August 10, 2022

Fighting Distraction Through Purpose by Christine Smith (Guest Post)



We won’t be distracted by comparison if we’re captivated with purpose. – Bob Goff

Almost a year ago I came across the above quote in my Twitter feed. Each time I saw it, I paused because at that time I was indeed distracted by comparison. Too often I had allowed myself to go down a rabbit trail in my mind where I named myself as being less than others. Less successful, less beautiful, less popular, having less time with friends, or fewer achievements under my belt. Comparison is not the only thief of joy that distracts me from what God is calling me to do. In the last few months, I have noticed that I am often distracted from meaningful tasks by becoming too focused on my negative feelings. This could be when I feel tired, sad about a difficult situation, or even restless and bored. Dwelling on the worries of tomorrow is also a distraction for me.

Since reading this quote, I have been reflecting a lot on the word purpose. This word has become like a beacon of light in moments of foggy confusion. Purpose has many synonyms (which I have highlighted in italics below) that can lead us out of downward spirals of distraction. In order to stay focused on our writing and other meaningful activities in our lives, we must know what direction God is calling us to. We should have a vision for what we aspire to become and accomplish.

Lastly, we need to be determined to follow through in chasing these desires. One post I read said that the opposite of distraction is traction, which is defined as an action that moves us towards what we really want. Do you know what you really want? What is God calling you to that will help shape who He wants you to be and guide your to-do list?

Recently, I made a list on my phone that I have for now called “Purposeful Activities”. My list has fourteen items on it, everything from giving loving actions to people in my life to reading my Bible to writing and even having a nap! (Sometimes we are distracted simply because we are tired. Never forget that Jesus took naps so we can unashamedly do so too.) Each activity aligns with the goals God has led me to pursue. When I feel my sense of direction is lost and I am likely to get pulled into whatever distraction is in front of me, I pull up my list and know that if I choose one of those endeavours I will be following God’s plans for me. I have also learned that if I am distracted by feeling overwhelmed from having too much to do, I must try to simply choose one task to get started. The last piece of advice I learned recently in a writing course is to “start where you can”. If one task is too difficult, try another one. Sometimes I have planned to do a certain activity at a pre-assigned time, but when I get to that time my mood does not match up to my plan. I have learned it works well to sometimes adjust to choose a different purposeful activity that still allows me to accomplish a meaningful goal.

Ephesians 2:10 states that “we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” God has many purposeful activities in mind for each of us every day of our lives. As Bob Goff states in his timely new book entitled Undistracted, “we need to realign, refine, and reconnect with the greater purposes of our lives rather than be distracted by the lesser ones.” It is my prayer that the Holy Spirit will lead you to discern what He is calling you to focus on and that you will delight each day in the good work He is doing in and through you.



Christine Smith is a teacher who is just beginning to write for audiences other than herself or her students' parents. She is currently exploring the world of beginning a writing website. Christine lives in Langley, B.C. and enjoys coffee, reading, being outside, and making memories with her husband and four kids.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Christine, for this honest and helpful post. I'm tucking away several gold nuggets of truth you've shared with us today. The following one is especially powerful for continuing to pursue our purpose: "If one task is too difficult, try another one.
    Too often I let the tough stuff stop my progress.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth Keighley9:41 am GMT-7

    I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for the reminder that it’s ok to take a rest. I a need to do that occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great quote! I am all for naps, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post full of encouraging reminders and helpful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.