February 23, 2024

Noticing Nuances ~ Valerie Ronald

 



I keep this poem in my writing files to remind me to look for the nuances, subtle shades and depths in the commonplace with potential to blossom into inspiration.
 

Valentine for Ernest Mann       by Naomi Shihah Nye

You can’t order a poem like you order a taco.

Walk up to the counter, say, “I’ll take two”

And expect it to be handed back to you

on a shiny plate.

Still, I like your spirit.

Anyone who says, “Here’s my address,

write me a poem,” deserves something in reply.

So I’ll tell you a secret instead:

poems hide.    In the bottoms of our shoes,

they are sleeping.    They are the shadows

drifting across our ceilings the moment

before we wake up.    What we have to do

is live in a way that lets us find them.

Once I knew a man who gave his wife

two skunks for a valentine.

He couldn’t understand why she was crying.

“I thought they had such beautiful eyes,”

And he was serious.    He was a serious man

who lived in a serious way.    Nothing was ugly

just because the world said so. He really

liked
those skunks.   So, he re-invented them

as valentines and they became beautiful.

At least, to him.    And the poems that had been

    hiding

in the eyes of skunks for centuries

crawled out and curled up at his feet.

Maybe if we re-invent whatever our lives give us

we find poems.    Check your garage, the odd

    sock

in your drawer, the person you almost like, but

not quite.

And let me know.

   ***
I think this poem is telling us something we all know as writers. Our readers may think writing ideas come from the fascinating and adventurous lives of writers but few of us lead such lives. The truth is, we as writers have a certain way of looking at the world around and within us, seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary ˗˗ a story behind the mundane. As the poem says, what we have to do is live in a way that lets us find them. By looking for subtle nuances in small, everyday circumstances and scenarios we find ideas to fill volumes.

What this poem doesn’t tell us is that as writers who are Christians, we have a Divine Inspirer. God is the Master Creator. Everything in this vast universe came from His infinite mind and hand. Being made in His image, we have a small share in that creativity. We have unlimited resources for writing ideas everywhere we look, but how we look is inspired by our heavenly Father.

I will give you hidden treasures and wealth tucked away in secret places; I will reveal them to you. Then you will know that I am the Eternal, the God of Israel, who calls you by name. (Isa. 45:3 The Voice)  

I have found that going to the Revealer, asking Him to make known what He would have me write, eventually results in what I call a shining moment ˗˗ that moment when I see something in a new way, when the seed of an idea blooms suddenly in my mind and I can’t wait to develop it in writing. He never fails me.

Writing is a shy craft. Ideas flit through our heads at the oddest moments, in the strangest places, waking us from a sound sleep in the middle of the night, requiring a notebook close by for us to capture random inspirations for possible writing projects. That surge of adrenaline when an idea hits is God speaking, telling us, “Here! I am revealing to you the wealth tucked away in secret places! Be aware of the nuances here, with subtle shades of meaning and depth. Write it down and use it well, My child.”

Keep looking for the poems hiding in the eyes of skunks, waiting to curl up at your feet. 

    

Valerie Ronald writes from an old roll top desk in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, with her tortoiseshell cat for a muse. A graduate of Langara College School of Journalism, she writes devotionals, fiction and inspirational prose. Her purpose in writing is to encourage others to grow in their spiritual walk.

 


22 comments:

  1. Michelle Strutzenberger8:29 am GMT-7

    Love this! Thank you for the reminder that writing is a shy craft. Sometimes, I feel driven to go and "order a poem" or some other piece of inspiration. Yet, it is so true that poems, and, I would say, other inspired words, "hide." The key, as you write, is to both "live in a way that lets us find them," and to ask God for His inspiration. I also find this relieves some of the pressure of churning out creative works no matter how dry we may feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald2:17 pm GMT-7

      Thanks for commenting, Michelle. There is a tension between writing when inspired and writing on demand. I think it is acceptable to ask God for creative ideas for both, and "live in a way that lets us find them."

      Delete
  2. Hello Valerie. I love this sentence - “By looking for subtle nuances in small, everyday circumstances and scenarios we find ideas to fill volumes.“ How true. I have shared the experience of “going to the Revealer and having “shining moments.” They never cease to amaze me and leave me in wonder with words to write but not to speak. Also love the poem which also speaks volumes. Thank you for this wonderful post and may God bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald2:20 pm GMT-7

      Hello Sharon. I love your reaction to shining moments -- "they never cease to amaze me and leave me in wonder with words to write but not to speak." I wonder, is that a marker of a true writer, when we can write those intense moments yet can't express them audibly? Hmm.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, dear Valerie, for this beautiful inspiration to notice nuances. Isaiah 45:3 is the perfect verse for nudging us to seek the treasure of God's guidance for our writing.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gift of God's guidance as we write is truly a treasure, Wendy. Those "hidden treasures and wealth tucked away in secret places" will never run out as long as we seek Him.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do love this post, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald2:26 pm GMT-7

      Thank you, Tracy! Your enthusiasm is encouraging.

      Delete
  5. I love the poem you shared. Thank you, Valerie. Yes, I'll be looking for poems in the eyes of skunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Joy! The humor and inspiration in the poem makes it memorable.

      Delete
  6. I love the poem, Valerie. And the encouragement to look for inspiration everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald2:30 pm GMT-7

      Thanks for commenting, Lorrie. Seeing life through writer's eyes is wonderful but also distracting. Ask my husband when he's preaching and he sees that glassy-eyed stare on his wife's face.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:09 am GMT-7

    I really like that poem, including what you wrote. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lon. I like to re-read the poem once in while to remind me to live in a way that lets me find those hidden moments of inspiration.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:17 pm GMT-7

    This is a really unusual post and I like it a lot, thank you so much for making us see things through different eyes,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the post. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Valerie, Thank you for this post! I enjoyed it so much. I do love Naomi's poetry. And this one is now another one to add to my favourite list. I especially love this line of hers: "Maybe if we re-invent whatever our lives give us / we find poems".

    I enjoyed reading your own thoughts. . . my heart resonates with these lines you wrote: "The truth is, we as writers have a certain way of looking at the world around and within us, seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary ˗˗ a story behind the mundane. As the poem says, what we have to do is live in a way that lets us find them. By looking for subtle nuances in small, everyday circumstances and scenarios we find ideas to fill volumes." Live in a way that lets us find them. Oh yes, let's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! Your comment sent me searching for more of Naomi's poetry, which I will take the time to read soon. "Living in a way that lets us find them" is more about seeing things through our unique writerly eyes, each of us with a different perspective.

      Delete
  10. Martina Keast7:48 am GMT-7

    What an inspiring post. I am so glad I stopped scrolling to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Martina! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post, Valerie! I love it! There are so many nuggets here, but especially these: "By looking for subtle nuances in small, everyday circumstances and scenarios we find ideas to fill volumes," and the paragraph that includes, "going to the Revealer, asking Him to make known what He would have me write, eventually results in what I call a shining moment."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valerie Ronald2:41 pm GMT-7

    I appreciate your comment, Sandi. I can't put a finger on how God gives me the inspiration I need for each writing project; I just know that when I ask Him in prayer, He is always faithful to gift me with the right idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.