A couple of years ago I won a Melody Carlson contest, winning a signed copy of "Here's To Friends" by Melody Carlson. Melody's contest question was to describe why friends are important to you.
My best-friends draw my eyes to the abundant sky. So often I am filling my plate with a heap of doing but what gives me more nutrition is a mountain of being. Friends that keep me centred on the journey, not the destination, vividly colouring my sky daily, are true treasures and blessings from God.
In my writing journey I have been blessed by many writers and others who have, like my best-friends, kept me centred on the journey of writing, and coloured my sky especially when the darkness of writer's block, procrastination, and doubt in my abilities would envelope my soul.
Here are few of my favourite moments of blessing by other writers and teachers:
1. My first English Professor at Yukon College who encouraged me to never stop writing. He also said I had a unique 'issue' of not writing enough words (compared to the usual issue for many writers of writing too much). I found this actually encouraging to know that I had a unique problem, which I took to be a more 'creative' issue!
2. My grade 12 Religious Studies teacher who commented that my written prayers were 'beautiful' and evoked a deep spiritual life.
3. My grade 5 teacher who wanted to publish the speech I had written entitled People in the local paper for its insight and depth.
4. My best-friend's mom, who always carried a yellow pad of paper and pencil for me whenever we went on any of our childhood excursions, so I could write of the adventure and then read them to her later.
5. And, last by not least, my current writers group, with their experience and wisdom, keeping me centred in Him as my writing journey unfolds to destinations that are often a surprise! I love all of you.
My hope is you too, have friends that keep you centred on your writing journey and colour your sky.