January 19, 2024

Muse - by Tracy Krauss

 Muse. 

In its verb form "muse" means: to think or meditate on; to comment thoughtfully or ruminate upon...

However, writers tend to use it as a noun. "The muse" has come to mean that sometimes elusive, sometimes erratic, often overrated inspiration we need to create. There is a sense that we have little control over it; that it has a mind and will of its own and we'd better take advantage of it when it's activated. 

It's also a wonderful excuse for procrastination. "I'm not inspired right now," or, "I'll wait until the muse strikes."

I've got news. You can take control of your muse!


The first time I heard this declaration was at an InScribe conference about ten years ago. Murray Pura was the keynote. Since then I've heard many other "experts" say the same thing. As creative people, we control our muse, not the other way around.

If writing is important, don't wait for inspiration to strike like lightning. In fact, most of the time, it simply takes some sort of action on our part for it to come to life.  

Practically speaking, this means making a conscious decision to sit down and write, even when I don't feel like it. I give myself a time limit so the task doesn't feel as onerous. Ninety-nine times out of 100, I "feel" inspired before the ten minutes are up. If not, I give myself permission to stop and do something else. I don't know how many times I've done this when I have a post to write (like this one) or some other writing task that requires commitment. (Like NaNoWriMo) It works! 

While inspiration is a wonderful thing, make sure you're not using it as an excuse to procrastinate. Take charge! Take action! YOU are in control of your MUSE!


Tracy Krauss writes - and pursues all of her creative interests - from her home in northern BC. Visit her website for more including her more than thirty titles: tracykrauss.com

- fiction on the edge without crossing the line - 



11 comments:

  1. Excellent advice, dear Tracy. It applies to everything in life. And I agree it's important to also give yourself "permission to stop and do something else."

    These words of yours are worthy of being posted beside every creative's workspace: "I give myself a time limit so the task doesn't feel as onerous."

    I've done this with gardening, housework, and even grooming my cats too (It can be a prickly affair.). Usually I end up spending more time than I thought I would. But I allow myself to stop if I'm feeling overwhelmed. This allows me to feel safe to try again later. Life doesn't have to be an all or nothing venture.

    Amen & blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that it really does apply broadly in life. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Michelle Strutzenberger11:08 am GMT-7

    Thanks Tracy. You make some excellent points, i.e. "While inspiration is a wonderful thing, make sure you're not using it as an excuse to procrastinate!" I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Michelle.

      Delete
  3. Valerie Ronald2:26 pm GMT-7

    Great minds think alike, Tracy! My post coming up on Tuesday is entitled "Muses and Menageries", but goes in quite a different direction from yours. Thanks for the advice to take charge of our "muse". Even though I may drag my feet getting to the computer to write, it doesn't take long before the creative juices start flowing and I think, "I love doing this!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Tracy, and I am writing these lines in my scribbler of quotations - “While inspiration is a wonderful thing, make sure you're not using it as an excuse to procrastinate. Take charge! Take action! YOU are in control of your MUSE!” Love this encouragement to put faith into action! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our teacher does it again! I hereby pledge not to allow a muse to control my writing energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How true, Tracy!! While it's been said before, we need to be reminded again and again to take charge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.