January 03, 2021

The Inscribe Inspiration by Lynn J Simpson


If you want to find more purpose in your life, help others find the path forward with their ambitions. Bob Goff, Dream Big (2020)


Introductions completed, I hoped the other five women would address each other by name as the afternoon meeting continued. I do not remember names easily. 


“So tell us about yourself, Lynn. And tell us about what you like to write,” the hostess said, sitting upright and pretty in her bright dining room. My eyes first wandered to the centre of the table where a delicate plate painted with red roses held an assortment of crackers, cheese and biscuits before settling for a moment on a mahogany corner bookshelf where I saw many familiar book spines. My shoulders relaxed. 


The ladies sharing the same space in that fine dining room are also writers and readers. They are safe people to share writing dreams, accomplishments and failures. They are ones who also get excited about unforeseen connections in a writing piece, laugh with me over misplaced modifiers, and truly understand that the writing process is hard work. 


A writers group around a table is a space of inspiration, encouragement, and constructive feedback. Anytime writer types come together you are guaranteed that there will be something new invented, every— single— time. Each writer controls their writing instrument, yet cannot be unaffected by the collective of the group. I’ve only experienced the positive charge from this collective of my small writers group that is also part of the larger Inscribe Christian Writers Society. I would not have become part of the former without the latter. 


Along with being part of a writers group, my Inscribe membership has challenged my comfort zone through entering contests, has increased my research skills through writing articles for FellowScript, and has allowed me to develop design skills by helping board members with the advertising for Inscribe events. In every activity I’ve only been treated with kindness and grace, even when I’ve made silly typing errors! Each time I connect with members of Inscribe, I learn something new that helps me to navigate my own writing path.  


It didn’t take me long, just a couple of more meetings, before I easily remembered everyone’s name in my new writers group. Now we also have a gentleman who tells us stories from places I may never visit in my lifetime. All genres are represented, I’d say. The members even graciously listen to multiple readings of my creative non-fiction essays, yet will also push me along to submit my writing for publication. They, along with all that Inscribe offers, have helped me find my path forward with my writing. 


I’d encourage all Inscribe members to prayerfully consider how they may be involved with this encouraging and inspiring environment. Maybe a piece is brewing within you for a contest or an article for FellowScript? Or maybe your skills are needed for the volunteer board (such as Treasurer that the board is seeking for currently)? How is God prompting you to be an inspiration to others? 


Lynn's writing is inspired by her adventures in nature. You can see her photography on Instagram


8 comments:

  1. I don't feel inspired these days. I feel more like I'm expired. There are some nice writers in the group whom I receive compliments from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are nice and honest writers in the group, Bruce! I hope the compliments will also inspire you to keep on writing.

      Delete
  2. I loved hearing about your introduction to your writers group which led to your introduction to Inscribe! I am so glad you made that journey and now look at you! You're on the executive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And that was not planned in my mind!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lynn. Thank you for sharing this part of your writer journey with us. I sense your enthusiasm for our InScribe group. I have to admit, your photography and how you use it in your writing gave me inspiration. I now only use my own photography in my writing pieces. Thank you helping me bring another dimension to my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Alan! Besides adding more dimension to your writing by using your own photos, you also do not need to worry about copyright sometimes required when using other images!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your journey that led to InScribe Lynn, and for challenging us to expand our vision and abilities

    God had a wonderful purpose for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.