December 28, 2023

Lean into the waiting by Mary Folkerts

 



I should know by now that nothing beautiful comes without spending time in life's waiting room, but that doesn't mean I have learned to enjoy the wait.

We live in a world of instant gratification, instant meals, instant pots, instant facelifts, diets that work within a week (or we quit), and wifi that needs to be lightning-quick (or we complain). 


And yet, we know that good things take time. When the sun warms the earth in early spring, and green shoots burst forth in all their glory, I plant my tender seedlings in freshly tilled ground. I water and fertilize, dig out unwanted weeds, and carefully tend the transplants. And then I wait, for I know better than to expect a flower the next day.



We have come to despise the wait when, in actuality, it's in life's waiting rooms that most of our growth occurs.



I have been a new mom four times in my life, and each time we found out a baby was on its way, we knew that we had nine months to anticipate the child's arrival. The child needed that time to grow and develop in utero, and as parents, we needed that time to mentally prepare ourselves for the child's arrival. None of the nine months were wasted, even though the wait was sometimes difficult.


One of my most challenging times of waiting was as a single girl, waiting for "Mr. Right." I had my share of false starts and stops that left me feeling unworthy, uncertain and anxious that I would ever find someone to share my life with. But even this waiting had a purpose.


Waiting has become more complicated in this fast-paced world. We have come to despise the wait when, in actuality, it's in life's waiting rooms that most of our growth occurs.


Hindsight brings perspective, and often, we realize what we learned after our waiting period has seen its fulfillment. As writers, it's these times that become our inspiration. "Here's how I grew in the wait. This is what I learned–".



Could we lean into the uncertainty that waiting brings and write from the position of certainty that our faith in God provides? 



You may be looking at the new year ahead of you from the vantage point of a waiting room. So far, you see no good resolution, no light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. How could we learn to wait better, and could our waiting itself become a witness to the world? Could we write about the waiting, in the waiting?


The phrase "lean into" has become popular in the last decade. The dictionary defines it as "persevering in spite of risk or difficulty." Could we lean into the uncertainty that waiting brings and write from the position of certainty that our faith in God provides? 


And here's where we come to the heart of the matter. Are we waiting for God to resolve our struggle, or are we waiting on the Lord? Writing about hope and faith in God while in a posture of waiting takes faith in God itself. Trusting not in the outcome but in His faithfulness.


" If you throw us into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from the furnace. He will save us from your power, O king. But even if God does not save us, we want you, O king, to know this: We will not serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up."

Daniel 3:17-18 NCV




Mary Folkerts is mom to four kids and wife to a farmer, living on the southern prairies of Alberta, where the skies are large and the sunsets stunning. She is a Proverbs 31 ministries COMPEL Writers Training member and is involved in church ministries and music. Mary’s personal blog aims to encourage and inspire women and advocate for those with Down Syndrome, as their youngest child introduced them to this extraordinary new world. For more inspiration, check out Joy in the Small Things https://maryfolkerts.com/  






13 comments:

  1. Wonderful and thoughtful post, dear Mary. Amen to these words of yours: "Are we waiting for God to resolve our struggle, or are we waiting on the Lord?"

    Many times I've thought that "wait" is God's favourite word for me. Not that I favoured it. But I'm slow-but-sure learning that leaning into the wait means we can lean into a deeper relationship with our Father. He's too good to allow us to bypass His love in favour of His gifts.

    There's no other place I'd rather be than waiting with Him and for Him.
    Blessings for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your comment it had me thinking that maybe “wait” is to be my word for 2024! Waiting on God, trusting his faithfulness and provision instead of worry. Which “w” will I choose? Even though “w” is not the letter of the month lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail Neumann11:29 am GMT-7

    Thank you, Mary, for your wisdom and encouragement to find jewels in the waiting. You comment, "Could we lean into the uncertainty that waiting brings and write from the position of certainty that our faith in God provides? " sums it all up. Write on writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Gail. I believe God is using the “wait” in my life to deal with my “control” issues. Trust!!

      Delete
  4. A simple but profound difference: "Are we waiting for God to resolve our struggle, or are we waiting on the Lord?" Do I have permission to quote you? This is meme worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Tracy! It’s an ongoing struggle for me to just wait on Him. I want Him to resolve it but I guess that’s where I need to trust his faithfulness! And can I still write in the middle before the resolution comes?😏

      Delete
  5. Michelle Strutzenberger12:36 pm GMT-7

    Thank you for this encouraging post, Mary. I shared some of your thoughts with a young friend who is in the waiting room of singleness. I think she will be helped by your honesty about the anxiety and unworthiness you felt in that time, feelings she can relate to. I also love your encouragement to find a way to be a witness even in our periods of waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so thankful that you could share my words with a friend! It can be a hard time of waiting for sure!

      Delete
  6. Hello Mary! The latter part of 2022 and all of 2023, has found me in "life's waiting room." Waiting for an answer to a frustrating health challenge has tried my resolve but not my faith in God. I maintained much of my writing, including our InScribe blog posts, but an answer would be welcome. I enter 2024, still on the "waiting list," accompanied by hope. Thank you for this word of loveliness you blessed us with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Allen! Blessings and prayers that resolutions come for you soon! I find that even our trust in Gods faithfulness is a gift from Him! Blessings as you continue to write while you wait!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this thought filled post. How wonderful is the waiting when we cease to struggle. But not easy. Thanks for the reminder to turn our heads and to rest and wait in Him. Love this rich post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Sharon! Yes giving over control and ceasing the struggle is definitely an act of trust!

      Delete
  8. Waiting is one of God's major training grounds for us. Just this morning my devotional reading included from Isaiah 55, "My ways are higher than your ways." God plans a ministry of waiting for us, to get to know Him better, to understand that He has the answer in His own time, sometimes much greater than we had hoped at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.