October 22, 2020

“Lord Have Mercy” by Alan Anderson

 


“Love sinners, but hate their deeds, and do not disdain sinners for their failings, so that you yourself do not fall into the temptation in which they abide… Do not be angry at anyone and do not hate anyone, neither for their faith, nor for their shameful deeds… Do not foster hatred for the sinner, for we are all guilty… Hate his sins, and pray for him, so that you may be made like unto Christ, who had no dislike for sinners, but prayed for them.”

(St. Isaac the Syrian, Homily 57,90)

 

If there is ever a month of our blog posts to weep over this is the one. This theme of social justice causes me to pull within myself. I find myself overwhelmed by the fragility of people as I read our posts this month.

For decades now, my heart has grieved for the unborn. Canada’s form of barbarism is most noticeable in our country’s absence of laws on abortion. Even our politicians seem to avoid discussion in terms of the inhumanity of abortion. I am thankful I gave up trust in politicians years ago. I also grieve for Canada in the decision the Canadian government took by inflicting Medical Assistance in Dying on the country. Lord have mercy

Rather than go off on a tangent about Canada’s barbarism, I have decided on a different direction for this post. This month’s blog theme fills me with love for our InScribe family of writers. You all care for our world in word and deed. We walk through this theme of social justice together with hearts bonded by love.

Not too long ago, I posted a brief message on Facebook to counteract the negativity expressed on social media. Here is what I wrote. “Shh! Can you hear it? Listen. Yes, listen. Shh be still. No, don't move. Listen. Calm your heart. Sit alone. Listen. Listen. Ahh, yes, the still small voice of God amidst the confused clamor of the world.” Simple, right? This Facebook post expressed my need to slow down and listen.

The blog posts this month remind me of the tenderness God has placed on the hearts of His people. My friends, your messages are an encouragement for us to slow down and listen to your beautiful hearts. You help in this child of God being determined to love people. To love others is more of God than judging them. In my lifelong sadness over abortion and euthanasia, I cling to love and not judging people. 

Sin has damaged humanity. None of us is without sin. In Eastern Orthodox Christianity we have a saying used in a simple prayer. We ask for God’s compassion on us, “Lord have mercy.” Lord, have compassion, have mercy on those who cause injustices. Lord have mercy on victims of injustices. Lord have mercy on those of us involved in ministries of compassion. Lord have mercy on us all. 

Dear InScribe family of writers and readers, listen. Despite the confused clamor of the world, God still speaks.  Take a few minutes when you finish reading here to listen to God. 

Dear friends, writers, and readers, what have you taken away from our posts this month?

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. 

 

 



https://scarredjoy.ca/


8 comments:

  1. I love the quote from your FB post. Yes, indeed... we all need to listen more, don't we - not to ourselves or the clamour of voices vying for attention - but to God's still, small, voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Tracy. To listen helps slow us down I for one need to be reminded of this.

      Delete
  2. My prayer is that God would whack sinners upside the head so they'd realize what they're doing. Like Saul of Tarsis, he honestly felt he was serving the Lord by persecuting Christians. God's mercy is sometimes rough but it gets the job done.

    I also feel that exposing injustice, such as favouriteism among government employees, needs to be exposed. That's why I post on social media about injustices. Public pressure often makes tyrants back down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This month's posts have shown me just how much we care about the people in this world - all people. How injustice breaks our hearts. We know that the God of all comfort keeps watch over our weeping. God sees our hearts and he uses us in ways that we can't always understand from the smallest of deeds to the biggest. It is God that is using us to do his work. For his glory. This month I feel as though I stepped into the world of many of my Inscribe friends, learning what causes them to grieve and what drives them to do something about it. Thank you, Alan and to everyone who offered up so many different stories of life and how God has encouraged you to move in the darkness - do what might seem impossible and believe everything is possible with God. Love and compassion motivates our desire to do good for others, put others before ourselves and this months we have read about those desires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie! Thank you for your comment. You sum up our month well.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Alan and Vickie. You both summed up our month very well. I couldn't have written anything better. Our posts have shown our hearts to the world'suffering ones in such a kaleidoscope of colours. Thank you all! And thanks to you who have yet to add your perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi! Yes indeed, this is a thought provoking month for us. I love we are all on this journey together.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.