February 09, 2024

What's in a Name? by Joylene M Bailey

 




"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

This is Juliet's line while thinking about Romeo and his family's rivalry with her own. She is saying that a name is just a convention with no meaning behind it.

Really?

In light of the fact that Juliet is a mere inexperienced child when she utters this phrase, I will let it go. However, allow me to contradict Mr. Shakespeare.

Names are important. Think of all the Old Testament names with strong meanings. Here are a few:

Eve = To breathe; to live
Abraham = Father of many
Isaac = One who laughs or rejoices
Judah = Praise
Samuel = God has heard
David = Beloved
Benjamin's name was changed from Ben-Oni (Son of my Sorrow) to Benjamin (Son of my Days) ... that's how much importance a name carried.

All over the world, parents give their children names that are meaningful to them. Here are only a sampling:

African:
Onika = who is greater than God?
Azizi = precious one
Badru = born on a full moon

Japanese:
Manzo = third born son
Kikuko = chrysanthemum
Arine = one who is full of joy

Canadian Indigenous:
Gizhaate = it is sunny
Waaseyaa = first light from the rising sun
Nishiime = younger sister

Consider:
Martin Chuzzlewit, Ebenezer Scrooge, Oliver Twist
Hercule Poirot, Atticus Finch, Holly Golightly
Marilla Cuthbert, Huckleberry Finn, Forrest Gump
Long John Silver, Willy Wonka, Captain Jack Sparrow
Ichabod Crane, the Lady of Shalott, Pippi Longstocking
Eeyore

Don't these names conjure up stories and pictures for you?

I might be overstating the obvious, but all this to say ... names are important.
 
Memorable names.
Purposeful names.

Whether or not your readers know the significance, you do, and wouldn't you say that it enhances the way you write about them?

I've always been taken with names: their meanings, their histories, even their rhythms. In my current work in progress, a secondary character has the last name Beaufort. It means beautiful fortress, which is what this character is for my protagonist--a place of safety. My readers may not light upon this, but I know, and I believe it makes the character stronger. It even makes the writing of the character stronger. For me, the name of my character helps to give it depth. It plays into the purpose of the story and the message I'm trying to get across.

In the end, I think I must take back my contradiction of William Shakespeare, at least in part. For one thing, the meaning of Capulet (Juliet's family) is headstrong. I imagine the bard knew what he was doing when he gave names to his characters. Touché, sir!

***** 

Feature photo by Markus Winkler from Pixabay




Joy's parents named her on purpose and prayed from the time she was tiny that joy would be evident in her. Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, dear Joy, that names are important.
    Sometimes they're prophetic too.
    Loved this idea of taking care to choose appropriate names for characters so that it helps drive the story writing for the author's works-in-progress.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been fascinated with names, so I love this post, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle Strutzenberger12:36 pm GMT-7

    Your insights on names resonate with me. I also love the lists of names and meanings in other languages. Thanks Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this, Joy. What fun to read your name list of "Characters" from well known stories - all unforgettable and forever belonging to who they 'are'.

    I am tickled that your wise parents gave you such a lovely name - one that you could grow into and live up to all the days of your life. And you do it beautifully, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy! Another interesting post, my friend. From my Scottish background I know the meaning of names is important. Terry and I took a while to name our kids when they were born. The wait was worth it however. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exceptional post, Joy! Love exploring what names mean. It’s amazing how many people grow into their names. Thanks for this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful and thoughtful post, Joy!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.