October 31, 2020

Our Word of the Year in Review by Sandi Somers


Image by Unsplash

In January our blog topic focused on our word or Scripture of the year. Now with our year soon coming to a close, we look in our rearview mirrors and reflect on what that word/Scripture and God’s activity have meant for our life, spiritual growth, and writing.

~ ~ ~

Before writing my own review, I spent an enjoyable morning reading all our January posts. Several themes emerged.

Most writers described the life issues and challenges that brought them to the place of choosing their key words/Scriptures.

Writers looked forward to 2020 with hope, faith, and expectation. Some even outlined specific goals and plans. Others gave suggestions for choosing and processing their word/Scripture.

Writers found Scripture promises of God's faithfulness and encouragement. The goal of most writers was to trust God and follow Him more closely.

The writers of comments added insight and affirmation as they shared with compassion and understanding how their own experiences resonated with those of the writer.

~ ~ ~

My 2020 theme was the Lord of The Impossible. Over the year, however, my word tended to be breakthroughs. However, I discovered that the Lord’s breakthroughs often don’t come with blazing fireworks, but through His quiet indwelling and empowerment. It can be a slow process, as Carolyn Arends wrote: “As a gen­er­al rule (God) works incre­men­tal­ly – a shift in per­spec­tive here, a small break­through there, slow­ly enlarg­ing our capac­i­ty to see and receive what He has for us.” Over the year, my focus gradually shifted from breakthroughs to God Himself and what He has done (from Luke 8:39).

~ ~ ~

God Provided during Covid

Image by Reddit

Shortly after Covid flatlined us and turned our lives upside down, I awoke one morning with the Spirit’s quiet assurance, “Rest in the shadow of my wings until these calamities are past” (from Psalm 57:1).

As I learned to rest and not worry, God gave me the impetus for more extended times with Him and His Word in early mornings. A friend had given me a daily Prayer Journal, so I began more structured times of listing my verse for the day, praise and gratitude items, and prayer requests. I was conscious that I was praying more for our governments and those with various Covid-related needs. While my own months were fairly calm, God brought several into my life who needed prayer and encouragement. I became more conscious of daily practicing the presence of God, too.

God opened up new opportunities during Covid

Because we couldn’t attend church in-person, I spent early Sunday mornings on bird watching at our local bird sanctuary and different lakes and ponds. This was a time of worship before returning home in time to watch our 11 o’clock services online.

Zoom offered alternatives to in-person meetings--new prayer gatherings (and there were many), webinars, and our Fall Conference, all from the comfort of my home. For me, it was quite an adjustment to lead our local writers’ group on Zoom without all those interpersonal nuances!

God brought a change of lifestyle—either temporary or permanent

With spending more time at home—with shops closed and appointments cancelled, I continued quilting projects and cleaning the house. As spring blossomed, I worked more in my yard and flower beds, enjoying it more than I have in several years. My morning walks became longer and I explored new trails farther from home. My increased activity paid off: by autumn I felt physically stronger, I determined with God’s empowerment to develop greater strength and endurance in other areas of my life.

~ ~ ~

God gave me new insights and strategies for writing.

Major turning points came to my writing this year. First, as I wrote my June 2020 blog on writing themes, I discovered unused potential in exploring some topics. God was leading me to, “Launch out into the deep.” Further, over the year my writing focused more and more on Christ’s redemptive work and the Spirit’s empowerment. Valerie Ronald spoke so eloquently into my desire in one of her blog posts. She wanted: “to soak my stories and words with the love of Jesus...My goal is to weave His essence throughout my stories, to evoke a deep inner response in a reader’s heart toward the good.” (Thank you, Valerie!)

~ ~ ~

God brought our family both joys and the valley of death.

Our extended family held a number of (mostly) outdoor events this summer, bringing me to a closer relationship with several others. One spiritual highlight was the baptism and then marriage of my great-niece Amanda. At her baptism, I was invited to speak words of encouragement. Doing so prompted me to pray more deeply and further encourage both Amanda and Nick in their new lives as new Christ-followers.

In March, my nephew Kevin passed away suddenly from a massive heart attack. Our smaller “Covid Funeral,” in August included mostly family and close friends. Then as I prepare this writing, Kevin’s father and my brother-in-law, Peter, is in Palliative Care from liver cancer and heart issues. In my last in-depth conversation with Peter, he expressed how much his life has become a life of thanks. While death is a great sorrow to those of us left behind, I rejoice to know that both men will be at rest in God’s presence.

Like Peter, I pray my life will be characterized by thanksgiving, joy, and peace.

~ ~ ~

As you prepare your post this month, ask yourself these questions:


How have I seen my relationships, daily experiences, life challenges, spiritual life, and writing through the lens of my word or scripture of the year?

How has the Spirit of Christ been working in me?

What has God taught me about Himself—and myself?

How can I encourage my readers?




17 comments:

  1. PS. Peter passed away shortly after I posted this article. A great loss to us, but his purposes in life is finished, and he's now at home with the Lord. For this we're thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of Peter as going home from the war. When Christ, our commanding officer, calls us, we'll be glad to go to our rest. I hope Jesus returns in my lifetime. If he doesn't, I still go to be with him.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Bruce. "Going home from the war" is a unique way of putting it. But I know Peter is at rest with the Lord.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to read of your losses, Sandi. God does know when our purpose is finished & He takes us home. It was so encouraging to read how God opened up those unexpected opportunities to you during this time that launched you into the deep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your condolences, Lynn. When Peter became ill in September, my thought was from Paul, who thought it better to be at home with the Lord, but wanted to stay here for the benefit of his people. My prayer was, "Which way will You heal, him, Lord, and for what purpose?" I received my answer quickly.

      Delete
  3. Sending my condolences as well, Sandi. I really enjoyed reading about how the year has worked itself out. I think I will do like you did and go back and reread what others said in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your condolences, Tracy. Going back to reread our blogs in January was a wonderful experience. I hope you have time for it during NaNoWriMo.

      Delete
  4. How right you are, Sandy. We must rest, meaning trust totally, in Christ. And though we miss departed family members, it's more like in the old days when people moved overseas. To us, they've gone on to heaven. And like my bald head, there's no parting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your condolences and humour, Bruce. You are daily reminded that there's no parting in heaven.

      Delete
  5. I’m sorry to hear of your nephew and your brother-in-law passing away, Sandi. I was touched when you said you were moved to pray more deeply and speak into the lives of your niece, Amanda, and her husband, and also when you mentioned that you want your stories to be soaked with the love of Jesus. That is my desire too. And I love the idea of bird-watching. It sounds like you enjoyed a productive year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your condolences, Pam. You touched on a number of life areas for me. Life didn't seem too productive--until I looked back and saw themes that I hadn't noticed on a day-by-day basis. I pray that you and all of us would soak our writing with the love of Jesus.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful word from the Spirit for you, Sandi! (Psalm 57:1) God is so kind to give us encouragements like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a wonderfully encouraging word from the Spirit. I prayed that those protective wings would surround and protect all my loved ones, too!

      Delete
  7. Dear Sandi, I am sorry for your loss of Kevin and Peter on this side of Heaven.
    Hugs ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, for your condolences. It was difficult losing Kevin and Peter, and also my cousin Gene last September--all very important people in my life.

      Delete
  8. My condolences, Sandi, in the loss of your loved ones--Kevin, Peter and Gene. Losing one close family member is a loss, but that I see has been tripled. May God bless and keep you and the rest of your family under his wings.

    My word for the year was patience, which is a Fruit of the Spirit. It is a gift, but we also need to reach out and receive this gift and then appreciate its presence in our lives. Looking back these past several months, I believe my patience has increased in being patient with myself and with others. My patience has also increased in waiting for and recognizing how God has answered my prayers. I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for remembering my loss of three important family members in the last year, Sharon. But we can rejoice that all three are at rest in God's presence. For you, how gracious God has been to develop patiencepatience is you and to see how God has answered your prayers. God bless you in the next year. Your words of reaching out and receiving His gifts gave me time for thought. We asked in January for a word of the year, and God was gracious in giving us these gifts.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.