March 13, 2024

Overcoming Overwhelm by Steph Beth Nickel

 


https://pixabay.com/photos/little-boy-hiding-sad-child-fear-1635065/


Have you ever felt like hiding in a pillow fort?

It was just the other night that overwhelm struck. I had several balls in the air at the same time, and, quite frankly, I felt like letting them all fall, shutting down my computer, and hiding in a pillow fort (or watching an episode of "Rescue Special Operations").

While I did finish writing the email I was working on, I decided that I needed sleep more than I needed to power through anything more.

And in the morning...

I was refreshed and ready to tackle the day. No pillow fort needed.

There are a number of other things that recharge my batteries and chase away overwhelm. Among them...

1. Going for a walk.
2. Doing a brief workout.
3. Taking nature photos.
4. Having coffee with a friend.
5. Listening to a podcast.
6. Reading a chapter in one of the books I'm reading.
7. Focusing on a single task at a time. (Close those extra tabs, Stephanie!)

And let's not forget the aforementioned getting some shut-eye.

This post has only scratched the surface of how to overcome overwhelm. Among the other things we may want to try are...

1. Determining if there are commitments we need to let go.
2. Learning that it's alright to say no when we're asked to take on a task we don't have the bandwidth for.
3. Reworking our schedule.
4. Deleting social media from our phone. 
5. Decluttering our surroundings so we aren't as distracted when we sit down to work.
6. Setting a timer and working on the task at hand until the timer goes off.
7. Establishing a ritual that tells our brain, "It's time to get to work" (i.e.: settling in to a spot set aside for work, lighting a candle, turning on some instrumental music...).

And, above all else, as believers, we ought to cast our cares on the One who loves us more than even our closest family members and friends. We must also ask for wisdom from the One who promises to give it generously.

How do you deal with overwhelm?



8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful inspiration this post has been, Steph Beth! I read it just as i needed to take a brain break from writing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, dear Steph. Thank you for sharing these wonderful tips.
    Overwhelm is something I've been struggling with for months. Sadly, it's not something that's always safe to talk about in the Christian circles.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, thank you for this insightful post. My reply might not be popular. After decades of ministry in local churches I became tired of the minimal effort even leaders put into the ability to help people cope with overwhelm. I fully agree with Wendy's comment. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very wise post, Steph. We all need to remember that we are no good to the "Kingdom" if we are overwhelmed ourselves... Self care is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:23 pm GMT-7

    I surely could’ve used this last week and again I’m sure this weekend and the week after. Thank you Brenda Wood

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great tips. I like the idea of setting a timer for a few minutes and just focusing for that small chunk of time. Also going for a walk is very helpful. Thank you Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfully practical and useful post, Stephanie. Thanks very much for tips that one can incorporate easily and get big results. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Stephanie. Great list of things to do to combat overwhelm. I like setting a timer (even if it's only in my head) because it lets me know that there is a finishing point! I often tell myself, "This is only taking up 20 minutes of my whole life. I can do it!"
    But definitely, too many balls in the air is a problem. As one who used to be that person, it took a long time for me to learn that I can't and shouldn't do everything. It's not helpful for me or others!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.