June 06, 2021

A Writer's Best Friend by Bob Jones

Reputations are funny things. What do people know you for? The world’s best baked beans and bacon? Crafts? Creativity? Inspiring writing? Most people know me for one thing.

 

It’s not hard to imagine how that reputation came about. Eighteen years ago, our church was the subject of conversation from coast to coast and for all the wrong reasons. We set off in an unpopular direction, fraught with failure. It was painful at times. But we made it through a six-year quest to a remarkable new beginning. Invitations to tell my story came from across Canada. Seems as though the two things church leaders have in common are pain and a need for hope. “Tell me it’s going to be OK.”

 

PASSION

Requests come my way to write for magazines or speak to groups and there is usually one subject requested. But that’s OK. It’s nice to be asked. Not surprisingly, while crafting this post, an invitation came to speak at a Christian camp this summer. The organizers are looking for someone to speak on the topic “How Not to Give Up.” Some people have a reputation for passion or perseverance; mine is a passion for perseverance.  

Stamina is my forte. An International Marathon medal reminds me that I am a finisher. So is my wife. Give us a task, point us in the right direction and we'll make it to the finish line. Our maxim is, "It's always too soon to quit."

 

WHAT'S YOUR GENIUS?

This week, our staff took Patrick Lencioni’s, Working Genius assessment. Lencioni says everyone has two of six working geniuses. The six are summarized in an acrostic - WIDGET. The “T” stands for Tenacity. Yes, you guessed my working genius.

Tenacity gets me through writing books. Do you ever get sick of your books as you write them? Multiple times in the writing process,  the finish line disappears from sight. Grit gets me there. By the first edit all my head wants is to be done. Will puts me in front of the keypad. Finish.

Writing is not all inspiration. In fact, if you wait for inspiration, you’ll do a lot of waiting and little writing. Writing is a long devotion in the same direction. Writing is more perspiration than inspiration. Writers have to do the work. And do it most everyday. 


My granddaughter and I collaborated on a book two summers ago. Quinn was seven years old. She provided the story and illustrations. I edited. Last summer we added a bit more. This is summer number three and she is losing interest. I hear myself say,"We always finish what we start." By September, the story will have an ending. All it takes is one rainy afternoon.

GRIT

Angela Duckworth is spot on in her book, Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. Talent isn't the only indicator of success. Tenacity ranks right up at the top. Consistent and persistent effort, following through on your commitments, and dedicated practice are every writer's best friend. 

An interest in writing will get you to the start line. Tenacity will get you to the finish line.

Tenacity is one of the characteristics that can tip the scales for you. Cultivating tenacity will help you add one more chapter, write just 500 more words, or pitch just one more magazine before your work is done. Growing and developing tenacity is an active undertaking. But the return value is worth it.

Write on!


My running partner and wife, Jocelyn.

I write to grow hope, inspire people to be real, forge an authentic faith in Jesus, and discover their life purpose.

Please follow my writing at REVwords.com

I would love to hear from you.

 

12 comments:

  1. The poem “Don’t Quit” by John Greenleaf Whittier adorns our wall and I read it and am reminded to persevere often. Thanks for this encouraging post to keep striving and pushing until we “finish what we start”. I am not familiar with your story regarding your church but would love to hear it. And, I apologize for my ignorance, but have you a published work about that particular story? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. Love that poem! The story has been shared mainly in PAOC circles. It's a chapter in a compilation of stories called "Tenacity." We relocated an historic church from an iconic facility in an urban setting to a farmer's field on the frontier of Edmonton over the course of 6 years. Faced a few setbacks, lawsuit, identity theft and a few other things. Setbacks turned into comebacks.

      Delete
  2. Your post is so true, Bob. It reminds me of my grade 12 math class. I'm horrible at math but a friend urged me to continue as I had only two weeks left. So I persevered and the teacher gave me five points for sticking with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find your posts here very honest and to the point, while still inspiring readers not to give up. This post gives a hint as to why that is. Tenacity is your super-power! I like to think that I am wired similarly to a degree since one of the mantras inside my head is, "Just keep putting one foot in front of the other..." Great post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. I love that mantra. Its the secret of success. The marathoner's mantra.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post, Bob. It is so timely for me as I embark on a big writing project. I may have to refer back to it often in the process! I am reminded of Elisabeth Elliot's well-known quote, "Just do the next thing." That simple directive has helped me through many challenges where I've been dragging my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you in your project, Val. Cheering you on to the finish line.

      Delete
  5. Julie MacKenzie4:38 am GMT-7

    Thanks for this post Pastor Bob. I love reading your blog every week. Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Julie! Words matter. Affirmation is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your life story of "Tenacity." You've encouraged us all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.