February 28, 2024

"Not my circus! Not my monkeys!" by Mary Folkerts

 



My friend used this phrase the other day, which echoes our often-held sentiments. "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"

 

In other words, "Not my problem. Don't bother me with the details!"


Sometimes, that's a good attitude to have when a situation doesn't concern me and my involvement won't improve it. 


But not always.


I wonder if we sometimes use this thinking as an excuse not to become involved in difficult circumstances. The problem may seem too large, and my efforts too small to make a difference. What can my "drop in the bucket" help do to change anything? It's easy to want to live a quiet life, mind my own monkeys and not make any waves in the water, but if God calls us to "seek justice and to love mercy," it might mean getting involved and speaking up for those who can't. 


I'm not suggesting we all become political and begin some "fight for justice" campaign, but we all see little injustices within our circles of influence that we can speak out against. We all experience areas of struggle that, if we are vulnerable about, could potentially help someone else in their struggle. Our vulnerability might help someone learn how to wrangle their own monkeys! 


One thing is clear. We can't live our lives unaffected by those around us. Preoccupation with our own struggles, concerns, and problems shrinks our world inward, but when we open our hearts to others' needs, we find blessings beyond measure. 


As writers, we have the opportunity to call attention to situations even if they don't directly affect us. Advocating for those who don't have a voice means it's sometimes necessary to get involved in circuses, not our own. Our small words can have a powerfully positive impact on someone else's life.


"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8 (ESV).




Mary Folkerts is mom to four kids and wife to a farmer, living on the southern prairies of Alberta, where the skies are large and the sunsets stunning. She is a Proverbs 31 ministries COMPEL Writers Training member and is involved in church ministries and music. Mary’s personal blog aims to encourage and inspire women and advocate for those with Down Syndrome, as their youngest child introduced them to this extraordinary new world. For more inspiration, check out Joy in the small things
 https://maryfolkerts.com/  or connect on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/maryfolkerts/ 


8 comments:

  1. Amen to these words of yours, dear Mary: "Our vulnerability might help someone learn how to wrangle their own monkeys!"
    Thank you for this powerful post. Well done.
    My favorite reads are ones that make me feel less alone. One person's generous vulnerability can bless thousands.
    Writers can do this with fiction or nonfiction. Sometimes a character's "small words can have a powerfully positive impact on someone else's life."
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You’re right about feeling seen through other people’s sharing - fiction and nonfiction! On that note have you ever read Sharon Garlough Brown’s “sensible shoes” series? So good and I feel that this is what she does through fiction!💞

      Delete
  2. Thank you for these words of exhortation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! My exhortations are always aimed at my own life as well! I preach to myself!😁

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Mary, for reminding us if we care for one another and follow God we will, at some point, need to join the circus. Love that you encourage us to speak for those who have no voice. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:33 am GMT-7

    What interesting take on this and really I’m grateful I’ve heard it so often the same phrase. Meaning I’m not doing anything about it and it’s not your problem either but here you made a difference for us. Thank you Brenda Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle Strutzenberger4:26 am GMT-7

    I love this, Mary! Sometimes we do need to run away and join the circus, so to speak, not to seek adventure and glory, but to be a voice for others out of obedience to the Lord. I will be mulling over this further and how I need to apply it in my own life. I certainly have opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding us to be a voice for those who need our support and encouragement, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.