January 23, 2024

Muses and Menageries ~ Valerie Ronald

 

Her golden yellow eyes glow with a million secrets ˗˗ a miniature, furry mystic. Curled up on a cushion by my writing desk, she purrs away like a gently boiling kettle, wreathed in an air of deep contemplation. My tortoiseshell cat, Pansy, is my writing muse. Having her nearby gives me a sentient being with whom I can connect while I create.

The origin of the word muse stems from Greek mythology, the name given to the daughters of Zeus who had powers to inspire poetry, music and drama. The modern definition is a person or personified force who is the source of inspiration for a creative artist. I do not actually believe my cat has the power to telepathically plant ideas in my brain, but somehow, having her near helps me think. There is something about her inscrutable demeanor that conveys empathy with my creative side. When I reach over to stroke her soft fur she will look directly into my eyes and give a slow blink, as if to say, yes, you are on the right track with those words. I approve.

Animals have inspired writers since the beginning of the written word, and literary history is full of lore about authors’ profound relationships with their pets.

Mark Twain had a fondness for his daughter’s black cat, Bambino. When the cat went missing, Twain used his literary skill to write a descriptive ad seeking his return. Bambino was found, perhaps due to the eloquence of Twain’s plea. 

Poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s constant companion was a cocker spaniel named Flush, whom Browning allowed to sprawl on half her manuscript page while she worked on the other half.

C.S. Lewis, British writer, literary scholar and theologian, lived on an acreage occupied by dogs, cats, chickens, badgers, foxes, rabbits, birds, snakes, and frogs. This menagerie may well have inspired Lewis’ inclusion of animals in much of his writing.

I expect there are statistics to support the theory that writers have pets in greater numbers than non-writers. Perhaps it is the presence of a non-judgmental companion that helps the flow of creativity, or the benefits of what I call fur therapy. When I get bogged down in my writing or need a break to mull over my current project, I relax on the couch with a cup of tea where, inevitably, my cat comes to sit on my lap. Stroking her soft coat, hearing her comforting purr, I can feel myself relax. She responds to me with recognition and affection, a connection that helps nurture the inner language of the soul, from where I write.

I haven’t owned a dog for some time, but I remember how beneficial it was to go on long walks with a canine companion. Getting out in the fresh air to enjoy nature, stretching my legs and observing the unfettered joy of my dog exploring the trail ahead definitely aided my creative flow.

I read of an equestrian whose horse would follow her around staring at her until she had the impression to bring pen and paper to the paddock and write. The horse then peacefully grazed close by while an entire poem flowed from its owner’s pen onto the page without interruption. In her re-telling she says, “I knew horses were creative, mystical, and mysterious, but I had never been outright used for my prehensile ability to grip a pencil before.” 1 Believe it or not, there is something to be said for the effect animals have on creativity.

Knowing we are made in the image of our Father God, we can conclude that we have inherited the part of God’s nature that cares for the animals. Jesus tells of five sparrows being worth only two pennies, yet not one of them is forgotten by God. (Luke 12:6 NIV) King David’s early role as a shepherd caring for his father’s sheep provided him with rich imagery for his poetry, the most beloved being Psalm 23, the Shepherd’s Psalm. It is not difficult to imagine David’s connection with his sheep inspiring his creative prose during the long days and nights of watching over them.

Do pets or other animals inspire you in your writing? I would love to hear stories from other pet-owning or animal-loving InScribers about what gentle influence animals have on your writing process. 

"Perhaps it is because cats do not live by human patterns, do not fit themselves into prescribed behavior, that they are so united to creative people." - Andre Norton
 

1https://listentoyourhorse.com/writing-with-horses/

 


 
Valerie Ronald writes from an old roll top desk in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, with her tortoiseshell cat for a muse. A graduate of Langara College School of Journalism, she writes devotionals, fiction and inspirational prose. Her purpose in writing is to encourage others to grow in their spiritual walk.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post, dear Valerie. Amen to: "Perhaps it is the presence of a non-judgmental companion that helps the flow of creativity, or the benefits of what I call fur therapy."

    As I read your words, my two lovely cats sat nearby looking out my writing room window.

    Their presence is calming. Their companionship is comforting. And their unconditional affection is inspiring. Pets are gifts straight from our Creator's hand.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald3:41 pm GMT-7

      From one "cat lady" to another, thanks for commenting, Wendy! Yes, I consider my cat to be a gift from God. She brings me much joy.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post, Valerie. i admit that I am not an animal person, (never have been) so I haven't had the kind of experiences you talk about. However, I know how important they are to many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald3:44 pm GMT-7

      Tracy, thanks for your honesty. Not all of us are animal-lovers, true, but I appreciate that you acknowledge how important they are to many people.

      Delete
  3. Elizabeth Danna1:40 pm GMT-7

    Well said Valerie! I've had cats pretty much all my life. My current cat is Cleopatra the tabbyco (ie. half tabby and half calico). She is sitting my lap as I write this. Lessons learned from her (and from Shady. the black Labrador I had growing up) have inspired a few of the devotions I've written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald3:46 pm GMT-7

      Thanks for commenting, Elizabeth. I appreciate that you found inspiration for some of your devotions in your pets. God uses all His creation to teach us lessons.

      Delete
  4. I love your post, Valerie! As an unashamed animal lover I know the soothing presence of God's furry creatures. My poodle pal, Charlie, is a constant companion for me. Often when I write, Charlie is close by. I let him know I am writing for a while and he will curl up and relax. When I am done we either go outside for a bit or stay inside and play with his toys. Charlie prefers playing with his toys, of course, but I find it soothing to have him close while I write. Thank you for your beautiful words here, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Ronald3:48 pm GMT-7

      I'm glad you are an unashamed animal lover, Alan! Charlie sounds like a perfect writer's companion, sensitive to your needs and always up for playing. Enjoy each other!

      Delete
  5. Gail Neumann10:37 pm GMT-7

    What an interesting concept Valerie. I had pets most of my life but not for the last ten years or so. I remember the comforting and humorous company they provided. They can certainly be an inspiration and a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie Ronald3:50 pm GMT-7

    I appreciate your comment, Gail. Pets do make comforting and humorous company. All three of my children are a bit animal-crazy, thanks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, Valerie, and I can definitely relate as we have a number of ‘fur babies.’ The following paragraph resonated with me….”Knowing we are made in the image of our Father God, we can conclude that we have inherited the part of God’s nature that cares for the animals. Jesus tells of five sparrows being worth only two pennies, yet not one of them is forgotten by God. (Luke 12:6 NIV) King David’s early role as a shepherd caring for his father’s sheep provided him with rich imagery for his poetry, the most beloved being Psalm 23, the Shepherd’s Psalm. It is not difficult to imagine David’s connection with his sheep inspiring his creative prose during the long days and nights of watching over them.” Wow. Beautiful. When I think of the privilege Adam had naming God’s creatures I am blown away. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie Ronald8:39 pm GMT-7

    Thanks for commenting, Sharon. Yes, Adam had a singular honor in naming the animals. I think he did a stellar job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.