December 12, 2023

Labyrinth ~ Guest Post by Gail Neumann


 

In the quiet of autumn, while walking on the seashore, I looked for the Lord. His presence was so evident in His creation. My heart was heavy with concern for dear ones lost to rebellion and sin. I listened to the gulls and waves and felt the brisk breeze on my face. As I stepped through the crunching pebbles and soft sand I thanked Him, one by one, for the many beautiful things I observed. I noticed the sun breaking through the clouds, bleached driftwood logs resting high on the shore offering me a place to stop and contemplate. I sat and lifted my loved ones up to His throne. Then I left them in His care. 

As walked further I thanked God for His ultimate control of things out of my reach. I thanked Him for his gifts in this place where the pink shells and dried seaweed gathered at the high tide mark, the sun glinted on whitecaps, and gulls rode the waves. I sighed and enjoyed this gift of place.

Half an hour down the beach I found a simple labyrinth of large rocks placed above the tide line. Curious, I stepped into the path to follow the spiral toward the centre. As I walked, I continued to enjoy my observations and offer thanks and prayers. I watched as a kingfisher rattled a war cry and dove into the waves. It flew back to its lookout with a tiny silver fish, tilted its head, and swallowed the morsel whole. The path turned and I found myself looking back down the beach where two small children played on the shore and popped rockweed bladders. Their laughter was muffled by the wind. 

I turned again toward an exposed spit that pointed a rocky finger out to sea. It hooked back to protect a shallow pool of seawater. It had become a playground for a dog fetching sticks as his master enjoyed the shore. 

Then I turned and looked out to sea again as a boat with brilliant white sails caught the sun and the whitecaps glistened. Soon, I turned again to notice a reddish arbutus leaning over the pockmarked sandstone boulders high above the shore. 

Everything changed as I orbited the centre and observed the beach from different angles. I found sights I hadn’t noticed as I walked straight along the beach. It made me ponder the value of seeking different perspectives in other parts of my life.

The voices of others, who may have different points of view, coupled with my own, may reveal a more authentic truth. There is value in treating others as counselors rather than competition or opposition. 

I will always aim to keep God on the throne of my life but by allowing others to share their thoughts, I will have more varied perspectives, and more knowledge to make better decisions. 

What happens to my loved ones may never be in my control but God gives me beautiful moments and cares for me, and for them. He is the one who sees me from every angle. He creates beauty to soothe my soul.


Proverbs 15:22 Amplified Bible

Without consultation and wise advice, plans are frustrated,

but with many counsellors they are established and succeed.




Gail lives on the West Coast of, British Columbia. Her writing has appeared regularly in local publications. She loves swimming, hiking, and being out in nature. Multiple journals filled with daily prayers and responses are her passion. She has more writing projects on the go than she can ever seem to finish

10 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the whimsical picture of you in the picture frame! I also really appreciate the thought that it is good to take the time to see things from different perspectives and the insight about the difference between walking the beach in a straight line and following the swirl of the labyrinth. It reminded me of Providence Renewal Centre in Edmonton where we have held many of our fall conferences in the past. Out on the grounds they have a large but simple labyrinth cut into the grass. The purpose of it is to encourage just the kind of reflection you talk about in this piece. Thanks for the reminder to take the time to look around and enjoy the wonderful creation God has given us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy for your kind words. I'm glad you too have found the value of seeing life from different perspectives.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Gail, for this lovely post full of wisdom and grace. Lots of lines caught my attention and touched me. The following ones I'm especially pondering:

    "Then I left them in His care."

    "There is value in treating others as counselors rather than competition or opposition."

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gail, my name is Alan. I could imagine walking with you on the seashore. I could smell the salt of the ocean. I saw the kingfisher. I heard the laughter of the children carried by the wind. Our hearts beat together over your "concern for dear ones lost to rebellion and sin." Your post is a superb piece of writing and you have calmed my soul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail Neumann12:02 pm GMT-7

    Thank you Alan. I would be happy to walk with you and your loved ones one day and experience this beautiful creation. I'm glad you were there with me in heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, like you, I live on the West coast as well.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Gail. There is something about walking along the seashore that is invigorating both physically and spiritually. I loved your phrase “What happens to my loved ones may never be in my control but God gives me beautiful moments and cares for me, and for them.” Amen. Thanks for this sensitive and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail Neumann6:28 pm GMT-7

    Thank you Sharon. I'm so glad my writing spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this lovely, invigorating post, Gail. I especially related to "the value of seeking different perspectives" as you walked the labyrinth. When we "turn to the right or turn to the left," as Isaiah says (30:12), the Lord gives us new vistas and the right way to proceed in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.