August 28, 2020

When Work Will Become Play - Bruce Atchison

For those who don't know me, I've lived on a disability pension since 1995. In July of that year, I went to a work counselor to find out which line of employment I was suited for. After showing the man my tear sheets from amateur electronic music fan magazines, he recommended I become a freelance writer.

What takes the fun out of writing for me is having to be under threat of scrutiny by Canada Pension Plan. According to their regulations, I had to find employment in the kind of work I previously did for the federal government. After two years, I was supposed to find any sort of employment.

Doing what's needed is nowhere as enjoyable as doing what one loves. That's why I sympathize with one epistle writer in particular. Jude 1:3 (Bible in Basic English) shows his dilemma. "My loved ones, while my thoughts were full of a letter which I was going to send you about our common salvation, it was necessary for me to send you one requesting you with all my heart to go on fighting strongly for the faith which has been given to the saints once and for ever."

There's absolutely nothing wrong with contending for the faith. Poor Jude would rather have rejoiced in the great privilege of salvation but the Holy Spirit reassigned his writing work to defend the truth.

Furthermore, Paul wanted to be with the Lord but he knew the churches needed him more. Philippians 1:23 and 24 (BBE) says, "I am in a hard position between the two, having a desire to go away and be with Christ, which is very much better: Still, to go on in the flesh is more necessary because of you."

Furthermore, Jesus let out a cry of triumph in John 19:30 (BBE). "So when Jesus had taken the wine he said, 'All is done.' And with his head bent he gave up his spirit."

I know I'll feel so happy when I retire next year. Canada Pension Plan won't be on my back bumper anymore. I earned my pension and, God willing, my retirement pension will await me. And if I feel inspired to write, I will do so without fear that I'll be tossed off my hard-earned pension.

4 comments:

  1. Well now, Bruce, there's something to which you can truly look forward. I'm excited for you. Writing from inspiration as the heart leads will be so much nicer than writing from that dictatorial 'should' position.

    Best blessings,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations (when the time comes) Bruce. You've earned it! God bless and keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you as you anticipate moving into a new phase of life, Bruce. I know from experience that retirement brings both a relaxation and rest from work and financial responsibilities, as well as new, creative, and exciting opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best on your upcoming retirement and entering into a new phase, Bruce! I ditto Tracy. God bless and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.