August 26, 2022

Owen Paul: "My Favorite Waste of Time" - Bruce Atchison

I loved this song when it came on the radio decades ago. Even the title made me laugh. It sounds a bit like an insult and yet it's a complement from a man to his lady. Check it out here.

Though I don't do much writing since I retired, my cat Delta is my favourite waste of time. She often rubs against my legs and politely meows for attention. If I'm working on something difficult and I ignore her, Delta will tap my arm with her paw. I feel I must stop and rub that cute head and brush her lovely coat.

Furry distractions are not much to worry about but spiritual ones are. As Paul warned his son in the faith in 2 Timothy 2:4 and 5 (Bible in Basic English), "A fighting man, when he is with the army, keeps himself free from the business of this life so that he may be pleasing to him who has taken him into his army. And if a man takes part in a competition he does not get the crown if he has not kept the rules."

Being focused on proclaiming the gospel, Paul couldn't always be with his siblings in Christ. We read in Ephesians 6:21 and 22 (BBE), "But so that you may have knowledge of my business, and how I am, Tychicus, the well-loved brother and tested servant in the Lord, will give you news of all things: Whom I have sent to you for this very purpose, so that you may have knowledge of our position, and that he may give comfort to your hearts."

Distractions from the gospel, and Christian living, also come from those we love. Solomon's heart was turned away from the Lord by many pagan wives, as we read in 1 Kings 11:1 and 2 (BBE). "Now a number of strange women were loved by Solomon, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites: The nations of which the Lord had said to the children of Israel, 'You are not to take wives from them and they are not to take wives from you; or they will certainly make you go after their gods:' to these Solomon was united in love."

In every endeavor, we need to keep our focus on what's important. A family emergency must be attended to but not that incredible sale on Amazon.







7 comments:

  1. Bruce, your cat is beautiful! Thank you for always making us smile while sharing wise words with us.
    Yes, family must come before sales on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delta doesn't understand about work. Food just appears for her. Cats are also easily distracted. Even so, they're so intense when it comes to being fed. I sure love Delta, even when she's being a pest.

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your songs, Bruce, you have such an abundance of knowledge. I agree with you that we need to be more aware of our focus. Your cat sounds like a wonderful buddy. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wise advice you gave, Bruce, to "keep our focus on what's important!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a cat lover and have my own furry distraction; a very demanding one actually. I always enjoy your writing, even if as you say, you don't write much. I hope you always choose to write something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I feel burned out, I sometimes hear songs which make me want to write a blog post. Once the grass stops growing, I'll have time before the snow falls to finish my Saturday Songbook project.

    By the way, I actually got a second piece of chocolate cake at a dinner theatre production of Footloose. The actors were serving the tables and I asked if I could have more chocolate cake. I said I was, "Hungry Like The Wolf," referencing a Duran Duran song from 1983. So the 80s fan brought me a piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.