August 30, 2022

Reordering My Distracted Writing World by Sandi Somers

Distractions Image by Unsplash

Everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.  

1 Corinthians 14:40 (NIV)

When I introduced this topic last December, I had no idea that God was waiting to speak to me about my distractions. And speak to me He did!!

 One morning while working on this post, I awoke with the Spirit encouraging me, “God is ready and waiting to meet you at your point of distraction.” I knew then that God’s invitation meant, not only to arrest my distraction thieves but to develop greater intimacy with Himself.

He revealed that I was to take each distraction, one at a time, spend time with Him to discern why it derails me, and ask Him to give me a right way through the potential landmines.

 One of my major distractions to writing became symbolized by an incident in childhood. In a baseball game at school, I was guarding third base. The bases were full. The batter hit the ball my way, and I caught it and reached out to touch my runner. But in my hurry to throw it to home base so the catcher could put out that runner, I almost, but didn’t touch my runner before throwing it.

Did I ever hear from my teammates!!

Not finishing. I sometimes don’t finish my tasks before going on to the next—leaving my Bible, notebook and other materials on the table after I finish my devotions. Or revising an article and not taking time to discard the old draft and extra notes, either in my hard or soft copy. Or not reshelving the books I’ve pulled to reference as I write.

 This month I’ve begun taking time to slow down, clear the clutter and organize myself. “Do it now—get it done,” my friend Judy suggested. Doing so will prevent wasting time hunting for that article draft, or that book, or those notes I left somewhere.

 It has been said that it takes 21 to 30 days to develop a new habit, and I’m conscious now to follow through with organizing myself.  Clearing the clutter and “doing it now” will become more natural as the days progress.

*

As I determined and asked God to help me and guide my next days, He gave me a beautiful image. As I visualized handing Jesus my need to live a better-balanced life, He quickly answered, “I give you the gift now.” He also revealed that once I’ve ordered my world better, I can accomplish more than I thought, and that includes more writing. And more writing means giving my readers more messages the Lord has for them.

*

PS. I want to thank all of you for your posts on this relevant topic. I took Bob Jones’ challenge to spend time in August examining and working on this issue. And because my thoughts weren’t clear enough after a wicked flu in time to post in my regular slot, Wendy graciously offered me today’s spot.

As I reread all your posts and comments, I’ve appreciated the vulnerability with which you opened yourselves, and how the Lord is inviting you to grapple with your situations. But more, you illustrated how time away from writing can be God’s appointments—to become refreshed and renewed, to spend time with family and friends, to help another in need, or to tend to an urgent matter. (We get holidays from work, so why not take time off from writing for a few weeks?) Your input and thoughts and strategies have given me excellent guidelines as I’ve explored my own distractions. 



11 comments:

  1. Dear Sandi, your post is the perfect close for this month's topic.
    Your words: "I’ve begun taking time to slow down, clear the clutter, and organize myself" have inspired me to keep heeding recent nudges to simplify my routine. Less clutter leaves more room for God matters.
    Blessings as we continue to adopt healthy strategies for all of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, for your faithful responses. I love how you said that less clutter leaves more room for God matters. It really does, and it gives the mind more space for God, too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am so used to you stating us off, but this time you "finished" for us and did it so well! As always, thank you for your insights and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. It was a different experience to finish off the month. I rather liked doing so. And thanks for your consistent affirmations.

      Delete
  3. Dear Sandi...thank you for grabbing my attention to your message. Yes, oh my, the power of distractions. They can be as small as mice or as giant as an elephant in the room. This reminded me of how cluttered my mind can be with too many writing projects on the go. Too man does not work for me. I decluttered down to three I can focus on. You are also right. Perhaps at times we need a vacation from writing. Well, as a matter of fact, next week, from when I am reading your post, my wife and I are heading out on an Alaskan cruise. I think I will be more focused on photography than my writing. Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan, for your thoughtful comments. Yes, we can have so many writing projects that we never finish some. Enjoy your Alaskan cruise with Terry!

      Delete
  4. Good point about clutter. We all need to finish up things and put stuff away. And as for vacations, I need one from reality. Our misleaders are doing everything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Bruce. Isn't it true that sometimes "the world is too much with us." (Thanks to William Wordsworth.)

      Delete
  5. Sandi, I will try to express how much I appreciate your post. Many years ago my sister suggested I give my day to the Lord and ask Him in which order I should do things and what I should be doing each day. The Lord reminded me this morning that I will accomplish so much more if I do things His way. Then I read of your experience with God and am more than encouraged. Thanks for sharing your blessed and intimate time with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon, for your appreciation of my post and my thoughts. I love how you're giving each day to the Lord and in what order you should do them. Wise advice!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.