February 14, 2024

Nothing by Sharon Heagy

 

Satellite train over our farm

            Nothing. I am going to regale my writing community with nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Bupkis. So many words to describe nothing. Huh, isn’t that something.

            Many a Mom and Dad know all about nothing. It is the answer to every question. What did you do at school today? Nothing. What are you kids doing in there?! Nothing. Yes, I know so and so did that to you but what did you do? Nothing.

            Sometimes when we need a day to decompress and unwind we say we are going to do ‘nothing.’ But isn’t resting doing something?

            There is a place in space called the Boötes Void which it is more commonly known as the Great Nothing. It is a spherical region of space found in the vicinity of the constellation Boötes and contains very few galaxies. But since it contains some, is it really nothing?

            Early Greek philosophers and modern Physicists have debated and explored the concept of nothingness with most agreeing that it is impossible for nothing to exist. Before the creation of the universe and the world as we know it, there was God. He has always existed. Has there ever been nothing?

            For the writer the word nothing is exceptional in its versatility. It can be used as a pronoun, noun, plural noun, adjective and adverb. Wow! Nothing really packs a punch.

            But for the writer called by God it becomes a goal that comes with emptying. It is what we are to become and what we are to have. Nothing in ourselves so that He might flow through us. His words flowing through our minds, down our arms, through our hands to the paper.

            When we strive without Him we are like the four fishing disciples who fished all night and caught nothing. But when we surrender our writing nets to Him they become full to overflowing. Divine inspiration floods our being and there is a stirring that cannot be denied or satisfied until it becomes written word. 

            John the Baptist is quoted in John 3 as saying, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven……. He must become greater; I must become less.” What wisdom for us as writers of faith. This means the words we write are sacred as we are receiving them from heaven. When I read that passage as I researched for this post, it took my breath away and filled me with humble and heartfelt thanksgiving. Indeed, He must become greater, we must become less. 

            The chorus to the song Nobody by Casting Crowns has these words:

 

“I’m just a nobody

Trying to tell everybody

All about somebody who saved my soul

Ever since you rescued me

You gave my heart a song to sing.

I’m living for the world to see

Nobody but Jesus.”

 

            Maybe we could tweak those last couple of lines a bit and sing “I’m writing for the world to see nobody but Jesus.” 

            It’s a process and a journey but day by day He’ll get us there as we get out of our way and into His way. 

            Hope your day is blessed and thanks for sharing a few minutes with me.

22 comments:

  1. These are wonderful words for faith writers to heed:"I'm writing for the world to see nobody but Jesus."
    Thank you, dear Sharon, for making us smile widely and think deeply.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to you, Wendy, for your kind and encouraging words.

      Delete
  2. Valerie Ronald10:10 am GMT-7

    Thank you for this profound post, Sharon. Your progression from humor about "nothing", to the impossibility of nothingness in light of God's eternal existence, leads well into the surrender of ourselves to Him in our writing. This sentence carried impact for me, " Divine inspiration floods our being and there is a stirring that cannot be denied or satisfied until it becomes written word." A line from the hymn Rock of Ages, came to mind. "Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Wonderful line from a wonderful hymn.

      Delete
  3. Once again you've hit the nail right square on the head! What a powerful post, Sharon. It is eloquent, witty, and thought provoking. (Consider using it as part of your new column if you think it fits.) I love your writing style! You should gather them someday into a collection. I'd be first in line to buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy, for your effervescent encouragement. It keeps me going. Hope your back is feeling better. Holding you in prayer. Blessings on your week.

      Delete
  4. Love this! My Bible reading today was that very passage from
    John. “He must become
    Greater. I must become less”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. Good to hear from you and I hope you and your family are well.

      Delete
  5. Amen, Sharon! Like our lives goes our writing. "It’s a process and a journey but day by day He’ll get us there as we get out of our way and into His way."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. “Like our lives goes our writing” - so true. Love that line and I’m going to write that down in my quotation scribbler. Hope you have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth Danna10:33 am GMT-7

    Thanks for the reminder/challenge, Sharon. If our words don't come from Him, they mean...nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. It’s a reminder I often have to give myself but I find it helps.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post, Sharon--as always!! Along with the quotes others have mentioned above, I add this one, "Nothing in ourselves so that He might flow through us. His words flowing through our minds, down our arms, through our hands to the paper." Thanks, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi, for your constant and loving support. Hope your devotionals are going well!.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Sharon, for the reminder that "He must become greater; I must become less". I'm teaching this verse to my grade 4/5 Sunday School class this week. A great preparation for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that’s kinda cool. Thanks, Lorrie. Always wonderful to read your kind words.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:32 am GMT-7

    Just the right word for today,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle Strutzenberger2:31 pm GMT-7

    Thanks Sharon! Love this: "But when we surrender our writing nets to Him they become full to overflowing." I have to keep remembering to surrender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

      Delete
  11. This Nothing post is thrillingly filled with lots of Somethings. I love how you drew us into your post. It was a joy to read, Sharon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read it and for your kind and encouraging words, Brenda.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.