September 01, 2022

My Creative Space ~ Wendy L. Macdonald


September’s Writing Prompt: What Is Your (Daily) Creative Ritual? ~ Sandi Somers

In a blog post of the same name, Karen Stiller, co-editor of Faith Today, wrote that “highly creative and accomplished writers, artists, musicians and super-smart math people, all discovered how to work well within the possibilities and limitations of the space and the time they had.”

What are your (daily) writing patterns? 

How is it working for you—or not?

How could your ritual could be fine-tuned for better, deeper work?

https://karenstiller.com/blog/what-is-your-daily-creative-ritual/


Wendy’s Post:

I struggled to start my post for this month’s theme. Not because it’s not an excellent one, but because summer upended my normal creative rituals. But then something happened, and everything shifted into glorious gear again.

My writing ritual is rigid for long spells and then sporadic when the gardening season or new hobbies arrive. 

A love of tinkering outside amongst plants, combined with a growing passion for making junk journals usurped space in my writing schedule (and in my creative space). I was hooped. Guilt and shame shackled what remained of my morning writing time. Forgetting how much one can accomplish word by word and line by line, I fell into crafting and cleaning instead. 

And then something happened. 

I moved another desk into my creative space. I gave myself permission to craft and write in the same room. Except, one desk was for playing with paper, glue, and paint and the other one was only for writing. 

Boundaries are helpful for people who have a multitude of interests. And since I have stayed faithful with my morning quiet time, I knew I could be faithful again with writing if I set up stronger boundaries for myself.

I’d broken a huge boundary during the summer. I stopped reading writing craft books while eating my cereal and watched crafting videos instead. 

Oh, dear. How was a writer supposed to get motivated to write when every piece of paper in her den was calling out, “Pick me. Put me in a junk journal”?  

Reading Lorilee Guenter’s August post on Inscribe Writer’s Online helped me forgive myself for falling out of my writing chair. By the time I read her post, I was back in writing mode and had several new chapters of a W.I.P done. But it was her post that helped me realize that maybe I needed that summer break. Maybe all that fun I had would spill into my writing? 

Yup. My new chapters were more honest than usual and included more humor. And it seemed like God rewarded me for making a concerted effort to work better; a few minutes after having had a productive writing morning, I made a meaningful connection with someone in the writing world I greatly admire. Humbled to be able to converse with her, I teared up and had to sit down. That’s when God reminded me: I already have a much grander connection to the creative world—our Creator—Him. 

Thank you, dear Father, for using everything in my life for good, even when I don’t feel so good about my tendency to wander down crafting trails.

Paper. Yes, there are tea-dyed papers drying in my kitchen right now. Hopefully, the junk journal bug won’t disrupt my cooking duties. (Actually, I made a big pot of spaghetti sauce while I was puttering with papers.)  

Blessings as you find the creative rituals and boundaries that work best for you, dear writing friends.

Wendy Mac



Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and podcaster who loves to photograph nature on Vancouver Island. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.” Her main website is wendylmacdonald.com where she enjoys interacting with readers.

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I am currently at a teacher's convention and interestingly, one workshop talked about the need to separate our work and play environments to help our brains focus better - even if it just a different desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. It's sure working for me. Right now my craft desk has two projects waiting for me to complete. They're not tempting me because I'm focused on my other desk. My writing one has to-do reminders sitting in view. My reward for getting things done is getting to play with paper etc. (Though, this heat wave has me hanging out downstairs earlier than usual so they may have to wait until things cool off.)
      Blessings on your time at the conference, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a wonderful, cozy, creative space, Wendy. I think we all need to forgive ourselves during the summer months as the season passes by in a blink. As comforting as routines tend to be, I think the absence from them can actually increase creativity. After reading your post I need to think about my creative space. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sharon. I think you're right. Rest boosts our creativity. Dry wells won't fill the writer's quill.
      Blessings - Wendy Mac ✍️

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy! I admit summer can upend my writing rituals as well. For various reasons summer is my least favourite and productive season for my writing. Creative space is vital for me. My hope is to soon set up an area in my workshop and use it as my new creative space. I give myself permission to not be as strict with my writing rituals. I don't want my rituals to dictate even my writing energy but they do have a place in making sure I accomplish certain writing goals. Blessings to you and your family, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Alan. May God bless your new creative space with peace, joy, and a love of crafting with words He's impressed upon your heart.
      I'm excited for you because I understand how special a writing spot can be.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post to stat off the month and this topic, Wendy! It's so great to have a creative space, both in our outer environment and our inner world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. I like how you worded that. Yes, our inner world matters a lot too. It matters the most. I'm glad Christ is faithful at helping me declutter it when I'm still before Him. 🕊️💌 📖✍️

      Delete
  5. "Two desks, one space." Fascinating how mere inches can create a boundary that leads to increased creativity and outcomes. Thanks for sharing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I'm going to have to post an updated picture at some point as my husband blessed me with a lovely writing desk too. :)

      Delete
  6. Wendy, I love that you have a desk for your creative projects and one for your writing. Now you have a space and place for both with such happy results. Thanks for sharing that photo - I enjoyed getting a peek into your creative cozy space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda. I'm so spoiled I almost feel guilty. My dear husband just passed on a lovely oak writing desk to me. Now I can see the art area and the trees outside from my new vantage point. It's the best spot in the room now. I'll need to post an updated picture one day. xo

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing the update. Wow, a lovely oak desk. Beautiful blessings!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.