As I think about the outreach and ministry opportunities God has given me through my writing, the analogy of planting and harvesting comes to mind.
In 2014 and 2015, I had opportunities to have a larger amount of writing published. It seemed like every time I turned around, something new was waiting for me. In 2016, this hasn't been the case. My time and energy have been used up in other pursuits, which are as important as writing, if not more.
However, this year seems to be a "planting" rather than a "harvest" time. I don't know about you, but I enjoy celebration more than times of preparation or darkness. However, we can't have the one season without the other.
Although my writing is not being published as much, God encouraged me lately that His words are getting out in other ways:
- My main role at present is that of Mom. Every day I have opportunities to share with my kids and live Jesus before them.
- My husband and I share the role of Sunday School Superintendent at our church. We teach children ages 2-14. It's a challenge to make God's Word practical. However, we have discovered that simple prizes motivate these kids to read the Bible and memorize verses, which we know will not return empty!
- I teach Music for Young Children to kids ages 2-8, and rub shoulders with their parents every week. These families share their challenges very openly and I have the opportunity to encourage them and give them ideas of things that work for me.
- One of my volunteer activities is serving as chair of our public K - grade 12 school council. A new Principal started working at our school in September 2015. One of the first things I did was tell her I was praying for her, even though I had no idea where she stood spiritually. We have built a solid friendship and an open working relationship. She often thanks me for my prayers and gives me specific things to pray about.
- My cell phone provides opportunities to send a quick text message to people who are too busy for a phone call. Many thank me for what I share.
- I enjoy putting pictures and text together (memes) and am able to share these on social media, in e-mails, and text messages. God encouraged me this year by allowing me to see that my memes from last year are still being shared by others.
- Facebook is a tool that enables me to connect with my extended family members and friends. People often comment about how much they appreciate what I post.
- Four times a year, I edit a newsletter for foster, adoptive, and kinship families in northeastern Alberta. Through this work, I have had the opportunity to share my beliefs and what keeps me going through the tough times. When cuts were made, I was told that Child and Family Services was frantically looking for a way to save the newsletter. And they did!
- This year I have offered to help coach other writers. I'm enjoying this more intentional way of helping others get their God-given message out.
- My work as President of InScribe provides opportunities to network with many people. Several of them have expressed amazement at what our organization accomplishes through volunteers.
What about you? Has God been leading you down a different path? Let's trust Him to accomplish His purpose in and through us today and in the coming weeks and months. After all, He knows what each one of us needs, and He also knows what will best minister to the audience HE has called us to reach.