October 27, 2020

Environmental Caretakers by Lorilee Guenter

 The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; Psalm 24:1



This sentiment directs much of my activity. Since at least high school the environment and our impact on it has been a topic I am drawn to. There is much harm happening to the world around us, a world God gave to us for our provision and our pleasure. He instructed us to rule over it and care for it. We have a choice to be a benevolent caretaker or to take all we can.

My interest in caring for our physical surroundings is not just for the benefit of the land, but for the people this land holds, people who are created in  God's image. Our treatment of our surroundings impacts those we share this place with. Our choices can help or harm.

As a writer and artist my words can influence others to consider their choices. I can recite the mantra of "reduce, reuse, recycle" until no one hears it, or I can invite others into the conversation. I try to listen and create, sharing the story of respect. This story, if told well, balances the needs of all. We need to use the resources around us to survive. We need energy to heat our homes, to grow and cook our food. We also need to recognize these resources are not evenly distributed, and those of us who have been blessed with more need to consider how we can help others. This recognition can help us as we care for God's creation, both His people and the world He gave us.

My words, no matter how compelling the story, are not enough. There are actions I can take, and so I must. I do not mean tossing recyclable materials in the correct bin and letting others deal with it although, for some things, that may be the best option I have at this time. I mean considering my impact and making small changes that can become large changes later. I must be aware the easy or popular choices are often not the most effective choices. I recognize my changes are not the same as changes others take. I must respect the places God has put them in, but I can use my actions coupled with my words to show respect and to inform.

I could list all the different actions I have taken or seen others take. I think respect and observation are much more effective because it lets us take the steps we can where we are. Many people have offered ideas. I choose to encourage people to consider the world around them and what they can do to be a good steward of what God has given us. Hopefully, as I watch and listen, I can learn how to be a better caretaker of the gifts I have been given, and encourage others to do the same.

9 comments:

  1. This is an important message that often gets glossed over in Christian circles, I find. Also, I love the art you shared. I am trying to figure out what medium you used. Is this fabric, coloured pencil, or a painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy. The artwork is watercolor on a used tea bag. For the white, I use the mixing white that is part of watercolor sets and then add either pastel or white pen to make it brighter if needed. I think I used a bit of pastel on this one for the trees.

      Delete
  2. I agree that we are given the task of managing creation as God says in Genesis 1. We have always recycled, long before it was the law. Our creation is beautiful and I am so thankful for how it points to Christ as a powerful, good, and intelligent Creator. If we manage creation well, it will continue pointing to Him. One thing my husband does, is to keep predatory animals under control. They get out of balance and begin taking down domestic herds of cattle and chickens etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intricacies of creation never cease to amaze me. God constantly leaves me in awe.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful art made from a teabag. You've reminded me we are made in God's image who is the Great Creator, so we have no excuse not to also be creative including in honouring and caring for the world He created for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you mentioned caring for this planet. That doesn't mean living way below the poverty line while letting Third World countries like China pollute their part of the world. Things have swung far out of balance. One extreme is wasting the planet. The other is crashing the first World economy and forcefully redistributing money to Third World tyrants. The best way to "save the planet" is evangelism. Once people realize that our world is a gift from a great and gracious deity, they automatically take better care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder that our choices are critical in caring for God's planet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for emphasizing how we can encourage each other to be a good steward and care for our planet, Lori!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.