February 18, 2020

Spiritual Graffiti - Sheila Webster

This month has been tough on my soul but has spawned a lot of writing despite lack of time.

Our moderator has asked us this month,  “How has God come in and provided refreshment for you? How does He rejuvenate your spirit and/or your writing?”

I reply He does so in the midst of pain with silence, faithful friends, music, sunrises and sunsets. The prayers of others lead us with wisdom to rest.

Some of the most cherished multifaceted  friends I have ever known have come out of the Inscribe family.  Those I have been on the executive with, those I have met online and those I have mentored.

Some of these brave souls have similar trials and questions to those of the Old Testament saints. They persevere with faith through the toughest situations life can throw at them. They leave footprints I can follow in a sudden storm, and I find their words and art like spiritual graffiti on the cyber walls of faith.

In the journey, in the embracing of deep pain, after the triumph they write Gods words that He whispers about those travels and travails.  They rise up and say,  “I have overcome or come through because God gave me the strength.” They are light bearers in the darkness that guide those who follow them.

A couple weeks ago we took some pregnancy pictures of my young daughter after church. There was a warm breeze that day, the sun was shining and her two and a half year old was adorable. She was glowing from health and motherhood and the spontaneous photo shoot became a few moments etched in silver in my mind. 

A few days ago my brave daughter then gave birth to her much anticipated already named son.  His final delivery was even more perfect than her pregnancy.

Ruebens’ fingers and toes and hair were perfect. His little newborn handprint and footprint were so precious as well as his first haircut.

His handmade casket was lovingly toiled over for almost the same amount of hours as she laboured to deliver him. I carefully chose an array of beautiful flowers for his casket spray -wild looking like my daughter and I love to pick in the spring and summer.

In the few days since his death I have written volumes of gratitude to many, penned prose and poetry to remember, to cope, and to preserve the memories like precious jewels.

If you find any of my spiritual graffiti on this cyber wall encouraging, remember to lean in and embrace both the joy and pain deeply. You’ll never regret it or be out of words or refreshment.

Sheila


7 comments:

  1. So tragic, so touching... It is in times like these that we need God's presence like never before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate in some way with you, Sheila. I have an idea of the anticipation of waiting for a new grandchild to love only to have the child go to heaven before my hugs. You and your family are in my prayers every day. I pray for an extra measure of God's comfort for your daughter. I love your term, "spiritual graffiti." Blessings and love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the Lord fill your empty arms, and those of your daughter, with his love. Such a hard, hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am at a loss for words but I echo all the other comments, Sheila. May the Lord hug your hearts during this time. And thank you for reminding me to lean in and embrace joy and pain deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sheila, this is heart-wrenching, yet beautiful. Thank you for sharing your trials with us, and yet being able to anticipate the ability to give and receive comfort with the comfort received from God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your poignant blog, Sheila. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family during this time. And yet it was refreshing to read how God has filled you to express in many ways your grief and gratitude. "In the few days since his death I have written volumes of gratitude to many, penned prose and poetry to remember, to cope, and to preserve the memories like precious jewels."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Dear Sheila. . . In your story, I did not see this sadness coming, as you didn’t see what was ahead when you were blissfully taking photos of your pregnant daughter . Your deep pain is gut-wrenching, but you have, in faith, followed in the footsteps of the "light bearers" who have shared their “spiritual graffiti” on this cyber wall.

    You are indeed a light bearer shedding your spiritual graffiti on my cyber wall. I will remember your story. From that I will store your God-given courage when I am most in need of encouragement. May God bless and comfort you and your family as Jesus welcomes this new babe into his heavenly kingdom. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.