December 07, 2023

L is for Lectio Divina: Show and Tell ~ Guest Post by Martina Keast

 What is Lectio Divina Reading?

Lectio Divina, which can be translated as divine, spiritual, or holy reading, has been practiced by Catholic monks since 220 AD. The practice of lectio divina was revived in 1965 with the publication of Dei Verbum by the Vatican II Council. [1]

Four steps: Listen carefully for a word or phrase that speaks to you..

Meditatio– Reflecting on the passage and thinking about how it applies to one’s life. The practitioner pays special attention to feelings that arise and how God speaks.

Oratio– Responding to the passage by praying and opening the heart to God. This is seen as the beginning of a conversation with God. Some practitioners of lectio divina keep a journal to record their prayers to God and God’s messages to them.

Contemplatio– Contemplating all that was learned. This step involves sitting in silence, resting in God’s presence, and experiencing union with Christ.

Actio, or action. Having received God’s love, the practitioner is to serve others in love.

In the first example, I will use Psalm 138 and Psalm 119:105-120 to demonstrate. [1]

For the second example, I will use 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 and 1 Corinthians 12: 31b, 13:1-13. [2]

What are the various stages?

·         The stages I am using are Reverence, Read, Ruminate, Reflect, Rest, and Respond

·         The Ignatian Method:

1.      Begin: Consider how God looks upon you in love; become aware that you are in God’s presence.

2.      Prepare: Offer God your will and actions, especially during this time of reflection. As God for specific grace that you sense you need currently (peace, strength, hope, wisdom, etc.

3.      Contemplate the biblical story:

a.       Read the text slowly and carefully; recall what it is about; then let it come alive for you!

b.      Place yourself inside the story, using your imagination; become one of the characters in the scene.

c.       Participate in the dynamics of the scene, dialoguing and interacting with Jesus and other characters.

d.      Observe what is happening around you in the scene: What do you see, hear, feel, smell, taste, or touch?

e.       Dialogue with the other characters: What do they say or ask you? What do you say to ask them in reply?

f.        Notice what is happening inside you as you pray: joy, sorrow, peace, confusion, love, anger, etc.?

g.      If you get distracted or your mind wanders, gently return to the biblical text and re-enter the scene.

4.      Converse: Enter into a short personal conversation with Jesus (or God the Father or the Holy Spirit), speak heart-to-heart, as if conversing with a close friend.

5.      Conclude in prayer. Afterward, briefly review what you experienced during this time of prayer. You may wish to journal about what happened.


How to read the Bible this way?

Reverence: I may light a candle, kneel, clasp my hands, and ensure that I am inwardly centred before I pray to God.

After centring, I prayed that God would reveal related words and speak to me through them.

Read the Scripture three times, with breaks in between.

Sometimes I read the Scripture section more than three times. I may also consult a lectionary, commentaries, and other Bible versions. The following verses jumped out at me during my readings.

Psalm 138: is a Psalm of declarative praise.

3. In the day when I cry out, You answered me and made me bold with strength in my soul.

7. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The Lord will perfect that which concerns me. Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever, do not forsake the works of Your hands.

Two statements caught my attention.

  1. Made me bold with strength in my soul.
  2. The Lord will perfect that which concerns me.

Psalm 119: 105-120

These verses from the 119 reading spoke to me.

114 You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word.

116 Uphold me according to Your word that I may live, and do not let me be ashamed of my hope. Hold me up, and I shall be safe.

Ruminate: I allow time to pass by going for a walk, cooking meals, doing dishes, doing the laundry, or I pray.

Reflect: Lord, make me bold with strength in my soul. You will perfect that which concerns me.

You are my hiding place and my shield. I hope in Your word. Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live; do not let me be ashamed of my hope. Hold me up, and I shall be safe.

Lord, I seek You with my whole heart. Oh, that my ways are directed to keep Your statutes.

Rest: After resting, My vision statement for 2018. 

God, make me bold with strength in my soul.

Perfect that which concerns me.

Be my hiding place and my shield.

I hope in you alone.

Hold me up, so I shall be safe.

For in all these things, I am more than a conqueror through Him who loved us.

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life,

Nor angels nor principalities nor powers

Nor things present nor things to come.

Nor height nor depth

Nor any other created things,

Shall be able to separate me from the love of God.

Which is in Christ Jesus, my Lord.

 

Respond: I am utterly amazed by what You, God, tell me through Your word. If You are going to make me bold, I will face challenges. I will meet these challenges. I will live. As I direct my ways by Your statutes and seek You wholeheartedly, You will be my hiding place, my shield.

Lectio Divina 2[3]

1 Corinthians 12:12-27; 1 Corinthians 12: 31b, 13:1-13

Reverence:

First reading, I prayed for Brian and me that God would reveal related words and speak to us through them.

Second reading, I thanked God that He brought Brian and me together. I thanked Him for these times that we can study the Word and share our experiences. We are getting closer, experiencing a more profound love for each other and the Lord.

Third reading and so on, I thanked God for being in our lives and willing to change us from the inside out. I also asked Him for wisdom, pictures, words, and phrases that will help us understand the message He has for us through this study.

Read the Scripture three times, with breaks in between.

Sometimes I read the Scripture section more often. I may also consult a lectionary, commentaries, and other Bible versions.

The following verses jumped out at me during my first reading.

Slave or free; one Spirit to drink; the body of many; Placed the parts in the body; every one of them; where He wanted them to be. The weaker are indispensable, giving greater honour to the parts that lacked it; equal concern for each other. Each one of you is part of it, in the most excellent way. Do not have love? I am nothing. Do not have love? I gain nothing. It is not self-seeking but rejoices with the truth; Love never fails; completeness comes; I am fully known.

The following verses jumped out at me during my second reading.

Do not have love? I am nothing. Do not have love? I gain nothing. If I don’t drink from the one Spirit, God’s love is not flowing through me.

There was a great division in my person; I did not realize that my weaker parts were indispensable. For example, I did not honour myself when I had mental and emotional breakdowns. I needed others to do so. People prayed for me, offered ministry opportunities, and supported me by having spiritual conversations with me. Most of all, God was always present.

The most excellent way is to treat my unrepresentable with special modesty, honouring them.

I learned to accept love when I received the prophetic word to use Sloan and Esther in my book: The Dwelling Place: Reflections on my journey toward spiritual wholeness.

As I typed up their spiritual, loving conversations, I opened up for that remarkable man, my future husband. Jesus had been promising me that he was coming.

Completeness comes, as I am fully known. I am getting to know my physical part and my spiritual part. I find this journey exciting and life-giving.

The following verses jumped out at me during my third reading.

I feel like I don’t belong to a particular denominational body due to the hurts I experienced—despite emotional wounds, I still belong. I still belong if I say I don’t belong because I am upset, angry, or jealous. The Spirit will never let me go unless I blaspheme Him, and then Jesus will intervene.

Ruminate: I spent time dog-sitting for my daughter. I also spent time with my grandsons. I typed out the results from the last reading. Remember to have unconditional positive regard while working on your Lectio Divina reflection and stay focused on God.

The question what is it? The connection between the many parts.

Reflect: Reading over the words from the last readings. Continue taking notes, as I know there is a process God is taking me through.

Rest:

First painting. My transformation since the first time I attended Vocabulary of the Soul.

#1 

In 2016, my heart was dark, and so were the words that came from my mouth. I experienced the love of the Lord and the heavenly creative stream released.

My heart is filled with love, and many of my words are filled with love. The creative stream releases came in words, music, and creative pieces. I now write books and blogs and create online courses.   

#2 

Julie’s response: I saw dark and light, pain and joy, and the idea of growth. I did an explosion of light and life; the tree represents growth.

Second Painting:


#3

I am painfully aware of the gongs in my life—the crashing cymbals.

As mentioned above, there have been more responses with love. I smile more, and joy even flows through my eyes. I have forgiven much, and I have been forgiven even more. The olive branch connects the gong/clanging side and the love side of my soul. The purple flow is the influence of the Holy Spirit. Hope and Faith are never far away, but the greatest is Love. 


[1] Actual Experience December 2017.

Declaration of praise to God, because of an overwhelming answer to the prayer of the king (vv. 1-3)

A prophetic vision of a future time in which all kings of the earth will join in praise to God (vv. 4-6)

A determination to continually trust in God (vv. 7,8)

[2] In preparation for Art and Faith Retreat: Vocabulary of the Soul: Kingsfold Retreat and Renewal Center, Cochrane Alberta. June 2023. https://juliedrew-artandfaith.com/art-vocab

[3] June 2023 Scripture passages: 1 Corinthians 12:12-27; 1 Corinthians 12: 31b, 13:1-13. Assigned theme: Connections: Building Bridges; Assigned Phrase: extend an olive branch.

[4] Sam Drew. Friday night at the Art and Faith Retreat. Listening, unconditional positive regard, and the process. 



[1] Lectio Divina. https://www.gotquestions.org/lectio-divina.html


Martina Keast: Author, Artist, Expressive Art Practitioner, Online Course Creator. 


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this detailed walk through your methodology of studying God's word. There is a lot of food for thought here! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Martina. The use of Lectio Divina seems to be increasing in many Christian circles. What a wonderful way to slow down and meditate on scripture and all the blessings that result from that process in our relationship with God. It’s something for which I have developed a curiosity and look forward to giving it a try. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart thrilled at these words of yours: "Listen carefully for a word or phrase that speaks to you."
    This is my passion each morning as I read the Word with my journal open beside me.
    Thank you, dear Martina, for encouraging us to take time to listen to what God wants to say to us. His love is always worth the extra time to receive so that we may grow and give.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Martina, for sharing from your heart what and how the Lord is speaking to you through your quiet times. Your process is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to arrive at your vision statement for the year! Thank you for demonstrating that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.