August 22, 2020

Plant Them a Garden: A Work of Reflection and Poetry by Alan Anderson

 

 

This year I have the privilege of writing a series of articles for our FellowScript magazine. The articles highlight the theme of writing as healing. Since I began exploring this theme, it has cuddled its way into my heart.

 

 

My exploration of writing as healing brought me to a new love for poetry. Writing poems has been a tremendous source of comfort and healing as I recover from a personal health challenge this year. This caused me to slow life down.

 

 

2020 has taken my writing into a direction I have entertained for years but never entered. Through consultation with a few trusted writer friends, I am ready to unleash my writing beyond my previous boundaries. Poetry will be a highlight of the project I am working on now.

 

 

I like to read a wide selection of poetry as I develop this piece. This includes seventeenth-century poets like John Donne, to the intense style of Sylvia Plath, to more contemporary poets like Joshua Jordan. Poetry motivated by actual life inspires me regardless of its historical context.

 

 

My writing project for 2020/21 is a personal journey. I am dedicating it to my five grandchildren in heaven. I had been working on a fictional story to highlight the theme of grandparent grief. The more I thought of the theme, I sensed a pull toward poetry and prose and not a fictional story. I am calling this project, “Plant Them a Garden: a Work of Reflection and Poetry.”

 

 

Here are a few cursory points on what poetry means to me.

 

 

Poetry helps me listen

When I worked as a chaplain in healthcare I developed sharper listening skills than I had before. In spiritual care work the art of listening is essential. One cannot be an empathic presence without listening to people. Writing a poem helps me listen to the message within me.

 

 

 Poetry is intimate

The intimacy of poetry is what I love about it. As a poet I can get up close and personal with the words I want to convey. Poetry can be as honest and real as the poet wants it to be. Writing poetry helps slow life down and allows my thoughts to caress my mind. A slower pace helps me focus on the message of the poem.

 

 

Poetry helps me reflect on life.

I learn about myself through poetry. Poems help reveal how I interact and relate with the world. Ideas for poems run through my mind often. My poems focus on real life and touch on matters of the heart.

 

 

Poetry has purpose

There is intent and a reason behind every poem. 

Writing poetry eases the weights within me about life. My prayer is my poetry will find its way into hearts longing for peace and a pathway to hope.

 

 

Poetry has meaning

Writing poems cause me to think on a deep level about the words written. A hope I have for my poems is they will cause an emotional response in readers. I pray the messages of my poems are meaningful to my readers.

 

 

Grandparent grief is often overlooked and hidden. To see life through the eyes of grandparent grief is a unique perspective. I hope to give a voice to this hidden grief through, Plant Them A Garden: a Work of Reflection and Poetry.

 

 

Plant Them A Garden: a Work of Poetry, has been in my mind for years. I approach this project prepared to lay my soul bare with deep and personal thoughts on life. My prayer is it will be a source of comfort and healing for grandparents (and parents) who grieve the death of children they love.

 

 


https://scarredjoy.ca/

23 comments:

  1. Wow. Your list should be published elsewhere. It is both thoughtful and thought provoking. (I makes me want to write poetry!) I wish you well in your project and I'm sure it will touch many people's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Tracy. This project has been nagging at me for a number of years. If I don't work on it I may regret not doing it.

      Delete
  2. So beautifully and succinctly expressed, Alan. Poetry is a unique language of the heart. From King David to modern-day poets like yourself, having a glimpse into your heart reflects on our own and we come to understand ourselves better through your words. I look forward to reading your book someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your comments and heart words about poetry, Valerie. I have always loved poetry. Over the past couple of years I have given serious thought to writing my own poems. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was such a delight to read, Alan. Poetry brings such beautiful language to me in a way that touches me deeply. I join you in your prayer that your poetry "will find a way into hearts longing for peace and a pathway to hope." God bless you on your poet's journey as you honour your grandchildren in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi. I sincerely appreciate your support. This may sound odd but I made a promise to my grandbabies in heaven they would not be forgotten. Plant Them a Garden is my memorial to them.

      Delete
  5. I think it's wonderful that you are writing poetry about a loss that needs a voice. Break the silence and write the words that people are longing to hear. Your words will absolutely stir the emotions of people who have felt this loss and those who need/want to understand it. I'm sure God will bless you and guide you on this new writing journey. My prayers are with you 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resonate with what you say, Vickie. Yes, I hope, "Plant Them A Garden," will be a voice for those who miss their grandchildren.

      Delete
  6. I love how you listen. I believe that listening is a gift that brings healing to others. I sense that in your writing and I look forward to hearing your listening voice in your poetry.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam. A major lesson I embraced is only when I listen will I know if my words are needed. A skill is knowing when or if to speak. I can tell in your words you know how to listen.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful truths about poetry. I shall keep your list. So “right on.” Looking forward to reading “Plant Them a Garden.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie. I'm honoured you find my list helpful. Bless you as you continue to listen to people.

      Delete
  8. Alan, this is such a lovely project. May 'Plant Them A Garden' bring healing to many grieving grandparent hearts. And may your own heart be buoyed as you honour and remember your own dear, dear grandchildren. I wish you grace for your poet's journey (to use Sandi's lovely phrase).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brenda. :) I find writing poetry is a tremendous comfort to me. I pray the same for those who read, Plant Them A Garden, when I send it into the world. Thank you for your encouragement and blessing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan, you are the right person to write this and it is definitely the right time to do so! The passion in your purpose and your words offered here are confirmation of such. Press on poetic one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis! Yes, I agree, the timing is right for, Plant Them A Garden. This decision alone has taken me years to decide. The poetry route surprised me at first but it makes sense to me now. My hopw is to have it published. First things first however. Now is the time for me to roll up my sleeves and help the words get on to the page. :)

      Delete
  11. You need no luck at all, this is God working through your fingers. I support you 100% Always remember to believe in yourself, your dreams and no matter what, keep going, and keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I support you 100 % You need no luck at all. This is the work of God working through your fingers. I hope you enjoy your journey and it's going to be great watching from the sidelines. Keep going, keep writing and keep smiling, but most importantly, always believe in yourself and your dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I support you 100 % You need no luck at all. This is the work of God working through your fingers. I hope you enjoy your journey and it's going to be great watching from the sidelines. Keep going, keep writing and keep smiling, but most importantly, always believe in yourself and your dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  14. First, I am devestated for you in your loss. And I agree, grandparents are often forgotten. What a beautiful way to remember your grandchildren and create more poetry- which our world needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you took time to comment here Mary Jo. I've begun writing a few poems at this time. I'm sure people may think a few of them are dark yet this is often a dark time for grandparents as they grieve not only for the child but their adult child as well.

      Delete
  15. Way to go uncle Allen keep it up I couldn’t agree more in your thought provoking message

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blake! Thanks so much for your encouraging comment. I appreciate it so much.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.