February 04, 2020

Come to Me by Susan Barclay


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,” says the Lord, “and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).


This seems to be God’s message for me this year as I seek to centre and focus on Him: Come to me, learn who I am, and find rest.

The scripture writing plan I followed for January centred on God with me; I am never alone. What a wonderful reminder to begin a new year. As a result of my reading, a key verse soon revealed itself: 

“Whom have I in heaven but You? I desire You more than anything on earth. My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever” (Psalm 73:25-26).

God is my strength. When I think of His love for me, how can I not be encouraged? Consider this: 
“He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing” (Zephaniah 3:17). 
Wow. Those words give life. His Word gives refreshment (Hebrews 4:12; Isaiah 55:11).


I also find refreshment outdoors. When I go for a walk and take in the beauty of nature, I inhale deeply, my lungs fill up with air, and I feel that I can breathe again. The feeling of things closing in on me, or even just the stuffiness of the house, vanishes. I see God’s handiwork and am assured that the universe and planet Earth are not some random product that just happened to come together by accident. Our world is detailed, it’s ordered. God has a plan and a purpose for it, and He has a plan and a purpose for me. My story might be messy but God is weaving something beautiful with its strands.

Often I use my walking time to pray aloud. In the old days, neighbours might have wondered about the “crazy lady, talking to herself”—not so much today with our modern Bluetooth technology! They just don’t know that I’m communicating with the Lord, sharing my heart with Him and hearing His heart for me. Prayer is a pause that refreshes. Like reading the Bible, it’s a form of meditation, even if I’m not quiet about it!

Sometimes, though, God knows I need others. He’s been good in bringing godly people alongside me, people who pour into my life instead of draining me dry. Time spent with them is like drinking from a fountain. Being able to talk together about spiritual things from a common perspective is a blessing. Our tanks get filled with living water and the knowledge that our journey is communal. We are all waiting on the Lord with hope and expectation for answers to prayer and for the day He will make all things right.

Finally, I can’t imagine my life without music for my soul. Just as we open worship services with music, my day starts best when I begin with singing or listening to songs that centre on the Lord. Last month I mentioned several that came to mind as I considered my word of the year, but over the past few weeks, a couple more have really taken hold in my heart. I leave you with them and invite you to use them in your own personal refreshing today as you Come to Him.


_________________________
You can find out more about Susan Barclay's writing at www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com

12 comments:

  1. Lovely, Susan. The song 'Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus' is one of my life favourites. It was one He gave me many years ago during a trying time of life. I have never forgotten the words or the lesson I learned then.

    Thank you so much for the timely reminder.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Brenda! It's a beautiful, very meaningful song. I can see why it's one of your life favourites :)

      Delete
  2. I,too, find worship music in the morning helps to centre by day. Thanks for this lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much refreshment in your words Susan! I even feel myself breathing deeper and slower, taking in His present moment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Lynn! Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Your scripture selections are beautiful and so meaningful. I too love to walk and meditate and pray, and I also find that music really helps calm me and centre me. Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your words to encourage us to focus on Jesus and His word to us, instead of our problems--It reminds me of the hymn, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus...and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glorious grace."

    I also am refreshed with a good prayer walk outdoors, and beautiful hymns in my morning devotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Sandi. All eyes on Jesus - the author and perfecter of our faith!

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan! Ahhh, your message soothes me and reminds me to be calm. Quiet times are my friends. I love also how you mention, "Sometimes, though, God knows I need others." You specify, "people who pour into my life instead of draining me dry." Wow, I relate to this. People who love you as you are are treasures. Blessings to you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You opened with one of my all-time favourite passages of the Bible. I always do better when I am conscious that I’m sharing the yoke with Jesus and that I can learn so much from him. We can rest and relax in the company of our Lord for he is gentle and humble of heart. With him, not just our bodies, but our souls can be at rest. His yoke is comfortable and he won’t burden us with a heavy load. And then all that you said was refreshing, Susan. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.