February 16, 2024

N is for Name by Lorilee Guenter


Psalm 147:4 He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.


When I was in university, my student number was my identifier. It is impersonal. In smaller classes we had the chance to interact through discussion and learned each other's names. The professors learned our name. We became seen. I've read that by naming a character, we signal to the reader that this person will be seen again. They are worth paying attention to. They are not just part of the crowd. Sometimes, I like to hide in the crowd. Crowds become lonely places if no one knows your name, if no one sees you. Our Good Shepherd calls us by name [John 10]. By knowing our name, He shows He values us. We are someone worth paying attention to.

Just as words have power, names have power. We receive names over time in a variety of ways. My parents named me Lorilee at birth. Over time, those who get to know me call me Lori. I've had nicknames, some that I liked, some that I am glad disappeared. My girls call me Mom. God calls me daughter. These are relational names. 

Sometimes, labels related to our character or actions become part of our identity, part of our name. When our internal dialogue moves from "I failed," to "I am a failure," we have added a label, a name to who we are. The label now colours actions and reactions. There are many ways we acquire these labels. Sometimes, we accept labels that are inaccurate such as the example I just used. Other times we hesitate to accept labels. We resist them, even when they are positive and true. Think about why it is often easier to say "I write" instead of "I am a writer." For some it is much easier to believe "I am unloved" than "I am valued." 

In writing, I give my characters names. I put them in situations where they face fears, failures and flaws. I make them wrestle with who they believe they are as they interact with other characters. In life, we wrestle with who we are as we face the joys and the trials of living. Through the story, my characters grow and change. I am part of God's story. As I grow into my identity in Christ, I let go of the old names and labels. I recognise the names he gives me: beloved, beautiful, chosen.

What names do you call yourself? Are they the same ones our Father calls us?

8 comments:

  1. I was struck by the subtle yet important difference between "I failed' and "I am a failure" and how labels can creep in so easily and start to define us. Thank you for this insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea Kidd9:49 am GMT-7

    Hello Lorilee! I love the way your name trips along merrily! And now you really have me pondering about names. I think I will write lots of names I call myself or others call me and then put a big X through some of them! Next I will think of all the names I could call God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this thoughtful post, dear Lori. Yes, what and who God calls us is what matters most. We are wise to believe God's banner over us.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie Ronald8:08 pm GMT-7

    Thank you for this meditation on the importance of names, Lorilee. These words of yours impacted me: "As I grow into my identity in Christ, I let go of the old names and labels. I recognize the names he gives me: beloved, beautiful, chosen." Our true names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Lorilee. I am so amazed at how people grew into their names in the Bible. In addition to those that have already designated quotations I include “Our Good Shepherd calls us by name [John 10]. By knowing our name, He shows He values us.” So humbling. Love how you relate it to characters in our stories. So much to unpack in this post. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your post about names, Lorilee. Our names are a subject important to every person from the time we are little. We want to be known by our name... and please don't misspell it or mispronounce it.

    I like this quote I came across a few years ago:
    "A name is the blueprint of the thing we call character.
    You ask, What's in a name?
    I answer, Just about everything you do."
    MORRIS MANDEL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorilee, you've got me thinking about names and labels, and the difference between them. Hmmm ... Thank you for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a former ESL teacher, I discovered how important names were--and how often my students' names were mixed up in the immigration process. How important it was for us to call them by their correct names, and to spell their names correctly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.