February 21, 2016

Pink Mountains …. by Jocelyn Faire


We cannot accomplish all that we need to do without working together. Bill Richardson
Every time I walk into a library or a Chapters book store I question my call to write. As I gaze row upon row of published books, it seems that there are more than enough words flung out onto the vast empty pages. A main reason, I was reluctant to join a writers group, is because I did not feel as though I qualified as a writer.
And how do you define writer? The online dictionary defines writer as:

noun
1. a person engaged in writing books, articles, stories, etc., especially as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist.
2. a clerk, scribe, or the like.
3. a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing :

My credentials come via point three—I am a person who commits my thoughts to writing. As I connect with others who write, I learn and improve my writing practice. It has become increasingly important for me to connect with others along the writing journey. It's what keeps me going back to put pen to paper. I have a writing partner that I met via Inscribe. We meet monthly to spur one another on. I always feel energized after our time together. Then the knowing that we will meet again spurs me on because I need to have something worked on for the next time.

As I publish my post today, I will be celebrating the second last day of a spiritual retreat. Two dear friends join me in February for what has become known as the Pink Mountain Retreat. The name has developed from nature. In the clear February air, the morning sun reflects back on the snowy mountains, and on occasion the skies pink hues descend onto the mountains with their rosy glow. It is especially during these times I have been encouraged to write. These soul sister friends also provide the rosy glow in my life as they reflect their spiritual inner light and love.

These ladies have walked the miles between my story happening and the publishing of my first book; they have helped edit grammatically and helped improve clarifity. They have asked me if I didn't want a shorter sentence. Did I mean to sound angry in that section? Should that be a semi-colon? And they have embraced the writing and say well done.
Like good undergarments, these ladies are foundational for my writing; they lift me up when I am doubting, they separate the good from the not so good, and they are close to my heart. (Perhaps they would ask if I want to shorten that run on sentence.)
An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.Proverbs 12:25A man finds joy in giving an apt reply—and how good is a timely word.Proverbs 15:23 (The Message)

We can and should cheer one another along in the journey of writing and life. 
And Thank-you fellow Inscribe bloggers

Jocelyn is the author of Who is Talking Out of My Head, Grief as an Out of Body Experience, 
She blogs at http://whoistalking.wordpress.com
 

8 comments:

  1. Such an encouraging post, Jocelyn! ( I like the line about the undergarments, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, Jocelyn, I often feel like there are enough words out there ... especially when I walk into a bookstore. But what I'm learning is that my view - my voice - is unique in God's eyes. And what I have to say - what you have to say - can be said in such a way that will resonate with someone out there who would not be reached otherwise. It's hard for me to wrap my head around that but I'm learning. Thanks for your post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the multitude of words … may the spirit guide us as we write the words we are given to share--Thank-you.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:24 pm GMT-7

    "Like good undergarments...." I like that analogy. Good mentors for our writing lift us up, support and steady us. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Like good undergarments..." Hahaha That comparison made me smile because we all desire good undergarments. And how appropriate to writing are those verses from Proverbs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Jocelyn--all of it: the undergarments, the short and long sentences, The Pink Mountain Retreat. I too am a person who commits my thoughts to writing, who figures things out by writing, and who often prays on paper. I understand what you are saying about all the books we see in Chapters, but I agree with Jocelyn when she says that we each have a unique voice and a special point of view. Perhaps you are the only on who can say exactly what someone needs to hear. Then, our writing friends and God can help us say that message to the best of our ability. Thanks for this blog, Jocelyn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.