August 18, 2022

The Distractions of This World by Alan Anderson

 


There are many distractions in life these days. Everything from politicians and their misuse of power to all too many self-centered narratives that only keep people apart. Personally, I am done with these types of distractions that interfere with the things that matter in life, including my writing. People do not have to agree with me, of course, and that is their prerogative.

 

 

This past couple of years have taught me of my insignificance to most of the world. I also realize I cannot save or fix the world. I can hopefully influence people I meet by being an example of a child of God. I am not saying this to sound noble. I am saying this to remind myself of why I live.

 

When I hear of tragic things going on in the world like the war in Ukraine, or effects of the pandemic around the world, I realize my limitations. I also realize with these limitations and how distracting world events can be, I turn to prayer. The world is living according to its nature, and I must do the same.

 


As a Christian I pray to God about His love for people and ask His will to be done. Others may mock or chide, “You pray? You think that is doing something worthwhile? Is this the best you can do?” I do not allow the naysayer types to distract me. I realize the so-called wisdom, or even compassion of people, falls short, when God is left out of the picture.

 

 

One of our Orthodox Christian saints, Saint Paisios, said, “What I see around me would drive me insane, if I did not know that no matter what happens, God will have the last word.” As Christians we can rest in these words. The many distractions all around us do not go unnoticed by God.

 

 

A reduction in time spent on anti-social media platforms like Facebook is also a reminder of how much a distraction such platforms are. In an ironic twist a post on Facebook is what helped encourage me to do this. Here is what it said:

 

“If you knew how quickly people would forget about you after your death, you will not seek in your life to please anyone but God.”---Saint John Chrysostom

 

 

The past two, or so, years. here in Canada has been a time in history where I no longer have faith in politicians. For us to be true to how God’s people are to live in this world, we cannot afford to put our trust in the world.

 

 

Let us be mindful of a writing prompt for this month’s blog post. “Our world is filled with distractions—technological, commercial, and more—that keep us from focusing on our writing and the important things in life.”

 

 


Another writing prompt pushes us a little farther when it says, “How do the Lord’s nudgings propel your writing and life forward?” Here, again, is a statement to compel me as a follower of God to shake of the distractions of the world. Please know, I am not saying I have been a success in this endeavour. I am still a work in progress.

 

 

Please understand I do not advocate we look down upon the world. We must remember; however, we are in, but NOT of this world. Considering eternity these distractions, even if they attack us, or end our lives, do not last forever. Our lives with God do last forever.

 

May God help us keep our focus away from distractions!






Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He is currently working on a book expressing the grief of grieving grandparents. Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.


8 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Alan, for the peace your post inspired in me. I'm so glad we have something grand to look forward to. This earth is passing away, and so we mustn't pass up opportunities to pray for His will to be done in all the areas you mentioned. Amen to your prayerful reminders. Amen to our prayers for courage, wisdom, and serenity during these uncertain times. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings Wendy. I love God's people. I also know God loves people. What else must I do than pray for them? You are in my prayers as well, Wendy. May God continue to direct your path and remind you daily, He loves you.

      Delete
  2. You hit the nail on the head when you called them "anti-social" media! so true. May you be blessed as you continue to follow Jesus call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tracy, I pray for your health and may God remind you over and over how much He loves you. As He was creating the world He loved you then. Wow, such love the Father has for us.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your wonderful take on this topic, Alan. So much of the world events can distract us if we focus on them too much. Thanks for your reminder to me that our God-given alternative is to pray in love for people and that God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, Sandy. Recent events in our country in the past five or six years remind of the blindness and coldness of the human heart without God. I had to realize how angry I could become. I also had to give in to turn to prayer and not allow anger to have its way. I am still a work in progress. Thank you for your encouragement my sister in the Lord.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this thoughtful and insightful post, Alan. I particularly like the lines, “ I am not saying this to sound noble. I am saying this to remind myself of why I live.” The quotation from Saint Paisios struck a chord with me and I have copied it into my collection of quotations. I hope you don’t mind. Thanks once again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon, Please feel free to use the St Paisios quote. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Blessings to you, my friend.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.