December 26, 2023

L is for LMK ~ by Michelle Strutzenberger

How much do you pepper your social media posts and text messages with emojis and acronyms such as LOL and LMK?

Do you believe a day will come when such symbols and text forms will slither into other types of writing? Will longer-form, less transient pieces, such as academic papers, news articles, blogs, and books one day be speckled with emojis and internet slang?

If that day does come, will it be a happy one for you? Or will it be as though a cloud has darkened the sun?

Love and Hate

I admit to having a love hate relationship with the use of emojis and acronyms in my text messages to family and friends.

Emojis, for me, equal simplified pictures. Pictures, as they say, can be worth a thousand words. So, I love scouring for just the right emoji to convey certain feelings.

On the other hand, I squirm at using acronyms. For me, they reek of sloppiness and border on emitting a lack of love for the people I care about. Acronyms such as NM or WU shout, “I’m too busy for you to even take the time to spell out a full word.”

This is the line of reasoning I’ve taken, though I understand it may not necessarily be fully logical and/or the rationale everyone ought to subscribe to.

Averse and Open

As for whether I think these forms will and should eventually dot our other written works, the jury is still out for me. I waffle between aversion and a desire to be open minded.

I recently gave in to temptation and inserted a tiny emoji in of my blogs. The smiley emoji seemed to fit the context of my article so perfectly that I just had to include it, but I also felt strangely ashamed for giving in. I couldn’t help feeling as though I’d let my writing standards slip just a bit with this concession.

On the other hand, however, I understand that living languages evolve. They always have. We no longer use many of the words that snaked through the works of, for instance, Geoffrey Chaucer, which sits on my shelf. Here’s just one of the sentences from his book, The Canterbury Tales: “My thinketh it acordaunt to resoun, to telle yow al the condicioun…” (p. F2).

So, while my first reaction is one of aversion, I am also not ready to completely shut the gates to these “new” forms of communication in our longer, less transient writings.

All this to say that I’m still not sure what I’ll do should I, some day in the future, open an academic journal and find it crawling with emojis and internet slang.

Will I shriek and slam the journal shut in horror, as if I’ve just made a discovery of a cockroach nest?

Or, will I widen my eyes in delight, as I welcome these “insects” like a new source of literary protein?

Your Thoughts?

BTW, what do you think?

Would you say NBD and IDC if emojis and internet slang someday sneak into all forms of writing?

Or, would you 😲?

What about the Bible? Should we have an emoji and acronym-filled translation of the Bible? You may be aware that one already exists. (To learn more, click this link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/30/emoji-bible-arrived-god-king-james).

LMK what you think 😊.

Michelle and her family enjoy hiking mountains and trails together. She is currently sharing a series called, What Growing Up in a Mennonite Family of 10 Taught Me About Survival.

 

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me smile, dear Michelle.
    Just this morning I noticed an email in my inbox that had an emoji as its only text. Yes, sometimes people are too busy to give a longer reply. But I'll take a smile any day.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle Strutzenberger9:41 am GMT-7

      Thanks Wendy. I'm with you on taking a smile any day!

      Delete
  2. Ha! (Notice how cleverly I used onomatopoeia instead of an acronym?) To be honest, I had to look most of your acronyms up because I don't use them. As a former English teacher it was a sore spot and one that I had to explain to my students on more than one occasion: acronyms are fine in texts and conversations with your friends, but not for this English assignment. Most seemed to get it. I doubt that they will become so pervasive as to invade academia within my lifetime, at which point I won't care. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle Strutzenberger9:49 am GMT-7

      Thanks for your response, Tracy. It's encouraging that your students seemed to get that there is a time and place for certain writing features.

      Delete
  3. Hi Michelle!

    "If that day does come, will it be a happy one for you? Or will it be as though a cloud has darkened the sun?"--No, it won't be a happy one.--I will think, "a cloud has darkened the sun."

    I am with you on this, Michelle..."On the other hand, I squirm at using acronyms. For me, they reek of sloppiness and border on emitting a lack of love for the people I care about. Acronyms such as NM or WU shout, “I’m too busy for you to even take the time to spell out a full word.”

    Please excuse my frankness over your following statement. "As for whether I think these forms will and should eventually dot our other written works, the jury is still out for me. I waffle between aversion and a desire to be open minded." Okay, here goes, hang on to your heart. I'm not interested in being open minded if the sloppiness of emojis and acronyms pollute written works. At least at this point in life as I continue into older age, I hope and pray, writers maintain integrity to their readers and the craft, the skill, of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I have to add something. This is a great post and still gives me cause to ponder. Good job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle Strutzenberger9:52 am GMT-7

      Thanks Alan. This is well put: "I'm not interested in being open minded if the sloppiness of emojis and acronyms pollute written works." Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.

      Delete
  5. Gail Neumann1:30 am GMT-7

    This is a great conversation. We have long used emojis at the end of a letter to a loved one when we close with XOXOXO I have a feeling that when God speaks to us he often adds that closing to wrap up his word to our hearts.
    As to the new emojis and acronyms, their value lies in whether they can be commonly understood. Many are like Greek to me. Smiley faces are pretty obvious and can add clarification to a quick comment that could be interpreted the wrong way.
    Time will tell if they become universally acceptable. In the mean time I'm not offended by their use in a text or email but I'm a staid traditionalist for anything beyond that.....and I do punctuate my texts which must surely date me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle Strutzenberger9:55 am GMT-7

      I love your comment, "I have a feeling that when God speaks to us he often adds that closing to wrap up his word to our heart." You also make a great point about whether the new slang can be commonly understood. And I too still punctuate my text messages.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Michelle, for this thought provoking and humorous post. I also had to look up some of the acronyms. While I share your ambivalence, I think I lean towards using less rather than more. Thanks for giving me something to think about! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle Strutzenberger9:57 am GMT-7

      Thank you for your kind words, Sharon. God bless.

      Delete
  7. I agree with others that I had to look up what many of these acronyms mean, including when they're a crossword puzzle clue. I use only one acronym, an occasional lol, but otherwise use good standard English. Your post has given me much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle Strutzenberger1:42 pm GMT-7

    Hi Sandi, Full disclosure - I had to look up most of the acronyms before deciding which ones to use! I suspect this is my first and last time I'll use these sorts of text-message acronyms, unless it is to make a very specific and absolutely necessarily point, as I was trying to do here LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.