October 07, 2020

Giving Like a Child by Pamela Mytroen

 

When I was four years old, I couldn't wait until the lights were turned out and my mom and dad had said goodnight and prayed with me. As soon as my two-year old sibling had fallen asleep in the crib beside me, I would sit up in bed, shake my pillow until the pillowcase slipped off and then pretend to pack it with food for every starving child I'd seen on TV. I would then journey to the dark nation of Africa. I tried to figure out how to sneak leftovers from the supper table but I knew that wouldn't go over well with Mom, so I just stuffed pretend potatoes, meatloaf and chocolate cake into my case and swung it over my shoulder every night. I would hand it out freely, the bag never running out. I never thought to question them about whether or not they deserved this food, or how to sustain them day after day. I just loved the smiles on their faces. Once every child had taken enough for their family, I would shove my pillow back in the case and fall asleep in peace. 

My four-year-old sense of justice became jaded as I began to listen to the "big people" talk around me. They would talk about the homeless man on the street and all agree that he didn't deserve a hand out because he wasn't working. I worked that philosophy into my children's story books and decided that the hungry bunny didn't deserve to eat the farmer's lettuce after all, and he should be chased away. I also worked it into the bible where it says to feed the poor and decided that instead of feeding the poor people, I should teach them theology, because after all, they would go to hell with a full belly just as easily with an empty one. 

I began to see every homeless person as being lazy and untrustworthy, and focused on learning the truths of God's word instead so that I could impact lives from the inside out. However, that changed when I was challenged to read Jesus' words again. He commands us to care for the poor and he doesn't put any qualifiers on it. He doesn't say, "Give to the poor and demand that they buy groceries with it." He doesn't say, "Only give to those who are looking for work." He just says "Give to everyone who asks you for something" (Mt 5:42).  I began to realize that giving to the poor, or taking care of the vulnerable, not only gives them hope and nutrition, but it also teaches me a lesson. 

Working downtown in a  city, I soon found countless opportunities to put my faith into action. Or rather, they found me. Stepping out of the hotel, I would immediately be asked for money. I finally learned to carry change in my pocket. While I had no clue where they would be spending this money, I learned to leave it in God's hands. Instead, I would chat with them as we walked down the sidewalk together. I know it's not always wise to give irrationally, but maybe giving to the poor is more about what we need to learn than about what they need to eat. 

I learn to trust God when I give. I learn that He is kind and gracious to all of us. I learn that I don't deserve His blessings any more than a woman stopping me on the sidewalk and asking for money. Her hair is long and unkept and I don't know where she will go once she's out of my sight, but I can bless her and pray for her in Jesus' name. Although this is a very small action, it has opened my eyes in a big way to see that God respects and values every human being. I have learned to see past the downcast eyes or the demanding tone of some desperate people and instead to see the fingerprints of God on their lives. 

While I may not be able to affect change at government level, I can do small child-like things from day to day. I can take a container of soup to a senior who is struggling with depression during the isolation of Covid. I can call my neighbour widow and ask if she needs groceries picked up for her. I can listen to a friend share about the effects of childhood abuse and how they are still struggling with self-worth. I can sponsor children monthly through various organizations and I can write letters to my MP to protect children from trafficking. 

Maybe stuffing food into a pillowcase and sharing it with the hungry wasn't so far off after all. My heart still longs to help them, and maybe that's where God is found - in the hungry and homeless - who have so much to teach us about grace and no-strings-attached love of Jesus. While social justice issues have broadened from hunger and poverty to persecution, modern day slavery, and freedom of speech, it still comes down to individual people who need to be seen and acknowledged, and sometimes the best way to show that is by a handout, whether that hand holds a bag of food or material goods, or a handful of hope and dignity. 

While God warns governments that He will call them to account for how they've treated the poor and vulnerable, He also expects individuals to be aware of their needs and to help in whatever way they can. Giving comes naturally to children when they are raised with compassion, and God's words are simple enough for a child to understand. "Hear this, you who trample the needy and do away with the poor of the land . . .buying the poor with silver and the needy for a pair of sandals. . . The LORD  has sworn by himself, . . . 'I will never forget anything they have done. Will not the land tremble for this, and all who live in it mourn?' " (Amos 8:4,6a,7, 8a). 




   

22 comments:

  1. Oh Pam, I loved your post. Loved you taking your pillow case of 'food' to the children in Africa. What if your imaginary effort actually turned into real food for real children at that time? I've heard of stories where God has met the needs of people far, far away when we carried them in our heart. What if, one day, you will meet these children in heaven and they tell you they loved the chocolate cake?

    You speak beautifully to this issue, one I've wrestled with over my life and have come to similar conclusions. Like you, I learned to carry cash in my pocket for easy access and have loved not worrying about whether the person deserved it or not. If my heart reached out towards someone, I have tried to reach into my purse with love.

    Thank you! Heart hugs! Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! Interesting thoughts about imaginary actions becoming reality! 🤔 PS I’ve learned not to open my purse but rather to carry accessible cash in my pocket like you said.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Brenda! Interesting thoughts about imaginary actions becoming reality! 🤔 PS I’ve learned not to open my purse but rather to carry accessible cash in my pocket like you said.

      Delete
  2. This is powerful stuff, Pam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with giving money to homeless people. Back in Christ's time, there were no missions and no welfare. Now we have both. Back in Christ's time, there were no street drugs and wine was relatively weak compared to the wisky and vodka we have today. I know that we'd like to help but our help with cash just gets used for harmful things like drugs and alcohol. That's why it's better to fund homeless shelters which preach the gospel. Some cities also have food vouchers which can ONLY be redeemed for food items. I also learned the hard way that street people seek out obliging shop clerks who will exchange their change for paper money. I was warned not to do that by the liquor store manager who told me they didn't sell to panhandlers because they didn't want to contribute to their addiction or even death. I didn't want to contribute to destroying people so I stopped giving bills for change after that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there are lots of well-organized charities that do a good job of addressing the root issues of homelessness and poverty, and I regularly support them. Like George Verwer relates in his book, Messioligy, we make mistakes when giving and even charities cannot always be trusted to disperse funds, but God can be trusted and can turn an evil situation into something good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your heart, Pam. When we say that giving spare change/money is wrong, we paint every homeless person with the same brush. We stereotype. Not every homeless person is a drug user. Every person in this world is not immune to becoming homeless. We can lose a job/home. By giving $1.00 to a person in need I am allowing them to make their own decision how to spend it. After-all it is that person who knows what they need, not me. Some people with jobs don't spend their earnings wisely. Some sell food vouchers for money. It's not up to me to make their choices. I will continue to give money and/or whatever they need. It is with grace, love and no strings that I give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, Vickie. Giving with no strings attached is reflecting the freedom that God gives all of us even though we might squander our time and resources that He so generously gives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember asking my good friend Rick Tobias, Executive Director of Yonge St. Mission in Toronto - when I first moved there - how to respond to people on the street. He told me he always carries change and that when you give you should always look them in the eye. In that way, you are not only giving cash but also giving dignity. It's not my place to interrogate them but to extend kindness and generosity in whatever form God moves me to do so. I know one woman who always carries fruit and socks in her car ready to give to any homeless person she sees. There are always ways to give, just like there always ways to judge. The question is, what pleases Jesus, my brother. He's the One I am giving to, according to Matthew 24. Thanks for your beautiful post, Pam and I love what Brenda said about some child from Africa thanking you in heaven for the chocolate cake. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. It’s so nice to hear from you. I appreciate what you said about looking people in the eye. What a meaningful gesture.

      Delete
  8. Hi Pam, my friend. Such a wonderful heartfelt message for us from you. Here is my favourite heart line. "While I may not be able to affect change at government level, I can do small child-like things from day to day." This is how we can make a difference in the lives of people around us. Your heart is even more than child-like. You are Jesus-like in how you speak into our theme for this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Simple things mean so much.

      Delete
  9. The journey--from pretend with a pillow-case to monies from purse--you are on showing how God's been shaping your heart for the giving you do today. Being faithful to it rather than to the outcome, as it is in His hands after all, is the way to showing His ways in our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s with a sense of relief that we can trust our giving to the Lord!

      Delete
  10. It can be a challenge to overcome the negative things we learn at our parents' knees. Well done, good and faithful servant! You have chosen what is better: to listen to the words of Jesus and understand that God indeed "respects and values every human being."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents were extremely generous and still are. I’m so thankful for them!

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful reminder of what Jesus taught: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” What a loving and generous heart you have, Pam. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to think of that verse when I wrote this, Sharon. Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Pam. Loved this! Loved how you revealed the way a child thinks and how that can change overtime into cynicism. I think it's important when we encounter someone in need to give a quick check with what the Holy Spirit is saying in that moment that we happened to cross paths with them. Sometimes the answer may be to give in monetary ways, or other ways that we may not have even thought of ever doing, or perhaps we truly won't be asked to give in that moment? Perhaps we will be asked to pray for them. We just never know. It keeps us anticipating where God will take us and to who He might ask us to minister but also keeps us in the moment with the Holy Spirit and asking the questions we need to ask. I found your post lovely and challenging. It is so worth a re-post or print elsewhere in these times of such great need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gloria. I agree - it is so important to treat people as individuals and take them case by case and be open to the Holy Spirit’s leading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post to tell of your child's heart to give to the needy. Your imagination demonstrated God's heart for the world, and you carried this through to your adult life. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful post on so many levels. Always give with the the same compassion Jesus modelled and never ever stop learning from God’s word are two thoughts that stood out for me in this post. Thanks, Pam, for your honesty and loving generous heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.