January 06, 2021

Opportunity: What Inscribe Writers Mean to Me by Bob Jones


Opportunity. That’s the word that comes to mind when I think of how Inscribe Writers are a source of inspiration. I recall all the opportunities given to me by Inscribe.

The opportunity to discover my tribe. Sheila Webster was the first Inscriber I met and it was a Godwink moment. Monday October 26, 2015. That meeting changed my life. I took the picture because I understood the importance of this new beginning. The location was a Starbucks in North Edmonton on 127th Street and 136th Ave. It was a meeting that almost didn't happen.

 

Ruth Thorogood, the Executive Director of the Word Guild, Sarah Ball, the Alberta Representative of the Word Guild and Sheila with Inscribe Writers came together over tea, hot chocolate and some lattes. I was new to writing and suddenly I felt like I found my tribe. 

 

Sheila worked with me to start an Inscribe writers group, along with Charity Mongrain who serves on the Inscribe Executive. Sarah, and Ruth became friends and colleagues. I wrote an endorsement for Sarah’s book, Fearless in 21 Days, and Ruth wrote an endorsement for my book, You’re Going To Be OK.

 Sheila would introduce me to Tracy Krauss and as they say, the rest is history. 

 The opportunity to write. There’s nothing like other writers acknowledging your writing to feel like you have something valuable to offer. In December 2017, Tracy’s invite to join this blog gave me the opportunity to read the writing of others as well as make my own contributions. And I learned that there were other male writers in this tribe, like Alan Anderson and Bruce Atchison. It's fulfilling reading and responding to each comment and posting my own comments on the other submissions.

 

In November 2015 I became a member of Inscribe and started receiving the quarterly versions of Fellowscript. The publication further enlarged my world, introducing me to writers like Pamela Mytroen – “every story needs a little salt”. Fellowscript offers very helpful skills to improve writing. When I was asked to write for Fellowscript I felt like I became fully fledged. Validated.

 

On December 26, 2016 I connected with Sally Meadows and Ruth Snyder in regards to the Inscribe Christmas Anthology and a new opportunity for collaboration. Early in 2021 the Easter Anthology will be available.

 

The opportunity to share and learn skills. Being invited to present a seminar on blogging at the Inscribe Conference in 2018 in Wetaskawin, introduced me to the rest of the Inscribe family. It was there I met Pat Gerbrandt, Joylene Bailey, and Bobbi Junior.


 On October 2, 2017 Bobbi was the special guest at our writer’s monthly meeting. She shared her journey into writing, her publishing experience and writing practices. Everybody fell in love with her generosity, spirit and joy of being a Christian who is a writer. Following up, she resourced us with invites to enter writing contests.

  

In February 2020 Bobbi, Ruth and I were working to bring Jeff Goins to Edmonton for a writers’ workshop. Jeff is an inspiration and icon of writing to me. I was amped up at the opportunity to meet him and learn more from him. COVID ended that plan but not before I had an hour long personal phone call with Jeff in preparation for the workshop.

Losing the sight in my right eye this year paled in significance to losing Bobbi Junior on November 30th. When I read her writing, I can hear her voice. Perhaps that's what makes writers immortal. Their words - and voice - live on after they are gone.

Thank you Inscribe Writers. You inspire me.


Bob Jones
is a recovering perfectionist who collects Coca-Cola memorabilia and drinks iced tea. My walls are adorned with our sons’ framed football jerseys, and my bookshelves, with soul food. 


I write to grow hope, inspire people to be real, forge an authentic faith in Jesus, and discover their life purpose.


Please follow my writing at REVwords.com

 

16 comments:

  1. I so liked reading your story of your Inscribe journey. I am blessed to know many of the names you mention, and to have had Bobbi Jr. as part of my Writers Group. Her stories she wrote during our writings prompts were so refreshing and inspiring. I will miss them, yet as you mentioned, her previous writings live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a tribe. Limited numbers, unlimited writing influence.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for mentioning me, Bob. Let's hope we can meet in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent tribute to the many people whose paths you've crossed since discovering InScribe! I loved hearing about each one (and know most of them!) We have also been an inspiration to many and I hope you continue. (Side note: sorry to hear about your eye. I'm blind in one eye, too, so know how it feels...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I did not know we had that in common. Every time I read something by you I learn something new about you. You are an overcomer, Tracy.

      Delete
  4. I love how InScribe has played a significant role in your writing journey. Though small, it has had a large impact on so many. I love reading your posts here and on your blog. Losing the sight in an eye is quite a loss. I'm glad to see that you are still able to serve and write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A huge role. Relationships are the key to life. Even online relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Opportunity is a great word to describe Inscribe, Bob. It has opened up many doors for me as well, and the story isn't over yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Susan. Glad to be a part of the same writing tribe as you.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing how many people have opened up opportunities for you, Bob. And thanks for the opportunities and inspiration you have opened for others. I too am sorry to hear of the loss of sight in one eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People over paper. As writers we use paper or digital as our medium but our message is in the stories of people that we write about.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed reading about what Lynn J. Simpson (above) calls your InScribe journey. I also appreciate your title and your headings that summarize the opportunities InScribe has given you. I can identify with the opportunities you say InScri be’s fellowship has given you: The opportunity to discover my tribe; The opportunity to write; The opportunity to share and learn skills. May we all grow in our writing and in our faith. Blessings to you and your family, Pastor Bob.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, my Barrhead friend. One day I'll have the opportunity to be in Barrhead again and connect over a coffee at the Flower Shoppe.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.