January 18, 2024

Memoir, Memories, and Mercy by Alan Anderson

 



Our blog Moderator, Wendy MacDonald, wrote a magnificent message for our first post of 2024. Her thoughts on the genre of memoir moved this writer. More than this, her words became a motivation for me to attempt a focus on memoir writing alongside my poetry.

 

My first post for 2024 is an attempt at a memoir style message. I am open to suggestions from those more experienced in memoir writing.

  

Memories As Years Go By

 

A New Year causes me to look back on past years. Memories of all sorts come to me as a flood of bright jewels and as crushed gravel. You might relate to this. I pray God will continue to grant His grace to us as we journey 2024 together.

 

Types of Memory

I find the following points about memory useful.

 

Sensory memory: this is the earliest stage of your memory and often only stores information for a short period of time.

 

Short-term memory: this is anything you’re already thinking about. These memories are often forgotten quickly.

 

Long-term memory: also known as the “preconscious or unconscious mind,” long-term memory is information outside our immediate awareness but can be accessed when needed.

(Please see, https://www.webmd.com/brain/what-to-know-about-memories.)

 

Although I do not pretend to understand the science of memory, I know memories are indispensable to me. I mean, what would I write about without memories?

 

Memories Are Like Ink.

 

Like all of us, memories contribute to my life. Memories are the ink of what I write and the fuel of my writing energy. Whether I write poetry, short stories, or blog posts, the ink flows with memories.

  

These days, I am more cognizant of the value of short-term memory. If something significant happens or comes to mind. I write it down as soon as possible. I always sleep with a notebook by my bedside. Throughout the night, I often wake up with a thought going through my mind. I write it down before it floats off into never-never land.

 

Long-term memory is where a lot of my writing stems from. When I take the time and think through certain experiences from the past, the memory ink flows free. Even if years have passed since an experience happened, I can recall enough to bring the memory to life.

 

Memories of Mercy

 

I view my memories in two categories. I see them as “dark memories,” or “hold close memories.” They are all memories of God’s mercy.

 

Dark memories throw us to the ground, kick dirt in our faces, and crush our souls. They may cause us to walk through life as a ghost, a phantom unnoticed and unconcerned in the world. These memories, these dark episodes are not without meaning. By the mercy of God, support from those who love us, prayer, and one’s determination, dark memories need not claim our lives. If we do not run from them and take time to process them, we can break free from their bondage. This freedom can help us form our writer’s voice.

 

There are memories I hold close of loved ones, pets, and places dear to me. These memories are also reminders of God’s mercy and how He holds me close. Hold close memories form much of what I write. They let me know my life matters and has meaning.

 

When memories hold me close, the ink flows. Each letter, every sentence, every word, and paragraph, is part of a memory. My aim is to empathize with my readers to encourage them to know they are not alone, and they matter. Through the mercy of God, we can move forward even from dark times. God has shown and still shows mercy to me therefore, I show mercy to others. Without God’s mercy, my memories would be miserable.

 

My friends, hold close to your memories, for they flow from God’s mercy on you.

 

 


Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He is currently working on a book expressing the grief of grieving grandparents entitled “Hidden Poetic Voices: A Reflective Work of Grief, Faith, and Poetry.” Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine and the online magazine for Compassionate Friends. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.


14 comments:

  1. Alan, I hope you do embrace memoir writing. You have both the bravery and the artistic voice for this genre. The following three quotes from your post are perfect examples of your compelling writing style:

    "Memories of all sorts come to me as a flood of bright jewels and as crushed gravel."

    "Memories are the ink of what I write and the fuel of my writing energy."

    "Dark memories throw us to the ground, kick dirt in our faces, and crush our souls."

    I'm cheering you on, dear brother.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this tremendous encouragement, Wendy. I'm submitting a memoir piece to our InScribe 2024 Anthology so perhaps it will be accepted. Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this memorable piece, Alan! I especially love the comparison of memories to bright jewels and crushed gravel, and the hopefulness that we can move on even from dark times. I agree with Wendy that you have the bravery and artistic voice to tackle memoir writing, and to use it so others feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, thank you for your comments and encouragement. Yes, indeed, if anything I write can be of help to others then it is all worth it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post, Alan. It is important to remember what the Lord has done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Tracy. We can gather many memories through the life the Lord gives us.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing about memories! Memories are the ink that flows from our pen! I like what you said about dark memories “If we do not run from them and take time to process them, we can break free from their bondage.” Yes! And we all have them and with this freedom we can also give hope to others that they too can find freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mary! Yes, mercy is all about how God has forgiven us and how we can then be merciful to others. Thank you for taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the risk of plagiarism, thanks for the memories. A group of us were just talking about the various things that provoke memories, like certain foods or songs. And also how those can trigger both good and dark times. We also takes about looking back to see what God has done and how, in hindsight, we see His hand. Thanks for this wonderful post, Alan. Blessings on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon, no plagiarism at all. Sounds like you have an interesting group of friends. I hope you can have more times together. :)

      Delete
  7. Michelle Strutzenberger11:05 am GMT-7

    Thanks Alan. Your post includes much that I will be pondering - remembering, reflecting on. Thank you again. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I hope your year is going well. Thank you for honouring my post with your comment.

      Delete
  8. Valerie Ronald1:45 pm GMT-7

    Alan, thanks for the deeply thoughtful post on how memories influence our writing. I especially agree with this: " If we do not run from them (dark memories) and take time to process them, we can break free from their bondage. This freedom can help us form our writer’s voice." God doesn't waste anything, so if we can use those dark memories to tell others how He helped us through and refined us in the process, then they become useful. Blessings as you plumb your memories for writing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Valerie, Ah, a fellow kindred spirit! I appreciate you giving thought to memories and my post. Keep writing, my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.