February 25, 2016

Who's In Your Corner? By Vickie Stam



"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and, he will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3


When someone tells you, "You won't win"....it hurts. They're  obviously not in your corner. I wanted to shout, "you're wrong!" but it was my first crack at writing something that had the potential to go to print and for a fraction of a second I wondered if I was feeling too optimistic.

Those words stung. Still, I could see my story. I could visualize people reading it. I could see it in print. It was a dream. An exciting dream! And every fiber of my being wanted to win.

"You can't win if you don't buy a ticket." Isn't that what we always hear right before the big jackpot? So I told myself, "you can't win if you don't enter."

I remember running my tongue over the flap on the back of the envelope. I hated the taste of the glue but I needed to seal the covering before handing it over to the person behind the counter at the post office. She gently sat the large envelope on the scale. I wondered if the words inside would tip the scale. Words characterizing someone with an iron-hand sprawled across the page. It reeked of injustice. Regular postage would certainly not suffice.

A cover letter was attached bearing my name and other necessary information needed to enter the contest. This was no ordinary letter. I had gone over every word more times than I dared to count. I could not afford mistakes.

Handing over the money, watching her put the stamp on the front and seeing her drop the envelope in the mail slot made me realize there was no turning back. It was a done deal. My story was now on its way. No one read it before it was neatly tucked inside its shell. Not a single person gave me their opinion. There was no on line critique group, no fellow writer I could turn to. Quite simply, I wrote a story; a story I felt had a strong possibility of winning.

When I turned and walked out the door I remember hearing the bells ring; the ones that dangled from the door handle of the post office. If hope could ring...it surely did. For the women behind the counter the sound was merely a signal of someone coming in. For me, something was going out. Something big! 

Even though my story was short, two hundred and fifty words to be exact, I felt it was a story that needed to be told and I was certain I could do it inside of one paragraph.  

Sadly, I did not win. Even so, I'm glad I found the courage to press on, move past those sharp words that for a millisecond almost robbed me of my self-confidence.

Today, I'm happy to say, I have a few trusted friends who encourage me to write. They're kind. And they don't tell me, "You won't win."

         

11 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking that risk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times in our lives when the biggest boost of encouragement comes from within ourselves. God breathed.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to have friends who encourage you so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is amazing what we can do when people are in our corner. Thanks for sharing your story. I connected with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone shares a passion for writing so when we find someone that does, it's truly a gift.

      Delete
  4. You did win. You overcome the fear and moved forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Vicki. This is a reminder that at times we have to be our own biggest fan. I for one don't find that easy and I too have had those who have pushed me down in my attempts. Congrats for sending it out...that was so much more important that 'winning.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Gloria. I was glad that I had the courage to enter the contest and winning would have been wonderful but when it didn't happen I was more than okay.

      Delete
  6. Hurrah for those friends who are kind and encouraging and tell you, "You CAN win!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is unfortunate that anyone would put a person down like that. We don't need to give each other ridiculously false hope, but it's hard to imagine people being so unkind. This makes me go back to my mother's words, "If you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all."

    I agree with Tammy when she says, "You did win. You overcome the fear and moved forward." And you continue to win. I appreciated reading your well-told story, especially your openness on this early step in your writing. Your appeal to the senses brings the story to life: your visualization of the big win, handing the envelope over to the teller, watching her lick the envelope . . . the bell ringing your story's send off. Keep on writing, Vickie. You are a good writer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.