October 21, 2020

My Hot Button - Tracy Krauss


When Sandi Somers suggested this month's topic almost a year ago, I doubt she had a crystal ball, but when we look around us at the world today, it seems more timely than ever. There is one issue that has always been my 'hot button' topic and that is racism. It is probably the one thing that sets my blood boiling. 

I am a fairly tolerant person. Some people don't like the word 'tolerance' because they feel it smacks of being wishy-washy; not standing up for what is right. I will admit that in most cases, I prefer not to stir the pot and can let some things slide. I try not to "sweat the small stuff." 

BUT, as any of my past students can attest, there was (and is) one thing I would not tolerate - ever. Racism. Even "jokes" or what might seem to some as just a passing comment, were called to account. It didn't matter who the slur was directed at - or even it it was directed at no one in particular - I addressed it. 

Racism is ugly. It is also indiscriminate. 

A few years ago I submitted a piece to The Upper Room.  I felt privileged when it got published in the summer of 2019. It was based on an incident that happened to a close friend of mine who lives in Winnipeg. He also happens to be Cree. Here is the UR mediation below:

A Real Life Samaritan

Read Luke 10: 30 -37

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. (Luke 10:33 NIV)

A good friend was mugged one evening after getting off a city bus. He normally projects a rather intimidating figure, but he was using a cane because of a painful abdominal condition. Apparently, his vulnerability made him an easy target.

Unfortunately, no one came to his aid immediately until two young men arrived on the scene. They chased the mugger away, called 911, and then sat with him until the ambulance arrived. The thing that struck my friend the most was that these two young men were immigrant Muslims. While no one else would stop to help, it was two unlikely looking strangers who showed him true kindness, despite the cultural differences. It was a poignant reminder to avoid making judgements based on outward appearance or cultural expectations.

In Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan, the two people that should have stopped to help did not, while the ‘unlikely candidate’ did. Perhaps we could all benefit from taking a look at the way we view others, no matter their background or the colour of their skin. When we look through Jesus' eyes, we see each person as He sees them – made in the image of the Creator. 

Thought for the day: Every person has value in God’s eyes.

_________________

The thing that didn't make it into this account was the fact that my friend was a victim, not only of the mugger, but of racism. He is a husky, strong, obviously First Nations man. Because he had just had surgery he was using a cane and he was in a lot of pain. He said that no one helped him when the mugging was happening and then people passing by took a wide berth. In his words, "Everyone thought I was just another drunk Indian." 

Honestly, I am actually crying as I write this. My eyes are so blurry I can hardly see the keyboard! That description does not fit my friend. He is a compassionate and hard working person. But here is the thing that really makes me cry: Even if he WAS drunk and homeless, that doesn't make him less deserving of basic human dignity! 

People's worth is not about the colour of their skin, but human value also has nothing to do with socio-economic status, or current situation. THIS is what truly breaks my heart! 

I'm glad that governments are trying to bring about reconciliation and that people are being educated about racial inequalities. However, I'm not sure that government legislation is going to make much difference. I believe it starts in the hearts of people. Each individual must look inside themselves and make a conscious effort NOT to judge others, no matter how they appear or what the circumstances. 

_________________

Tracy Krauss
writes from her home in northern BC. She is currently serving as InScribe's president. Visit her website for more: tracykrauss.com -fiction on the edge without crossing the line-

7 comments:

  1. Amen! It does start with our hearts that we should always be turning toward Jesus to change so we are more like Him in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honest expression regarding racism, Tracy. Racism is a symptom of derision I wish we could eliminate in our society. I remember a gentleman called my wife, "white trash" because she talked to his wife. Such bigotry surprised us as a result of an innocent exchange. This reminded me of how we need to be careful how we interact with each other. I have members of my family who are brown skinned. We get along just fine. This all causes me to be more sensitive to people in general. Yes, indeed, divine heart surgery is in order as we live together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another topic that makes so many of us sad and angry. Thankfully the love of Jesus and his teachings guide us on a path to make a difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon Hamilton7:52 am GMT-7

    That is such a sad and troubling story, Tracy. Thank God for those two young men who stepped in. I pray that God will give me courage to intervene if I ever see something like that. I'm pretty sure i couldn't chase away two assailants, but i could call for help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gives me goosebumps, Tracy - how the non-typical people stopped to help and they were truly the good Samaritans. I love your meditation. And, I totally agree with you that more laws and policies will not bring about reconciliation, but rather it’s what comes from our heart. Thankfully, Jesus can change our hearts. I’m so thankful for your message. My dad taught me to respect even the drunk and the homeless. They often found their way into our waiting room (attached to our CPR homes) for the night and though we were all a little afraid, we also learned to be caring and respectful of all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tracy, this is both a beautiful and poignant story about a man who deserved to be helped immediately.
    One of the things I focused on in my little homeschool of three students I gave birth to was Canadian Indigenous history. I painted a picture of what our racist ancestors did in full-colour of what truly happened. Not sanitized. Not whitewashed. We were angered by what we discovered while watching the DVDs we were blessed to come across.
    Canada has so much blood on her hands. So much. We need to make peace with our own First Nations people first before parading ourselves as peacekeepers abroad.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.