October 28, 2020

Siblings in Trouble by Bruce Atchison

 One attitude that grieves me in North American Christians is the lack of care for anybody whom we don't have face-to-face contact. Just because we don't know them doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned with their welfare.

I love Hebrews 13:3. The Bible in Basic English reads, "Keep in mind those who are in chains, as if you were chained with them, and those who are in trouble, as being yourselves in the body." 

It's far too easy to become so involved in one's own problems. I liken it to how a toddler views the world compared to an adult. Children know only their surroundings. They can't relate to the larger world around themselves. Therefore, a broken toy is a huge concern.

In this interconnected age, there's no excuse for not knowing how our siblings in Christ are doing in the rest of the world. Organizations such as The Voice of the Martyrs sends out e-mail alerts and a monthly magazine highlighting the sufferings of believers in the rest of the world.

This  reticence to care about, and advocate for, Christians in peril isn't new. It happened to Paul, as he related in 2 Timothy 1:16 and 17. "May the Lord give mercy to the house of Onesiphorus because he frequently gave me help, and had no feeling of shame because I was in chains; But when he was in Rome, he went in search of me everywhere, and came to me."

We shouldn't be ashamed or uninterested in those folks who don't look like us or don't live in the same places we do. And with the ability to send funds to accredited aid organizations which also preach the gospel, we can offer help without leaving home.

We have this remote-giving precedent in the scriptures. Paul took up a collection for the poor saints at Jerusalem, as we read in 1 Corinthians 16:3 and 4 "And when I come, I will send the men of your selection with letters to take the money you have got together to Jerusalem. And if it is possible for me to go there, they will go with me."

With the help of accountable agencies and secure money transfers, we can give Christ's workers the finances they need to spread compassion and the gospel around the world.







5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Bruce. God bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, We must remember our brothers and sisters who are in chains. Thank you for the reminder.
    Pam M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the needs of our "siblings in trouble", Bruce. I, too, pray for the persecuted church and support their cause. I was even on a mission trip to a country with high persecution to encourage and strengthen believers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also pray regularly for our persecuted brothers and sisters. Voice of the Martyrs does a very important work on our behalf. Thanks for sharing your heart, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this much needed reminder, Bruce. I used to pray regularly for the persecuted church until I misplaced the prayer card a church friend gave me. She is very involved in this ministry. She's the reason I know about it. And now you're the reason why I have written down "The Voice of the Martyrs" in my prayer book.
    God bless you ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.