August 23, 2022

Distractions or Opportunities? ~ Valerie Ronald



Today I determined to write this post for InScribe Writers Online. It is now 2 pm. So far I have spent quiet time with God, made some changes to my Instagram account, played online Scrabble, cleaned the kitchen, hemmed some pants and snuggled my cat. Now here I sit at my computer, feeling guilty because I was so distracted from writing about distractions.

 Reading this month’s previous posts, I take comfort in discovering I am not the only one who struggles with distractions. For me to accomplish any forward momentum in my writing, there are some essential requirements: purpose, inspiration, focus, time, and quiet. The first three occur in my interior world, where distractions are usually overcome by my own will. I have learned to mentally compartmentalize my writing projects, so when there is time to ruminate, I choose which one to think about. This can occur while doing routine tasks, watching television, before I go to sleep. If rumination produces something worthwhile, I jot it down to refer to later. 

The last two requirements, time and quiet, are more prone to distractions. Even though in retirement I am the master of my own time, I still need to stick to a writing schedule or large blocks of it will be frittered away in other less purposeful activities. It takes time and quiet in order to get into the Writing Zone, so once there, I try to stay for an extended period with the intent of being productive. The Zone is where most distractions occur. The Zoner does not acknowledge the passing of time. The Zoner begrudges interruptions, like a bathroom break, or a husband needing supper, or bedtime. The Zoner resents the ring of a telephone or a doorbell, would like to silence every lawnmower and barking dog in the neighbourhood, and chooses to ignore hunger pangs as long as possible.  

These are unrealistic expectations, I know, but I can always hope. That being said, I recognize that some distractions are of the Lord’s doing and need to be acknowledged and obeyed, if possible. Proverbs 16:9 reminds me, “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” An interruption by someone in need is not a distraction, it is an opportunity. If my writing time is more important to me than praying for a friend with family problems, or a call from a grandchild wanting to tell me she loves me, then I have my priorities mixed up.  

Proverbs, the book of wisdom, also says to “commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans.” (16:3 NIV) That does not mean He will rubber stamp all my man-made plans (like six hours of uninterrupted writing time a day). It means when I surrender my day to Him, He will establish the plans He has for me. And that may mean some distractions He allows deliberately, so I can be His hands, feet or voice to meet someone’s need. 

Author Madeleine L’Engle wrote much of her classic children’s book, A Wrinkle In Time, while raising her young children, without the luxury of uninterrupted writing time. She tells of scribbling in a notebook on the kitchen counter, between making dinner and bouncing a baby on her hip. She learned to focus and create despite pressing needs and distractions. Not many of us can do the same. We can, however, discipline ourselves to pay attention to what is important, being attentive and engaged, whether while pursuing our call to write, or recognizing that not all distractions are meant to try us. Some are meant to use us for God’s purposes beyond our writing, especially conveying His love to others.





More of Valerie's work can be read on her blog:

https://wordpress.scriptordeus.com/ 


8 comments:

  1. Dear Valerie, I appreciate the wisdom in these words of yours: "...not all distractions are meant to try us. Some are meant to use us for God's purposes beyond our writing, especially conveying His love to others."
    Showing God's love--it doesn't get any more purposeful than that.
    Blessings as you continue to shine His love through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your always encouraging comments, Wendy. Sometimes when I am annoyed about a distraction, I need to stop and pray, "Is that You, Lord?" If I get an affirmation that it is Him, my whole focus changes.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post and can relate to so much that you have written here. Love your comment on committing your way to the Lord and how He will ‘establish the plans he has for” you. Wholeheartedly agree. Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Sharon. "Committing our way to the Lord" needs to be a life-long habit. It makes such a difference!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this well expressed post. I liked how you so aptly described the "Zoner" and how we can become almost obsessive when in the zone! I also love that you reminded us how important it is to get our priorities straight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Tracy. I often wish I wasn't such a "Zoner", but many years of writing prove it is my MO!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Valerie for this thoughtful post. Like you, I often have inner distractions. I particularly liked your comments, "when I surrender my day to Him, He will establish the plans He has for me. And that may mean some distractions He allows deliberately, so I can be His hands, feet or voice to meet someone’s need." I realize how important the Lord's "distractions" are as He guides our days and ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Sandi. Realistically, those God moments aren't really distractions but divine appointments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.