please renew me so that I can love you, serve you, and worship you in 2020, Amen.

By Pamela Mytroen




13 comments:

  1. Hi, Pam, It's great to see you on our blog!

    Thanks for your thoughtful reflection on your "renewal" for this year, and for all the scriptural requests and promises. One of the greatest lessons in prayer for me was that when we pray God's word back to Him, we know we are praying His will. God bless you this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you Sandi! Thank you. šŸ‘❤️

      Delete
  2. I think we all need to be renewed, Pam. I am so thrilled to have you as part of the regular roster again. My prayer is that you will, indeed, be renewed this year. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tracy. I have always loved reading the posts by our writers. It’s good to be back. šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all of the scriptures with us. Feeling renewed is something we all look forward to. I pray that God breathes new life into you and the year ahead. I also love the image of butter being scraped over too much bread - something we have experienced at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie. Yes I think we all need renewal from time to time. It's a good thing God's well never runs dry!

      Delete
  5. Yay, Pam! I look forward to reading more of your posts. This line struck me, “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.” This statement showed me your vulnerability at the moment. Another line expressing your honesty also struck me. You said, "I’m asking Him to help me access that which is already available: I need him to renew me, spirit, mind, and body." Wow, such beauty in these heart words. This post moved me and in it my heart found comfort. We are in this life together, Pam. I will journey with you as I move forward like you. Your heart thirsts and pants for God. An amazing act of worship open and longing for the One who loves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. I am so thankful that you are one of my fellow I Pilgrims to join in the Journey!

      Delete
  6. Love this, Pam. I dreaded going back into the classroom after Christmas break. Renewal is needed here, too, and your words are encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Lorrie. I hope and pray that you find strength and renewal in the Lord for this next semester as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post, Pam, and a wonderful word for the year, well-backed by the Word. May He renew you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great approach to this new year! Now I am pondering how and in what areas I too need to renew. Your outline certainly lays out how to process renewal in His word. Now to apply that in specific areas of my life! You have certainly lifted me up to RENEW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I am experiencing a sense of renewal. When I first wrote this post, I didn’t want to finish teaching. I almost hoped the Lord wouldn’t renew me! But things are changing. The Lord is working in my heart and mind. ❤️

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.