January 09, 2024

Mighty Ministry and Modus Operandi by Joylene M Bailey

 



Modus Operandi (MO): 

1. A mode of operating or working; 2. One's usual way of doing something.


I've seen a growing trend in Christian circles in the last ten years or so. It is especially rampant among the 30- to 40-somethings, but I also see it in people entering their senior years. It's the idea that they're not doing/haven't done enough work for the kingdom of God; that there is so much more they should be doing to fulfill their purpose ... getting out there, making a mark, bringing in the sheaves. It's a kind of striving that undervalues their role as mothers or fathers, grandmothers or grandfathers, brothers and sisters, neighbours and friends.

Busy moms with busy children say, "I'm not doing enough for the kingdom." 

Caring grownup children who visit their elderly parent every day say, "I'm not doing enough for the kingdom!" 

How is raising the next generation of warriors not doing enough for the kingdom? How is spending time with a lonely elderly person not doing enough for the kingdom? Why is there this idea out there that if you're not shouting from a platform--literally and figuratively--you're not doing enough?

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands ... so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders.  -- 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

"So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders."

Daily life is just so ... ... daily.

Yet, I was just going about my daily life when, out of the blue, my neighbour asked me to tell her about my faith. I hadn't been preaching or quoting scripture to her. I'd been minding my own business, living my life.

People notice our modus operandi, don't they? I would hope that my MO included a quiet assurance as I went about my day; that the faithfulness of my life, the inner peace, the joy, the gratitude--all this even in a troubled world--would be noticed.

It's not about striving to be a certain way or to do a certain thing. It's about Him working through us, in our neighbourhood, in our families, in our faithful writing.

Right where we are, with who we are, and what we've been given.

Yes, sometimes God asks us to do hard things, but getting out of our comfort zones to strive to do work for the kingdom does not signify a greater ministry than something like befriending a neighbour. 

God gave you your gifts for a reason, and when conducted from a place of quiet confidence in the King of Kings, they are mighty. 

********

Photo from Pixabay



After a very busy season with family, Joy plans to spend the next few weeks breathing. Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.




16 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, dear Joy. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who finds this post a huge breath of invigorating air.

    Yes, people are watching us. But if we're too busy being busy, they won't have a chance to ask the reason for our inner peace. This season of worldly turmoil needs peacemakers who have the time to share God's peace with potential seekers.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a breath of fresh air to realize we only have to be who God made us to be, isn't it? Thank you, Wendy.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Joy. These lines struck a chord with me, “It's not about striving to be a certain way or to do a certain thing. It's about Him working through us, in our neighbourhood, in our families, in our faithful writing.” I was reminded of one of my favourite verses, “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8 Thanks for this timely and pertinent reminder. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourite verses, Sharon. Love it!

      Delete
  3. Wow and amen! You hit the nail right on the head. Thank you for articulating this important message and backing it up from the word and your fine example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, my "fine example" was really rather startling to me, actually. That I could just be going about my daily business and then be asked about my faith. Quite a God moment for me.

      Delete
  4. Amen, to your message, Joy! Amen also to the responses of our dear fellow writers. Your enthusiastic and lovely words give us all a great big hug and a sigh of relief. I hear you about not having to preach or quote Scripture. Our grown children notice how Terry and I live our lives in quietness and faith. They have even told us, "you guys seem so peaceful." We see this as all glory to God! Blessings to you, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, glory to God! What an example you are to your grown children, Alan. May God bless your faithfulness.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:59 pm GMT-7

    Thank you for this freeing and encouraging message Joy. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your encouraging comment. :)

      Delete
  6. This is such an encouraging post, Joy! Many years ago, when I was a missionary in Ecuador with three very young children, an older visiting lady asked me how many souls I had led to the Lord and how many Bible studies I was leading. I was taken aback by her questions. I always felt that my primary responsibility was to the children God gave me, and I am thankful that today all three are walking with the Lord.
    I like the way the Message puts it in Matthew - "living the unforced rhythms of grace."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that all three of your children are walking with the Lord, Lorrie. The world--even the Christian world--puts far too many unfounded and unhelpful expectations on Christians. I'm so glad you kept to your responsibility to put your children first.

      Delete
  7. Michelle Strutzenberger1:25 pm GMT-7

    Yes, amen. Thanks Joy! I have shared it with some family members too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a post that's worth so much, Joy! How simple and yet profound is your statement: "That I could just be going about my daily business and then be asked about my faith. Quite a God moment for me." That says a lot about the quality and faith of our daily lives, whether exciting or mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't respond to this any better than what's already been said. Word, my friend. Word.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.