August 21, 2020

Livin' the Writing Dream - Tracy Krauss

To quote a good friend of mine, I'm "Livin' the dream..."


My writing dreams began in the mid-eighties when I started writing a novel as a creative outlet.  Before long, I dreamt of seeing my book in print someday, but for a very long time that seemed unrealistic. Just finishing was a daunting task as I snatched bits and pieces of time midst a busy life of motherhood, homeschooling, ministry, and part time work. 
But once that dream had been planted, it never vanished. Years later I finally had a finished manuscript. Then I took a giant leap and shared my precious baby. That's when I really found out what perseverance means. Rejection, discouragement and feelings of inadequacy became the norm. The school of hard knocks can be a cruel teacher, but is an effective one if you don't let it crush you. I was learning so much that I couldn't give in. It came down to a willingness to learn from my mistakes and carry on. There's no room for pride or defeat. 
Twenty-some years after the dream's inception, it finally became reality when my first book got published. This was before the self publishing revolution was wide spread, so I was fortunate to get a traditional book deal, even though the publisher wasn't one of the 'big six'. Still, I'm grateful since I learned a lot about the industry by working with editors, agents etc. What seemed like a pipe dream all those years before was suddenly coming true. I thought I'd finally "made it". 
Until... a new reality settled in very shortly after! I naively thought I could just sit back and let the royalties roll in! What a wake up call! Apparently, I was set to traverse another huge learning curve about marketing and promotion. I also realized that becoming rich and famous probably weren't part of the equation.
Fast forward to the present. Thirty-five years later, the writing dream is still alive and well. I am still compelled to write, but also still need to engage a good measure of self discipline in order to find the time, even though my children are grown and I've retired from teaching public school. Marketing and promotion are still a huge part of the game, and I keep learning new things everyday, just barely staying ahead of the curve. Some things never change!
Although the dream to write is still there, my expectations have changed, I think. The combined royalties from my twenty plus books and plays are higher than they were, but I haven't become rich and famous - and that's okay with me. I'm not concerned about the money. 
My new dream is to just keep on writing as many books as I possibly can before I run out of strength! (It is doubtful I will ever run out of ideas!) With the current DIY publishing options available, I can do this without having to wait for the gatekeepers (a.k.a. agents and publishers) to let me in. I've already republished several of my own titles as the rights have reverted back to me, and I plan to keep on publishing new books as I write them. 
If there is anything I hope readers take away it's this: Don't give up on your dreams! Dreams change and mature, but that doesn't mean they have to die. As my friend Russ always says, "I'm livin' the dream!" (And he just had a heart transplant!) 
_____________________________________
Tracy Krauss is currently serving as InScribe's president. With more than twenty novels, plays and books in print, she is still 'Livin' the dream" in northern BC. Visit her website for more information: https://tracykrauss.com  -fiction on the edge without crossing the line- 

13 comments:

  1. Tracy, I so enjoyed your post. It's true, dreams change and mature as we ourselves grow and mature. It's an exciting time for writers, and I am so glad you are still living your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. I think I first met you shortly after that first book came out at my first ever ICWF conference. You were so kind and gracious - and still are today!

      Delete
  2. That's a great dream, Tracy. And motivating. I think I will grab onto Russ' mantra too. "I'm livin' the dream." It's a way to stay in constant gratitude no matter what stage we're in toward our dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I know a lot of people say that same thing, but seriously, Russ says it like EVERY TIME you talk to him - even when he couldn't walk anymore and was hooked up to an artificial heart pump while waiting for a heart transplant! (Which he had recently and is now doing very well!)

      Delete
  3. So true about living the dream. I used to joke that if I had a novel idea, I'd write a book. I've written 3 thus far and I'm struggling with a fourth. It's a lot like herding cats but I'm up for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep on going Bruce! Your message is important and needs to told!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your encouraging words, Tracy. You are a genuine encourager. After a number of years of trepidation I have started to work on my "dream" writing project.I highlight this dream on my Aug. 22 post. Keep up the great work, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your post, Alan, and I felt inspired! I have written a bit of poetry off and on for fun, but I don't feel as if it is my main way of communicating. Poetry is actually all about the emotional response, as you said. Best of luck with your project!

      Delete
  5. I love your books, Tracy, and I appreciate your words here today about being self-disciplined. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Pam! Yes, self discipline is still needed - perhaps even more so when one has less outside responsibilities!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for such an inspiring post, Tracy! It's true our dreams change as we accomplish what we've set out to do and as we mature. Thanks for encouraging us to never give up on our dreams! By God's grace He will accomplish what we ask Him to do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Tracy, I admire your persistence. Thank you for inspiring me. And thanks for reminding us there are various options for writers now too.
    Blessings as you continue to write - Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.