June 13, 2021

Pursuing Our Passion & Purpose as Inspirational Writers - Wendy L. Macdonald


 

The challenges I need to overcome in order to pursue my passion and purpose for writing and creativity are the ones between my ears.

I recently got shortlisted in a hook-for-a-book contest. My nonfiction project is regarding a topic that’s near and dear to my heart. But my brain has been badgering me while I attempt to complete a book proposal for the final part of the contest.

I realized it’s a huge blessing to be shortlisted. I don’t want to waste this opportunity to have some publishing professionals I deeply respect give me advice on my work. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the grand prize. Yes, there’s a bigger prize for the winner. My goal is to get my proposal done and follow the suggestions that get sent back to me. I know I’m a student. I crave to improve my craft.

But my brain is battering me with unhelpful critiques regarding my dreams. It’s telling me I’m too little to aspire to big things.

I can’t argue about being little. What I can say is God delights in using small things to confound the largeness in the world. If God calls us to a project, He’ll help us complete it. What happens after that isn’t our business to bother with. 

Our duty is to obey. 

The inspirational writing life isn’t about the writer. 

It’s about what God wants to say and do through those who are ready to write for Him.

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 1 Corinthians 1:27 NIV

Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

P.S. I covet a prayer or two as I attempt to complete my proposal on time. I’m almost done. Thank you from the bottom of this writer’s heart. 

   


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your struggle, Wendy. Congratulations on the shortlist and I will add my prayers to others. You and the Lord have got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sharon. I appreciate each prayer.
      Blessings as you continue to write with Him ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  2. YES! Obedience is better than sacrifice! In the end it is really the only thing that matters when it comes to our lives. May God bless, guide, and and give you His assurance as you move forward in this and whatever else God is showing you to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. Yes, obedience matters most in every area of our lives. I'm so glad He grants us grace to obey one moment at a time.
      Blessings, dear friend ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  3. Congrats on being shortlisted, Wendy. What an exciting opportunity! Mother Teresa once said something about little things - it's a quote that touches my heart: 'I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.' Wishing you much grace for your proposal writing journey. So pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda. I love--love--love the Mother Teresa quote you shared. I'm keeping it somewhere safe. Thank you so much.
      I've sent my proposal. Now I can catch up on life and make plans for the next chapter in my project.
      Blessings as you continue to share the beauty you find around you ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your challenges with us, Wendy. I'm happy to hear you finished your proposal. I appreciated your reminder that "The inspirational writing life isn’t about the writer. It’s about what God wants to say and do through those who are ready to write for Him." That's the bottom line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm noticing your wise comment just now, dear Sandi. It's a timely reminder for me too as I endeavor to do the next step. Inspirational writers don't walk alone. We follow the Leader.
      Thank you & blessings ~ Wendy Mac :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.