February 06, 2024

N is for Nice (or Not!) by Susan Barclay

 

photo from Pixabay
 

Back in my dating years (and we won't get into how far back that was) my boyfriend's friend asked for my opinion on something.

"It was nice," I answered, smiling, clearly digging deep.

He raised an eyebrow. "Nice? What does that mean? 'Nice' doesn't tell me anything!" 

I don't remember if I managed to salvage my reputation as a word-savvy English major and Library Science student that evening, but I did learn my lesson: effective communication requires specific and meaningful language, not vague terminology. In the above interaction, I used 'nice' to convey 'pleasurable, agreeable,' and no matter which way you slice it, the listener learned nothing worthwhile. What made it pleasurable? What made it agreeable? What made it nice?

What word, phrase, or expression might I have used instead? I don't recall whether Mahil was asking about a movie, book, vacation, or weekend, but for argument's sake, let's say it was a meal. Rather than saying it was 'nice' or 'I enjoyed it,' given the opportunity of a do-over, I might reference the succulence of the steak, the creaminess of the mashed potatoes, the perfect combination of seasonings on the roasted vegetables, the decadence of the chocolate cake. I might comment on the ambience of the restaurant, the crisp white table linens, the style of dinner music playing in the background, the attentiveness of the servers. As you can see, my friend has the ability to learn a lot more about my experience when I dive into the details to paint a vivid picture.

As inspirational writers (or writers of any sort), we must avoid words that are vague and lacking in description and favour those that enrich. One way we can do this is to provide a sensory experience for the reader. Use sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste to make the scene come alive. God gave us all these wonderful senses and we ought not waste them!

Wonderful. Is there a better word I could have used to describe our senses? I await your thoughtful replies.

Repeat after me: no more 'nice'!! 

___________________________________

For more about Susan Barclay and her writing, please visit www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com.


 

8 comments:

  1. I, too, attempt to use a wider vocabulary. When I don't, it is generally because I am tired or in a hurry.

    As far as our "wonderful" senses, they are phenomenal at collecting data, which in turn helps us to form ideas or opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wonderful" advice about using strong adjectives.
    Thank you, dear Susan, for helping us "dig deep" with our word choices.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this susan. No more Mr. Nice Guy! (Or girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, in a simple way, please allow me to note the following. This post reminds me of why I love words and love to write. I pray words I offer are never vague or lack description. Warm thanks to you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words can convey so much meaning, or conversely, convey little or nothing. "Superb" advice about using our "marvelous" senses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Susan. Thinking I will have to make myself a poster as a reminder to expand and clarify meaning in my words using all my senses. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post, Susan. I have been having fun over recent years playing with my words, always aiming for the best choices that truly describe what I mean. You have given us some delectable food for thought with your piece. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiration, Susan, to write by giving our writing clarity and vigour by using our five senses and by being more specific with our vocabulary!!.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.