February 22, 2024

Nature Writing by Lorrie Orr

 


I would argue that every story written contains something of the natural world. It is within the setting of nature that we live our lives. Nature affects much of humankind's actions throughout millennia. The houses we build, the clothes we wear, the food we eat - all are a product of and a response to the created world - nature. 

Nature writing is a sub-genre of creative non-fiction that seems to be growing in popularity. It is not scientific writing, although elements of scientific observation are a useful tool. It is also not completely poetic and personal, rather it bridges these two types of writing to, as one writer puts it "take our world and make it sing." 

Including elements of nature in our writing allows readers to enter into the world we are laying out for them and make connections to our work, and to the world they live in. How many have gotten up to put on a sweater or make a cup of tea when reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder? I know that I have. 

John Muir, an early Nature writer, wrote that nature gives "a glimpse of the mind of God." In the natural world we see abundance, diversity, constancy, and hope - all aspects of God's character. The earth spins on its axis, the seasons change, and flowers bloom because of God's constancy, even in our broken world. He is faithful.

Biblical nature metaphors abound - from "the storehouses of the snow" in Job to God portrayed as an eagle that "hovers over its young" in Deuteronomy. In life, metaphors of rivers often indicate the passing of time, and we use tidal language of ebb and flow for life's seasons. 

Every writer, not just a Nature Writer, benefits from including elements of creation in her work. We can draw inspiration out of our surroundings to highlight emotional responses from our readers. A murder taking place on a dark and stormy night is perhaps trite; a murder taking place on a sun-filled afternoon in the garden provides striking contrast.

Writing about nature requires us to be observant and, as Mary Oliver says, to "pay attention." I find that in my personal journals I often begin writing by describing what's going on outside my window. There's a balance between overly flowery language and mere facts. It's good practice for me. 

A few of my favourite writers who use elements of nature writing include Mary Oliver, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Annie Dillard, Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre), Gladys Taber, Raynor Winn, and Celia Thaxter. 



Lorrie Orr writes from Vancouver Island where she and her husband love exploring the beautiful and astounding world God created. 



 

15 comments:

  1. This is definitely a skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And such an enjoyable one to develop!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Lorrie, I am in total agreement with this but have never really thought about it before. How would it be possible to be created by God and not include the rest of His creation in our writing - knowingly or unknowingly. Thanks for getting the hamster running in my brain this morning. Hoping you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. Creation is "full of God's grandeur", as Hopkins wrote.

      Delete
  3. I love this, dear Lorrie. Nature displays so much of God's nature.
    Art can't help but show us the artist.
    Blessings.
    PS
    Someone asked me what my favorite hymn was. The first one that always comes to mind is the first one I taught my children: https://youtu.be/NwqTvmpnKeE?si=mrKAMccO9cx2IFJ5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if we want to know the artist, look at the art!

      Delete
  4. Oh this resonates with me! I love how you used the example of “the long winter” and having a tea and a blanket. Makes so much sense! Love it!😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post, Lorrie! You have included some of my favourite 'nature' writers. Celia Thaxter is a gem. I would also include L.M. Montgomery - she was the one who first inspired me as a young person to look more closely at the world around me and describe it in my writing. UK author Melissa Harrison writes with knowledge and an eye for details of the natural world around her. She is the editor of four anthologies that are favourite seasonal reads of mine (Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn). And I mustn't forget Edith Holden and her well known book The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.

    Like you, some of my first thoughts in my journal writing often includes what's stirring outside my window. It gives joy to the morning.

    Thanks, Lorrie!

    PS. I think I wanted my winter parka when I read Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. Definitely L. M. Montgomery! I've not read Melissa Harrison, but have her on my list of want-to-reads. And would you believe I've never read Edith Holden's book although I've heard much about it.

      Delete
  6. A wonderful piece of writing, Lorrie! I have to say especially when I was younger I was captivated by the writing of Jack London. I admit to be in love with nature as it changes with the seasons. I love how, if we let them, trees, grass, flowers, and birds will guide our pens as we write. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. Yes, in love with nature - that's a great way to put it. Me, too!

      Delete
  7. This: "In the natural world we see abundance, diversity, constancy, and hope - all aspects of God's character." I totally agree.

    I've begun doing a lot of nature reading this last year, and I find it so calming and inspiring. Like you, I often begin my journal entries with what's going on outside my window. Even more so now that we've moved to the country. Nature is such a blessing, and we must take the time to observe, enjoy, and write about it.

    Thank you for this wonderful piece of writing, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature reading is very calming and inspiring, Joy, and I find it encourages me to observe more and to consider the marvels in this world. I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this prompt, Lorrie. Nature reading for me came as a young child when I read the Thornton Wilder books. From there, many more come to mind. It's true nature inspires, soothes, and brings us closer to God. No wonder a number of writers have said that Nature/Creation is God's second book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.