June 27, 2021

John Lennon: "Hold On" - Bruce Atchison

In this song from his debut solo album, John reassures himself, his wife, and us all to hold on. Listen to this encouraging song here:

I certainly needed to "hold on" when I was two weeks away from graduating high school. A friend convinced me not to quit math class. Because I held on and finished the course, my teacher gave me five extra points.

The Apostle Paul certainly held on to his ultimate hope, as he wrote in Philippians 3:13 and 14 (Bible in Basic English). "Brothers, it is clear to me that I have not come to that knowledge; but one thing I do, letting go those things which are past, and stretching out to the things which are before, I go forward to the mark, even the reward of the high purpose of God in Christ Jesus."

Peter also wrote about persistence in the faith, as we read in 2 Peter 1:10 and 11 (BBE). "For this reason, my brothers, take all the more care to make your selection and approval certain; for if you do these things you will never have a fall: For so the way will be open to you into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."

Our persistence in righteousness, through the Holy Spirit's power, is a mighty force. As Romans 12:21 (BBE) states, "Do not let evil overcome you, but overcome evil by good."

We also see how our spiritual fortitude inevitably pays off in James 1:12 (BBE). "There is a blessing on the man who undergoes testing; because, if he has God's approval, he will be given the crown of life, which the Lord has said he will give to those who have love for him." This applies equally to faithful women.

Though I gave up on God for nine years because he didn't heal my eyes, he never gave up on me. Consequently I'm back in the fold. By his grace, I'll never leave him now that I know him properly.




8 comments:

  1. Thankful that God never gives up on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bruce, for the reminder to let go of the past and hold fast to God.
    I'm also grateful for His grace that enables us to hang in there.
    Blessings - Wendy Mac 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am so grateful that God doesn't give up on me. Thanks for this Bruce. I always enjoy how you bring something as simple as a song lyric or title around to a spiritual nugget of wisdom. Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the other side of persistence and passion--that God dowsn't give up on us! Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Father has many reasons why he could give up on us. But we see with chronically-disobedient Israel that he's amazingly patient. He understands our frailties. Though he knows every single bad thing about us, he still loves us eternally.

    I'm also hoping to make my posts into a devotional someday. It'll have 366 devotionals so the book can be used for any year. First though, I want to take a long rest from writing and flogging my work. Like a bicycle, I'm two-tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bruce. My father's almost 86 years old with health issues but he loves life and always says, "never give up." I love his perseverance! And our Heavenly Father, never gives up either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. It's why I despise those who figure people's lives aren't worth living. People are in God's image, unlike even our beloved pets. Athena passed away this morning and her last act of trust was to flop next to my bed. She knew she needed help and sought me out.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Bruce. My father's almost 86 years old with health issues but he loves life and always says, "never give up." I love his perseverance! And our Heavenly Father, never gives up either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.