August 13, 2020

Small Steps Can Cause Huge Changes by Wendy L. Macdonald


 This month’s writing prompt is a pleasure to respond to because even though I’m still puzzled about which manuscripts I’m supposed to try to publish, I have been heeding God’s nudges to continue taking small steps regarding my writing life.

Small steps can cause huge changes. 

Whoever can be trusted with little can also be trusted with much ... Luke 16:10 NIV 

I’m practicing one of my small steps as I write the first draft of this blog post. Instead of answering emails first, I’m using this early morning time to write while my mind is at it’s freshest. Mornings are best because no one interrupts me. I can dig deep into the ink well of inspiration.

Another small step I’ve taken is to cut back on the social media posts I do. It has freed up time for me to write and edit my own blog posts for wendylmacdonald.com. Now I have more time to work on my bigger writing projects too. Plus, the time I do allow myself to engage on social media has been more enjoyable since I have more energy to focus on others. 

Engagement is more rewarding than posting—in so many ways.

I’m an introvert. It may not seem like it when I’m out and about because I often speak a slew of sentences. But it’s nervous chatter for the most part. I prefer it when I listen more and say less. My introversion often stops me from entering contests. But I need more feedback on two of my projects; therefore, I heeded the nudge to brave up; I entered them. The responses I get will help me decide whether to set them aside and switch my focus elsewhere. I’ve also braved joining a critique group for nonfiction writers. This is a small step that will reap huge changes for my writing. 

I’m keeping all my writing doors open. And I’m praying God opens and closes them according to His will for me. I’m a lousy guesser at what His plans are. So much about my life is not how I guessed or hoped it would be. 

But I have to admit my unexpected journey has taught me so much more about God’s grace and goodness than if I’d lived the kind of life I wanted in the first place: 

  • God makes us richer for the losses we’ve suffered.
  • Faith doesn’t shine until it’s been refined.
  • The Lord uses the lean times in our lives to make our souls richer in Jesus Christ.  

I’m nosy-to-know if you’ve noticed small steps can cause huge changes in ones writing life?

P.S. I recently wrote a blog post about progress for writers here: The Pilgrim's Progress for Writers

Blessings ~ Wendy Mac   


12 comments:

  1. "Faith doesn't shine until it's been refined." Oh, I do love that! Thanks for the engaging post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting, dear Lynn.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
    2. “God makes us richer for the losses we’ve suffered.”
      I needed to hear this today in order to be encouraged to adjust an attitude.
      Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, dear Angelina. I'm also tapping in to that truth this week. God's economy looks vastly different than the world's.

      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  2. Heed the nudge so you can budge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! God does entrust us with small things and we are to be faithful. Who's to say our 'small thing' isn't super important for someone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. Yes, our "small thing" could be someone's big answer to prayer. Obedience is our job and size determination is God's.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  4. I too related to following God in what appear to be the small things and small steps. He sometimes honours us with bigger blessings when we do so. Thanks for this post, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. I've noticed the glamorous things tend to be easier to be faithful in; however, I agree the small stuff are solid stepping stones to "bigger blessings."
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  5. Mornings are best for me also, and I know what you mean about backing off social media. It can be a time-waster and draining too. I also relate to being a lousy guesser at what God's plans may be. Rich Mullins once said something like, "God doesn't care what you do (in terms of occupation); He just cares about whether or not you're sold out to Him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Susan, for letting me know I'm not alone at being a lousy guesser regarding God's plans for us. Yes, yes, and yes to Rich Mullins' words. Being sold out to Jesus is the only way to live a life that's pleasing to God and satisfying to us. Any other way drains our energy, joy, and peace.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.